SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-16 Season

SWSiouxMN

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:04 PM, lawkota said:

He'll get another year but the future is not rosy.  This is a junior and senior dominated team.  No soph has played minutes this year and the big freshman class has not contributed much.

His teams are very strong defensively although they have a reputation for play that pushes the rule book, to put it nicely.  Unfortunately, they do not score goals.

Wow, doesn't sound very rosy for next season at all then.  Yikes.

6 hours ago, Maddogg1971 said:
Until he starts landing kids like Alex Woken and serious, i mean serious blue chippers out of the cities and Canada,  a natty will never happen.

Hell he had 2 of the best players in the world in the Lammy twins and he couldn't do it. He needs to go.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

He is the guy they need to get. Had the privilege of coaching against him when he was the EGF girls coach. A great guy who is one heck of a coach.

The problem with that. Scanlan is a BSU alum.

31 minutes ago, Goon said:

The problem with that. Scanlan is a BSU alum.

That's certainly a valid point, but with BSU's resources, has he already hit the ceiling for what can realistically be accomplished? I'm thinking that's a distinct possibility. With UND's facilities and spending an amount on women's hockey pretty similar to what Minnesota and Wisconsin do, coaching at UND could give him a realistic shot at a title. Whether that and at least somewhat of a pay raise would win out over coaching at his alma mater, I don't know.

10 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Bottom line is that as long as Frost is coaching at Minnesota, they are probably going to get just about any top player they want.

That sounds like one of the many excuses that Shantel "I don't have any Olympians" Rivard used to use all the time. That attitude will result in mediocrity almost every time.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That sounds like one of the many excuses that Shantel "I don't have any Olympians" Rivard used to use all the time. That attitude will result in mediocrity almost every time.

No, it's the same thing they have said forever about York, and Berenson, and they say about Saban in  football, or any of the very successful coaches. Top coaches in every college sport are going to get most of the players they want. It means they are going to be successful almost every year and that they are going to be difficult to beat. But they can be beat. You might have to do it with underdog players or better conditioning or out working them or even a lucky break or 2. But those coaches will be favored to win most years.

2 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

No, it's the same thing they have said forever about York, and Berenson, and they say about Saban in  football, or any of the very successful coaches. Top coaches in every college sport are going to get most of the players they want. It means they are going to be successful almost every year and that they are going to be difficult to beat. But they can be beat. You might have to do it with underdog players or better conditioning or out working them or even a lucky break or 2. But those coaches will be favored to win most years.

As should our Men's Hockey Team. Or are we an exception to that rule?

And based on your logic, dynasties should never, ever end. And you and I both know that is not true. Look at the Gopher Men's Hockey program for instance.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

As should our Men's Hockey Team. Or are we an exception to that rule?

And based on your logic, dynasties should never, ever end. And you and I both know that is not true. Look at the Gopher Men's Hockey program for instance.

UND hockey is in the same discussion in college hockey, which is why UND is one of the top teams almost every year.

Actually winning titles involves more variables. In women's college hockey there are not a large number of top players. Only a few schools get most of them. In men's hockey there are a lot more. They are spread out to more teams. That's part of the reason 3 new teams have won titles in the last 3 years.

Playoff structure can make a difference. Every extra game you have to play is another chance for something bad to happen. It is harder to win 4 in a row without being upset than 2 in a row.

Dynasties end for a lot of reasons. Coaches leave or die. Coaches lose key assistants and replace them with the wrong people. Coaches lose focus. Sometimes they lose the players respect or attention as they get older. And some don't ever seen to end even when they change coaches.