SiouxSports.com Forum

NoiseInsideMyHead

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/und-nickname-search-complicated-by-trade-name-battle/article_edc62d09-e7e7-54ad-acfd-148f4ef6760c.html

Haakenson said he registered the trade names in an attempt to interfere with the nickname selection process, though a UND official said such an attempt was unlikely to succeed.

In Haakenson's case, all three trade names are registered as "Real Estate - Personal." 

Haakenson expressed confidence in his effort and said he sees his effort as ultimately working to return UND to the Fighting Sioux.

"I will predict that sometime in the future, maybe long after I'm dead and gone, the name will come back," he said.

Haakenson, who attended North Dakota State University but says he's a supporter of the Fighting Sioux nickname, said he registered the trade names Fighting Hawks, Nodaks and North Stars with the North Dakota secretary of state in order to prevent UND from using them.

Here is the real motivation of this jack-wagon doing this. Going back to the Fighting Sioux nickname would mean crippling sanctions for UND. And which school in the State of North Dakota would benefit from that? That's right, good old FU! :angry:

This will come to nothing anyway, as he didn't register Roughriders, which is what I think will win the vote anyway. Then this guy can whine and moan and complain all he wants, but he will have just two courses of action left to choose from: 1) nothing and/or 2) like it.

Let's all support Roughriders and put this FU secret agent in his place where he belongs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have always been unhappy with to little to late

But this is to stupid & way to late

But better late than never just shows there are so many who hate what has happened 

Wish there had been someone of mature intelligence & leadership who would of got the masses together & fought the good fight & would of destroyed the PC crowd & brought all involved to a winning conclusion 

Facepalm to this administration if they didn't already register the five remaining options for "athletic sports teams."

Which I have a feeling they haven't.....*facepalm.*

Because if they did, it would have been reported.

You may be missing the point. It's a little hard to "register" that which you are not using. Yet, this yahoo goes and files papers with the state claiming to be engaging in the real estate business under all three names, admittedly for the sole purpose of sabotaging the University's nickname process. Kind of makes one wonder whether the whole thing is a sham but who knows, maybe he really is branching out with three new start-ups and wants to compete with himself in the marketplace. :silly:

Last I checked, filing bogus papers with the government was somewhat frowned upon.

• Upvote 1

You may be missing the point. It's a little hard to "register" that which you are not using. Yet, this yahoo goes and files papers with the state claiming to be engaging in the real estate business under all three names, admittedly for the sole purpose of sabotaging the University's nickname process. Kind of makes one wonder whether the whole thing is a sham but who knows, maybe he really is branching out with three new start-ups and wants to compete with himself in the marketplace. :silly:

Last I checked, filing bogus papers with the government was somewhat frowned upon.

Either way he owns those three trademarks currently for that purpose. Its better to have all of them and lose others than hoping to get one and finding out they are already registered.

You can register anything with the state. You register it when you want to start using it. Its different than a trademark. You don't have to prove you are currently using it. You just have to keep paying the fees to keep it active with the state. Its a trade name.Even so, he could place a $10 ad in a newspaper once a year per name and call it good. I can start the same business with three different names. Nothing illegal doing that. Its like a subsidiary. Maybe those "subsidiarys" might fail within the first year...so be it.

But my point which maybe you're missing is that it would be a shame if UND hasn't registered the remaining names with the state already for the intented purposes. This might be a wake up call to UND to get their sh!t together.

Edited by Cratter

Either way he owns those three trademarks currently for that purpose. Its better to have all of them and lose others than hoping to get one and finding out they are already registered.

You can register anything with the state. You register it when you want to start using it. Its different than a trademark. You don't have to prove you are currently using it. You just have to keep paying the fees to keep it active with the state. Its a trade name.Even so, he could place a $10 ad in a newspaper once a year per name and call it good. I can start the same business with three different names. Nothing illegal doing that. Its like a subsidiary. Maybe those "subsidiarys" might fail within the first year...so be it.

But my point which maybe you're missing is that it would be a shame if UND hasn't registered the remaining names with the state already for the intented purposes. This might be a wake up call to UND to get their sh!t together.

He doesn't own the trademarks, he owns the trade names. There are plenty of examples where very similar trade names are allowed in different industries. There are more than 20 different trade names in North Dakota using the word Nodak. There are a large number of ways that UND can use any of those names for college sports when he has them registered as trade names for real estate. At most this looks like another minor annoyance.

Just so people know, neither Sioux nor Fighting Sioux were registered trade names. Both were registered as trademarks. Fighting Sioux Club was registered as a trade name. Champions Club, ND Champions Club and North Dakota Champions Club are all registered as trade names, and North Dakota Champions Club is also registered as a trademark.

• Upvote 2

I should have said "he owns those three trade names. ".... Which I later wrote" it's different than a trademark." & "it's a trade name."

