SiouxSports.com Forum

So Bresciani has a goal to make NDSU AAU ....

SiouxVolley

Apparently, NDSU's King Brescia night now has a goal to make NDSU an AAU school.  Didn't he get the notice that Nebraska was evicted from the AAU, because it no longer values USDA grants or research?

The UND president was out of town and unavailable for comment, but I'm sure they are studying the AAU landscape.   If I recall, they annouced AAU for hockey earlier, so they will probably be declaring that they will be pursuing AAU certification for the entire university in the next few days, as the landscape becomes clearer of course.

The UND president was out of town and unavailable for comment, but I'm sure they are studying the AAU landscape.   If I recall, they annouced AAU for hockey earlier, so they will probably be declaring that they will be pursuing AAU certification for the entire university in the next few days, as the landscape becomes clearer of course.

AAU wants to be the same size.  If oNE school gets added, another gets kicked out.

Nebraska and Syracuse are the latest to be evicted.  Take AG away from NDSU, and it's research is miniscule.  

• Upvote 1

No med school, no law school, research grants are mainly non-competitive and USDA related, want to increase endowment 80% (will still be smaller than UND's) and increase enrollment almost 25% in 5 years (worked well for Chapman right?). Sounds Bresciani finally found JC's old stash of the good stuff...

• Upvote 2

No med school, no law school, research grants are mainly non-competitive and USDA related, want to increase endowment 80% (will still be smaller than UND's) and increase enrollment almost 25% in 5 years (worked well for Chapman right?). Bresciani must be hoarding the good stuff...

But the Imperial Cass-Clay County media will spin it and sell it to the masses as the gospel truth. That obviously won't make it happen, but it will continue building on the perception (false as it may be) that NDSU is a big-time institution with big-time programs in everything (like Notre Dame) and that can generate a sort-of self-fulfilling prophecy when it comes to enrollment, attracting better students and better athletes. That is what the Ag College might get out of this. And that is why UND's next President needs to be a man (or woman) of vision and purpose, something the current regime sorely lacks.

U of Kansas and Iowa state are the most similar public AAU schools to UND and NDSU.  Both KU and ISU have multiple times the endowments of us, many times the research, and twice the studentsize that BrescianI thinks will get him to AAU.  No public U in a state under a million has an AAU school.

If schools like Oklahoma, Okie St, and Kansas St can't get a whiff of AAU, NDSU certainly cant, especially in five years or even fifty.   U of Nebraska, which serves double the state population and is essentially UND and NDSU combined, gets kicked out.

This is probably smokescreen for ammunition to go FBS.

Edited by SiouxVolley

Ammunition to add masters and doctoral programs at NDSU, but nothing to do with football I can assure you.

So UCONN isn't trying the get AAU status so it can get the Big Ten's attention?  The state is literally pouring hundreds of millions into UCONN so they can join an exclusive club.

It plainly obvious you are totally ignorant.

UConn, UMass, Virginia Tech, NCSU, Tennessee, UGa, Kentucky, LSU, Kansas St, Oklahoma, Okie St, and all of the MWC, and half of the PAC12 are in line but somehow NDSU will butt in front of them.  Please!

FBS is almost must for a public research land grant that wants to be taken seriously by potential staff and to fit in with that group.  FCS doesn't cut it with those snobs.  

An FBS Big Sky will have one AAU land grants and flagships.  Bresciani knows that a lot of what defines NDSU is the company they keep.  Oral Roberts, WIU, and IPFW are not compatible with that vision.

Edited by SiouxVolley

So the Forum's editorial voice, like a good little boy, says Bresciani's vision to BE AAU will succeed in five years.  It points out how Bobcat gave $5 mill to the cause and the visual arts department got a donation of over $3 mill.  Apparently the Forum doesn't realize the gifts  must total billions before AAU can be taken seriously and the visuals arts department has nothing to do with AAU, nor does AG research as Nebraska's experience showed.

Boston U, which has a $1.6 Bill endowment, was the last school to get invited, and excceds many AAU schools in medical research, and had to wait decades.  Georgia Tech was the only other school to get an invite in the last ten years.  Apparently, the Forum thinks NDSU will soon be an equivalent school.

U of Cincinnati, Virginia Tech, NC State, Oregon St, Georgia, and Oklahoma are just a few of the school's pounding the pavement for decades, but NDSU will get in before them on the Forum's and Brescianni's braggadacio.  The Forum's editorial could be placed in the Onion if it was satire.

