SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

I got my email and had a pit in my stomach. As 50+ born and raised in Grand forks, I can't believe it's actually happening. I always had hope. I plan to wear black to work that whole week...

The Qualtrics email with the link to vote or the pre-Qualtrics email telling you to look for a Qualtrics email with a link to vote? That's the email you should get after you got an email verifying your email address as an eligible voter. 

So was it the pre-pre-email, the pre-email, or the email? :D 

• Upvote 1

Just in case anyone else was having trouble receiving the email that was supposed to be sent yesterday, I did speak someone at the Alumni Association today. Apparently, I was marked on their Do Not Contact by Email list which explains why I didn't receive anything from UND. If anyone else did not receive the email yesterday this might be why. You can call the Alumni Assoc and they can make the change for you.

They did let me know that while I did not receive the emails from UND, I would still receive the Qualtrics email that has yet to come out, with the specific voting link.

Hope this helps anyone who was having a similar issue.

I took a week away from any thought on the new name so I could come back with a fresh outlook and open mind as I try to decide which to vote on. I even forced myself to look at these names as if we had never used the Sioux or Fighting Sioux monikers and that we are just starting fresh.

Roughriders, North Stars, Nodaks, Sundogs, and Fighting Hawks.

The clear thought process doesn't change much....these are still subpar names for The University of North Dakota.

Nodaks and Sundogs are like Manchurian Candidate nicknames...planted only for the purposes of making fun and belittling UND down the road.

Fighting Hawks which I had been leaning towards prior to my sabbatical is just too Community College or 7th grade travel basketball team name for me.

Roughriders is just a nothing, blah name.....and taken by the local high school.

North Stars is far and away the best name of this sorry bunch and despite it being the state name of our neighbors to the East, it is what I am now leaning towards as I don't believe that the name chosen will have much staying power and we will be repeating this process in the not too distant future or better yet a name will evolve organically over time which will make sense and end up being adopted......which is what should have been allowed to happen this time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sundogs, an abomination.  The fact that it made it this far is a sham.  On top of that, it is a slang term for a sexual act.  If you aren't aware head on over and look it up on Urban Dictionary. *Disclaimer, its not appropriate so I'm not going to link it but it does exist.

I think the only reason Sundogs has made it this far is because of the noise B.R.I.D.G.E.S. made during late 1990's and early 2000's. I think someone on the nickname committee was keen on this horrible nickname choice. 

logos for each

roughriders-teddy roosevelt or a man/woman on a horse

nodaks-john wayne bobbit

sundogs-rainbows everywhere..everywhere. so many that tom dennis sobs everytime he see that beautiful logo

north stars-a star

fighting hawks-a hawk

pretty easy choice for  me

Come on....the suspense is killing me!

Its John Wayne isn't it? No its a Hawk?

• Upvote 1

I took a week away from any thought on the new name so I could come back with a fresh outlook and open mind as I try to decide which to vote on. I even forced myself to look at these names as if we had never used the Sioux or Fighting Sioux monikers and that we are just starting fresh.

Roughriders, North Stars, Nodaks, Sundogs, and Fighting Hawks.

The clear thought process doesn't change much....these are still subpar names for The University of North Dakota.

Nodaks and Sundogs are like Manchurian Candidate nicknames...planted only for the purposes of making fun and belittling UND down the road.

Fighting Hawks which I had been leaning towards prior to my sabbatical is just too Community College or 7th grade travel basketball team name for me.

Roughriders is just a nothing, blah name.....and taken by the local high school.

North Stars is far and away the best name of this sorry bunch and despite it being the state name of our neighbors to the East, it is what I am now leaning towards as I don't believe that the name chosen will have much staying power and we will be repeating this process in the not too distant future or better yet a name will evolve organically over time which will make sense and end up being adopted......which is what should have been allowed to happen this time.

I agree with you on a lot of things, even I don't agree with why you dont like some names, I do agree with your stance on North SStars and whatever name it is not lasting. Now you made it even more difficult for me to decide. :ohmy:

logos for each

roughriders-teddy roosevelt or a man/woman on a horse

nodaks-john wayne bobbit

sundogs-rainbows everywhere..everywhere. so many that tom dennis sobs everytime he see that beautiful logo

north stars-a star

fighting hawks-a hawk

pretty easy choice for  me

I figured the logo for Roughriders would either be a condom, a cowboy from New Mexico, an exact replica of the Grand Forks high school logo, or a woman with a front butt wearing "Ridas" mom jeans manufactured by Lee.  

Decisions, decisions....

• Upvote 2

if/when und becomes the RR would the alerus allow horses on the field to lead the team onto the field...I ask because the poop issue yet Colorado has bigg ass buffalos running buckshot around their field beforethe game?? just wondering?