My point: What's to stop the next guy from trademarking and/or tradename the names for his college basement athletic teams consisting of air hockey and Foosball. That he also wants to sell shirts for online. Then someone takes UND to court for using North Dakota Fighting Hawks when UND with its infinite wisdom could have avoided the whole mess. 

I messed up on a message board.  The Herald messes up a much read headline. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/3838901-former-bismarck-mayor-registers-trademarks-state-3-5-und-nickname-options

Edited by Cratter

I should have said "he owns those three trade names. ".... Which I later wrote" it's different than a trademark. 

What's to stop the next guy from trademarking the names for his basement athletic teams consisting of air hockey and Foosball. That he also wants to sell shirts for online.  

I messed up on a message board.  The Herald messes up a much read headline. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/region/3838901-former-bismarck-mayor-registers-trademarks-state-3-5-und-nickname-options

The Herald messes up headlines a lot.

• Upvote 3

Here is the real motivation of this jack-wagon doing this. Going back to the Fighting Sioux nickname would mean crippling sanctions for UND. And which school in the State of North Dakota would benefit from that? That's right, good old FU! :angry:

Notice he didn't register for Sundogs?  And tried but was denied for Rough Riders?  Tells me the Sioux angle is BS, and he's just trying to force Sundogs on the school.

• Upvote 1

My point: What's to stop the next guy from trademarking and/or tradename the names for his college basement athletic teams consisting of air hockey and Foosball. That he also wants to sell shirts for online. Then someone takes UND to court for using North Dakota Fighting Hawks when UND with its infinite wisdom could have avoided the whole mess. 

How?

Registered a trade name it doesn't need?  (Hint: UND is going to continue to be known and do business as the "University of North Dakota.")

Registered a trademark it isn't using?  (Hint: All UND has is a list of five potential candidates for adoption and no present intent to use any of them, even though it might intend to use one of them.)

Please enlighten the masses, oh sage one.  We're dying to hear your proposed solutions.

Notice he didn't register for Sundogs?  And tried but was denied for Rough Riders?  Tells me the Sioux angle is BS, and he's just trying to force Sundogs on the school.

He tried but was denied for Sundogs as well.

Not sure what people are concerned about this for, it will have literally no impact on what UND does.  The guy is going through a lot of paperwork for no reason.  He's not even coming close to accomplishing what he thinks he is.

• Upvote 1

He tried but was denied for Sundogs as well.

Not sure what people are concerned about this for, it will have literally no impact on what UND does.  The guy is going through a lot of paperwork for no reason.  He's not even coming close to accomplishing what he thinks he is.

Somethings not making sense here.? On one hand the University is saying that having the names registered is irrelevant with respect to their ability to use it as a nickname while on the other hand this gentleman was not able to even register two of them? In other words if one entity registering a name does not impede another from using it then why wouldn't one be able to register a name which was similar to another?  

If the answer is that one entity can use a trade nand of another IF the other is using it "in a different industry" then why would the Secretary of State disallow Haakenson from registering the Sundogs and roughriders?

• Upvote 1

Somethings not making sense here.? On one hand the University is saying that having the names registered is irrelevant with respect to their ability to use it as a nickname while on the other hand this gentleman was not able to even register two of them? In other words if one entity registering a name does not impede another from using it then why wouldn't one be able to register a name which was similar to another?  

If the answer is that one entity can use a trade nand of another IF the other is using it "in a different industry" then why would the Secretary of State disallow Haakenson from registering the Sundogs and roughriders?

I have no clue what Haakenson was trying to do or go about it and from reading the article, I'm not sure if he did either.  That is probably where the issue lies but I'm not sure, nor do I think it really matters.

Wild guess here...some entity is already using Sundogs and Roughriders (or something extremely similar) in the same industry.

Wild guess here...some entity is already using Sundogs and Roughriders (or something extremely similar) in the same industry.

Yes that would be a scenario that would make sense but I'm thinking what are the odds that in North Dakota, population 12, there are real estate companies with the names sundog and Roughrider?  I'm thinking maybe RoughRider but Sundog? I don't know, maybe??

I'm sure without to much effort this can be looked up.

Facepalm to this administration if they didn't already register the five remaining options for "athletic sports teams."

Which I have a feeling they haven't.....*facepalm.*

Because if they did, it would have been reported.

all of this "It's going to be okay" from petey Johnson really makes me think my guy/gal inside twamley is telling the truth about the north stars already being chosen...the nhl and or dallas stars ownsthe rights to the "north stars" so all we had to do is buy it and its ours.

all of this "It's going to be okay" from petey Johnson really makes me think my guy/gal inside twamley is telling the truth about the north stars already being chosen...the nhl and or dallas stars ownsthe rights to the "north stars" so all we had to do is buy it and its ours.

Someone owns RoughRiders also, and he's a UND guy (see: USHL Cedar Rapids). 

Edited by The Sicatoka

Conspiracy theories sure are fun aren't they!!  :) Seriously, do you really think "the fix is in"?  Come on man!!!