SiouxSports.com Forum

So Bresciani has a goal to make NDSU AAU ....

SiouxVolley

I equate it to UND coming out and saying their goal in 10 years is to join the Big Ten for all sports.  Cool, we got a goal.  But it is so far out of reach it's unbelievable.  The problem is the fan base will start to believe it.  (Irony:  UND would need to be AAU to join the Big Ten).  

Fargo (/NDSU) has such a good propaganda machine going with their "free in every grocery store" magazines of Fargo Monthly (/Bison Illustrated).

In this months magazine one of the articles title is: "Is Fargo's Economy the Most Diverse in the Country?" (Page 31)

I'm sure Bison Illustrated is the same since they are both produced by Spotlight Media. But I have no reason to read it. 

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 2

I equate it to UND coming out and saying their goal in 10 years is to join the Big Ten for all sports.  Cool, we got a goal.  But it is so far out of reach it's unbelievable.  The problem is the fan base will start to believe it.  (Irony:  UND would need to be AAU to join the Big Ten).  

Now how is that a problem?  I doubt NDSU or UND would ever sniff the B1G or AAU obviously, but how is that a problem if the fans or alums believe it can be achieved?

Bresciani has a goal . . .  that's all you really needed to say.   That alone would be very confusing for the good people of SS.

Edited by Herd

From the Bismarck Tribune, U of Mary announces a $272 mill capital campaign.  Must be all those rich Bakken widows putting Mary in their wills.   Mary will be AAU before  NDSU convinces the legislature to give them that kind on money.

Mary to DI and the Slummit!

Good iidea the state could use a second solid basketball team.

• 1 month later...

So, Byron Dorgan wants some accountability from Bresciani about closing their nanocenter, as in why NDSU didn't start an endowment like UND did for aerospace.  Lot of comments how Bresciani is tone deaf and shouldn't have his contract renewed this year, especially from legislators.  Get your popcorn ready.

So is the understanding that NDSU struggles to get research dollars when they actually have to go after competitive grants instead relying on the non-competitive ones they get from being a land-grant? I guess they should probably give out more tuition waivers to grad students, that seems like it would solve the problem and boost enrollment all at once!

• Upvote 2

Sometimes, things just don't work out despite some awesome intentions and well thought planning.  And it's hardly anybody's fault.

Like all businesses (I'm thinking of you, Places to Eat in GF thread), technology enterprises come and go.  Isn't the EERC, for example, notwithstanding its troubles of late, really more of an exception than the rule?  And didn't Lesko, er, Dorgan hand out lots of government cash to a lot of different ventures over the years?  Where's the accountability there?  And there are no guarantees when the government invests money…you could build a $5M hangar or a $10M runway at the AFB, and still have the bombers pulled out the very next day.

Leadership comes in different forms…prudence is knowing when to pull the plug or abandon ship (rather than merely throwing more money at the problem).

Not taking a side on this one, but isn't there always more to the story?

Sometimes, things just don't work out despite some awesome intentions and well thought planning.  And it's hardly anybody's fault.

Like all businesses (I'm thinking of you, Places to Eat in GF thread), technology enterprises come and go.  Isn't the EERC, for example, notwithstanding its troubles of late, really more of an exception than the rule?  And didn't Lesko, er, Dorgan hand out lots of government cash to a lot of different ventures over the years?  Where's the accountability there?  And there are no guarantees when the government invests money…you could build a $5M hangar or a $10M runway at the AFB, and still have the bombers pulled out the very next day.

Leadership comes in different forms…prudence is knowing when to pull the plug or abandon ship (rather than merely throwing more money at the problem).

Not taking a side on this one, but isn't there always more to the story?

Than the other side of the story should be told.  These are state institutions.  

The whole AAU thing becomes even more of a farce and ruse with the closing of the nanocenter.  Bresciani was just attempting to make political cover for his decisions and his school's incompetence, as nanotechnology was one of the few ways NDSU could make a name for itself in the university research world.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...