SiouxSports.com Forum

Make Your Case For The Vote

KirkEisenbeis

I’d like to try something.

My challenge for this topic is this: 

• Addressing nickname voters, state your case in fewer than 200 words.
  • Do not post on this topic more than once.
  • I obviously can’t police these rules, but I'm curious to see whether this can work.

(Hint: The shorter your message, the greater odds that your intended audience will not skip over it.)

There are thousands of alumni that have only loosely followed the nickname-choosing epic. They are now getting postcards from the Alumni Office, asking them to confirm their contact information for an October vote.

Many of these alumni will find their way to these message boards, but they won’t want to read hundreds of pages of arguing.

Edited by KirkEisenbeis
  • Upvote 1

Ok, here goes - Roughriders because it is not Nodaks (sounds like a slur against North Dakotans), North Stars (MInnesota state motto), Sundogs (you know why), or Whatever Hawks (up yours consultant).  Not a good name but look at the alternatives.  A sad state of affairs.  

Ditto.  Except a lot of people don't know the history of the Sundogs name.  I'm hearing from more and more people who think Sundogs is acceptable.  Just to make it clear, the only reason the Sundogs name is still a part of this process is because it has historically had the support of the small group of people who fought hardest to remove the Fighting Sioux name.  Sundogs is not acceptable.

And Irish has already broken the thread rules laid out by the OP.....:(

• Upvote 3

Just say no to (anything) Hawks. We don't need a cliché for a name. I can live with any of the others but prefer Nodaks because it is unique and analogous to Illini and Sooners, names that respective fan bases have long ago embraced. Additionally, Nodaks does not require assuming a new identity since it has historical use.

Edited by TBR
grammar

The state's unofficial motto is "The Roughrider State".

The highest award given by the State to a North Dakotan is "The Rough Rider Award" (including UND alumni Carl Ben Eielson, Cliff “Fido” Purpur, Judge Ronald Davies, Phil Jackson, Gen. David Jones, Tom Clifford and Chief Justice Gerald VandeWalle, and soon John D. Odegard). 

The standard for much of the NCAA is the state's nickname (official or unofficial) is the "University of's" nickname. (See: Gophers, Hoosiers, Badgers, et al) 

Better yet, it's not consultant standard (adjective Hawks), not a neighboring state's flag or motto, it's not what sounds like a slur to many of our state, and it's not the preferred name of the group that drove out the old nickname. 

The state has familiarity with the name; it's the most befitting the State's oldest University. 

Go Roughriders. 

Accept that RedRiver HS beat us to it & it would be Lame to copy it

Edited by Fetch
Insert video
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Roughriders. 

It ties UND to a known nickname for the state.  It has great possibilities with logo design,  mascots, etc.  It's the leading candidate for good reasons. 

North Stars is a Minnesota nick name.

Fighting Hawks isn't horrible, but it's too generic and is what every other school has adopted...a hawk.

Nodaks...cmon.  It's more of a slur than a nickname. 

Sundogs...is...stupid.  Plus it would please the PC apologists to no end.  

Roll Riders!

• Upvote 2

If I could vote which I cannot, but been a fan of all teams since I moved here in 1980 I prefer the Fightin Hawks like mafiaman said keeping the fighting means a lot. I am a central fan and Grand Forks already has a Roughriders team, do we really need a second one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If I could vote which I cannot, but been a fan of all teams since I moved here in 1980 I prefer the Fightin Hawks like mafiaman said keeping the fighting means a lot. I am a central fan and Grand Forks already has a Roughriders team, do we really need a second one.

Ah, the infamous Climax-Fisher Rule. I couldn't care less what GFRR thinks.

Think small...think what's best for Grand Forks and not North Dakota.

• Upvote 1

(apologies for a repost ... but it fits the thread)

The University of North Dakota adopted the nickname RoughRiders in 2015 to honor the brave men and women who serve in our military.   They epitomize bravery in action, discipline, strength of character, overcoming adversity and winning battles.   They protect our freedom and defend our way of life.  

Please use good sportsmanship as you cheer your team to victory tonight.

• Upvote 4

RoughRiders because it'd be lame to copy The Miami University RedHawks by replacing Red with Fighting. (and the other 200 NCAA teams with a Hawks name.)

Just say no to NCHC matchup of Red Hawks vs Fighting Hawks.

No other NCAA teams has any variation of RoughRiders. 

The SEC seems to do just fine whenever LSU plays Auburn (and now Missouri) and Georgia plays Mississippi State.  

Wayne Nelson shares my sentiments exactly.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/3845087-wayne-nelson-heated-debate-over-unds-nickname

Absolutely "no" to Hawks or Sundogs.

North Stars is somebody else's (Minnesota).

So is Roughriders, but more tied to North Dakota.  If this wins, I could live with it.

Nodaks says everything we need to say.  It even has a history of being used before.

• Upvote 1

Not really a fan of any of them.  I'm not sold on Rough Riders since any historical ties to the actual military unit TR organized are tenuous at best.  The unit was largely organized in the southwest for the specific reason they wanted men who were used to hot, nasty climates, even though it probably had some troopers from NoDak.  Besides, Rough Riders seems like a cheap and easy way to rip off Red River based on contrived historical convenience, regardless of awards, unofficial mottos, etc. 

Yes, I said "NoDak" as I've referred to myself that way many times, and I'm bemused by those who are offended by the term. (Nodak, please!)   Better that than being a "Pumpkin Head" from West Virginia.  ;)   Not really a fan of it for a team name. 

Sundogs and North Stars?  Really? 

Fighting Hawks?  Meh.  Maybe, if only because I'm fond of birds of prey. 

So, who knows?  I'll probably hold my nose and flip a coin for Rough Riders or Hawks, sort of like I do in most general elections ...

• Upvote 1

Roughriders is #1 for me.  I'm not completely opposed to Nodaks, it's just boring.  I've never viewed the term as offensive and Philadelphia Phillies and Illinois Illini both seem to work.

As for the others, Fighting Hawks is just a horribly weak attempt to hold onto "Fighting" (I could accept "Hawks"), North Stars is Minnesota's (I could accept "Stars"), and Sundogs stands absolutely NO chance of reuniting the fan base.

Yes, I'm posting twice and breaking the thread rules.  I do what I want ;)