Think we could one of these with "NDSU" on it? 

• Upvote 1

if/when und becomes the RR would the alerus allow horses on the field to lead the team onto the field...I ask because the poop issue yet Colorado has bigg ass buffalos running buckshot around their field beforethe game?? just wondering?

We already have "Cowboy Guy" running around the field with his hat and boots waiving the flag.  Not much needs to change except making him the official mascot of UND.  Hey, we could have our own version of Ragnar!!!:D

We already have "Cowboy Guy" running around the field with his hat and boots waiving the flag.  Not much needs to change except making him the official mascot of UND.  Hey, we could have our own version of Ragnar!!!:D

Bison fans stole "horns up" from Texas ... we could be equally sad and steal "guns up" from Texas Tech

• Upvote 1

On the eve of this historic and critical election, here are my final critiques of each name on the ballot, in my order of preference:

1) Roughriders: Connected to North Dakota. Unique within the realm of the NCAA. Marketable. Many good logo ideas. Rolls off the tongue (Riders, Ridas, etc.). Should stand the test of time. Those are my reasons for making this my first choice on the initial ballot. And I couldn't care less if a high school in Grand Forks uses it or not.

2) North Stars (or Stars): Would mesh nicely with our school colors. Unique within the realm of the NCAA. Marketable. Has a nice "northern" theme that meshes nicely with our state and our geography. Should stand the test of time. And I couldn't care less if it's Minnesota's official state motto; how many people are even aware of that? And so what if it pi$$es off Minnesotans who don't like us? That's actually a fringe benefit with this choice. It could also be shortened to "Stars" to make it roll off the tongue better.

3) Fighting Hawks: "Fighting" adjective at the front suggests fierceness and competitiveness. Marketable. Should stand the test of time. Many good logo ideas. Not unique within the NCAA at all, but I think we could differentiate it enough to make it ours.

4) Nodaks: Where do I begin? Plain, dull, bland, was used before and then discarded. Very few logo ideas, not very marketable. Does not roll off the tongue at all. Will likely not stand the test of time anymore than "Maroon and Grey" did for Grand Forks Central. Is probably a clandestine attempt to remain "UND/North Dakota" after that option was not included on the ballot. Which, in the minds of the Fighting Sioux hardliners is the next best thing to reinstating the Fighting Sioux name and logo and living with the sanctions that would accompany them. Many, many reasons to dislike this choice. But it still isn't as bad as.....

5) Sundogs: And now we have reached the bottom of the barrel. Where do I begin? Was the choice of the radical, on-campus PC group B.R.I.D.G.E.S. (we could stop there, but this is way too easy). Is also the choice of the larger PC community (just open up the editorial pages of the Heraldo if you doubt this). Is lame, milk toast and cartoonish. Is based on a weather phenomenon, which usually doesn't work very well. Will probably leave us with the friendly family dog as the logo/mascot (no offense meant to animal lovers and pet owners, I am both). Will not likely stand the test of time as it will have way too many detractors.

So there is my critique of the ballot options. Whatever you support, get out and vote.

• Upvote 2

Some more opinion - in descending order of preference...

Sundogs: Nothing more to add. We all know it sucks. It's offensive that it even made the final list and demonstrates
why this whole process is a joke, catering to special interest groups and not to majority wishes.

NoDaks: Sucks. Sounds hick. Whats the logo? That farmer from 'American Gothic'? It's not a good
consolation for not being able to just be 'North Dakota'. Give it up. 'North Dakota NoDaks' sounds lame. And UND is not a 
bunch of 'NoDaks' - it's student and faculty (and athletes) are from all over the US and the world.

Fighting Hawks: Bland. Boring. Zero imagination. Why not Lions or Tigers or Bears? Oh my.

North Stars: Not bad, some imagination, but it is related to MN and 'North Dakota North Stars' doesn't really flow.

RoughRiders: My choice, and pretty good. Fits the rough & tumble western image of ND. Unique and imaginative. 

I am an alum of RR high school and could care less. UND is a state wide and nation wide institiution. No one outside of GF cares.

Don't care its a condom name - didn't even know till now. Like many people have said, USC survives just fine.
Actually I kind of like the sexual conotation (take that PC folks).

Yes, the San Juan RoughRiders never were in ND, but Teddy was. And Yes, Teddy wasn't here all that long, 
but ND made an indelible mark on his life...

"I have always said I would not have been President had it not been for my experience in North Dakota."

"It was here that the romance of my life began."

... and that's plenty good enough for me.

Finally I say we PAY for use of this logo. It's would look awesome (just the horse head) on those jerseys...

aboutlogo.png

• Upvote 1