SiouxSports.com Forum

GO WILD

Fetch

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-wild-among-sports-leaders-in-money-for-military-tributes/340884431/

Reporting on this practice — payments for tearful reunions and Jumbotron moments — seemingly reached its peak about six months ago and was focused primarily on the practice as it pertains to NFL games, where the Pentagon reportedly spent more than $5 million.

When that news came to light, members of U.S. Congress, including noted veteran John McCain, sought to put an end to the practice and dug into just how much money was changing hands and between which teams.

Per Deadspin, which has the full report on the spending via this post, McCain and co. found 122 contracts between the DOD and pro teams in the United States. Much of the spending, still, related to the NFL. But there was a very interesting team that cracked the top 10: the Minnesota Wild.

Your local NHL franchise was No. 4 overall and is the only NHL team in the top 10 of list heavy with NFL teams. The Senate report covered the last four years; the Wild has been paid $570,000 by the Department of Defense during that time.

I missed the last half of the 3rd last night.  What happened on the 2 he gave up that period?  Just good plays?  Or sloppy?

I've been a huge critic of Vanek, but that play he made on his second goal last night... wow!

One was on a powerplay when he got knocked down by own player and couldn't recover and the 3rd goal was on a breakaway where he stopped the initial shot but couldn't stop the rebound shot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blackhawks & Wild

Go Wild

Go Dubs

Nerve racking game!  The Wild really needed that win, and got it :)

Dubs looked like the guy from last year again - some really big stops.  The announcers were so biased, I thought we had the Blackhawks homers instead of the national broadcast.  The lack of enthusiasm when Pomminville scored was exactly like listening the St. Cloud guys a couple weeks ago when the Sioux scored.

Nerve racking game!  The Wild really needed that win, and got it :)

Dubs looked like the guy from last year again - some really big stops.  The announcers were so biased, I thought we had the Blackhawks homers instead of the national broadcast.  The lack of enthusiasm when Pomminville scored was exactly like listening the St. Cloud guys a couple weeks ago when the Sioux scored.

Huge win for sure. Doobs was outstanding and it was nice to see Suter get the game winner while having right handed Spurgeon as his partner.

When the Wild win a Cup they will get some respect from the national media. Hawks have 3 Cups in 6 years. They have earned the bias.

Sounds like he will only miss one game. Is it a coincidence that his wife is expecting anytime now?

I'm sure it's coincidence.  He got hurt and left part way through the game.  I highly doubt he would fake an injury during a game just to get an extra couple days off.

If it was a mysterious injury during practice I might think otherwise.

Last night's game was one of those "oh crap" games.  Get to face the backup goalie, but only leading 1-0 when he takes a shot to the forehead and leaves the game.  Gee, now you get to try to beat Lundquist when you had only gotten 1 past the backup...  Glad Henrik wasn't in top form!  He had some usual big stops, but still gave up 4 :)