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 2

Here's a link to the top research schools in the country.  Notice that NDSU and UND are well below numerous others in the quest for AAU status.

http://mup.asu.edu/Top-American-Research-Universities-2013-Annual-Report-MUP-2015-02-13.pdf

Here's the Forum's editorial that would win on Onion reward:

http://admin.inforum.com/opinion/editorials/3858345-forum-editorial-ndsu-poised-next-level

Here's a link to the top research schools in the country.  Notice that NDSU and UND are well below numerous others in the quest for AAU status.

http://mup.asu.edu/Top-American-Research-Universities-2013-Annual-Report-MUP-2015-02-13.pdf

Here's the Forum's editorial that would win on Onion reward:

http://admin.inforum.com/opinion/editorials/3858345-forum-editorial-ndsu-poised-next-level

holy I love it. This really bothers you, doesn't it? 

My surprise that's not AAU?

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY

Going down Volley's list, here are first few schools not AAU:

Utah, Arizona State, North Carolina State, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, Georgia, Illinois-Chicago*, Miami (FL), Colorado-Denver*, Dartmouth, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida State. (There's about another 50 or so until you get to the NDSUs, Idahos, and UNDs.) 

*Not to be confused with Illinois-Urbana (the B1G school), or Colorado-Boulder (PAC 12), 

holy I love it. This really bothers you, doesn't it? 

Ask any university research professional, and they be laughing for a week.

Business, law, and liberal arts don't count, so you haven't a basic clue.  If you had graduate molecular biolology, then maybe.

Bresciani has taken a very serious thing, and made ND a mockery to the nation.  Get it?  It's like giving a ribbon to all grade schoolers for participating in a spelling bee saying their international scholars.

Bresciani and the Forum should be the hands down all time winner of Bisonville 's preposterous award, but there is no one courageous or knowledgeable on that board to see it.

I would not take issue if a 5 year goal was Very High Research status, but AAU will take generations and billions.

Edited by SiouxVolley

So  belated congrats for NDSU making VHR status on one of the ratings services.  They can stand it line behind Montana State which has a higher and more diverse and less Ag focused research rating.  

BadlandsGriz:  What is your best estimate of the % chance that NDSU will be AAU in five years?

Ask any university research professional, and they be laughing for a week.

Business, law, and liberal arts don't count, so you haven't a basic clue.  If you had graduate molecular biolology, then maybe.

Bresciani has taken a very serious thing, and made ND a mockery to the nation.  Get it?  It's like giving a ribbon to all grade schoolers for participating in a spelling bee saying their international scholars.

Bresciani and the Forum should be the hands down all time winner of Bisonville 's preposterous award, but there is no one courageous or knowledgeable on that board to see it.

I would not take issue if a 5 year goal was Very High Research status, but AAU will take generations and billions.

Why are you letting this bug you so much? 

This doesn't make a mockery out of ND to anyone except mouth breathers like you.

Edited by JohnboyND7
  • Downvote 1

Why are you letting this bug you so much? 

This doesn't make a mockery out of ND to anyone except mouth breathers like you.

Im just a simple NDSU hater according to you and other bison trolls.  Never brought a decent point to this board except for hating NDSU, according to bozoville.

The other option is I detest liars, especially ones that have access to the press like Bresciani, the Forum, and Hillary.

Edited by SiouxVolley

Sorry, was watching the Lynx. Nice win ladies!!

I would say virtually nil. Don't think that's his point, though. I think he sees an opportunity to ramp it up a notch academically and he has to rally the troops. He also may be trying to plot his next job. Who knows ...

I also doubt anybody is laughing at ND for it. It's ambition, an admirable human trait.

As for FBS, the only option I see for NDSU is the MWC, and (correct me if I am wrong) none of those schools are AAU.

I think most people in ND would say it's cool that he's trying, in the same way it's cool that the Bison rule FCS football and the Sioux rule NCAA hockey.

It's a small state. We should all try to get along.

• Upvote 1

Also, the Ag thing ...

in 2014, NDSU published about 1000 papers - only 200 of those were in Ag. In the same period, UND published about 500. This is from Thomson-Reuters Web of Science. Different schools, different niches.

A typical AAU public school is about 10x higher - I don't see NDSU closing that gap in 5 years. Not possible (in my opinion).

Sorry, was watching the Lynx. Nice win ladies!!

I would say virtually nil. Don't think that's his point, though. I think he sees an opportunity to ramp it up a notch academically and he has to rally the troops. He also may be trying to plot his next job. Who knows ...

I also doubt anybody is laughing at ND for it. It's ambition, an admirable human trait.

As for FBS, the only option I see for NDSU is the MWC, and (correct me if I am wrong) none of those schools are AAU.

I think most people in ND would say it's cool that he's trying, in the same way it's cool that the Bison rule FCS football and the Sioux rule NCAA hockey.

I've longed claimed for over a year that the research schools and big city commuter schools in the Big Sky want to join forces, go FBS, which would effectively kick out the former teacher colleges, and form a mini-CIS of the northern tier states.  That is a group Bresciani wants to join, but he won't say that as it pisses off bizon fans.

We tried to get along with Chapman.  How did that go for the state?

Edited by SiouxVolley