SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

NDSU isn't ever moving up.  They will be the kings of the D2, and with as big of a talent gap there is between schools in D2 division (yeah Makato State...Augie) they will the kings forever.

and then the 90's happened and they took their balls and ran away...

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and then the 90's happened and they took their balls and ran away...

The alumni of UND need  to step up and help create jobs in GF if they care about UNDs future. Fargo SU backers can point to the big difference in the cities that has happened over the past 20 years.GF has fallen way behind.

UND is a state flagship U. We are not  a tiny private school. You guys who don't live here want Gf to be a good place but it's not on your radar as much as us who live here. GF needs higher paying jobs who can buy tickets to games.

why is it always Fargo and Bismarck with the exciting growth and jobs. It can happen in GF as well as any other city. If you look at the weather on average 2 degrees a day difference between Fargo and GF. If those cities can do it GF can do it. Just get out the word to people who care and can do something about it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, moser53 said:

The alumni of UND need  to step up and help create jobs in GF if they care about UNDs future. Fargo SU backers can point to the big difference in the cities that has happened over the past 20 years.GF has fallen way behind.

UND is a state flagship U. We are not  a tiny private school. You guys who don't live here want Gf to be a good place but it's not on your radar as much as us who live here. GF needs higher paying jobs who can buy tickets to games.

why is it always Fargo and Bismarck with the exciting growth and jobs. It can happen in GF as well as any other city. If you look at the weather on average 2 degrees a day difference between Fargo and GF. If those cities can do it GF can do it. Just get out the word to people who care and can do something about it.

?

10 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Being in a bigger city has little to do with it. If that meant anything at all, then Minnesota would have more success in the B1G compared to schools that are not in heavily populated metro areas like MSP. It's about priorities and choices. NDSU perfectly managed their D1 transition, while UND flubbed it big-time. That has long-term consequences, as we are seeing right now.

This AD hire is absolutely critical to changing the narrative around here. And the sooner we change it, the better. I am seeing way more NDSU stuff in Grand Forks than I ever have. And it is absolutely nauseating. :angry:

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Being in a bigger city has little to do with it. If that meant anything at all, then Minnesota would have more success in the B1G compared to schools that are not in heavily populated metro areas like MSP. It's about priorities and choices. NDSU perfectly managed their D1 transition, while UND flubbed it big-time. That has long-term consequences, as we are seeing right now.

This AD hire is absolutely critical to changing the narrative around here. And the sooner we change it, the better. I am seeing way more NDSU stuff in Grand Forks than I ever have. And it is absolutely nauseating. :angry:

Corporate $ has a lot to do with SUs rise.10 times more corporate $ in Fargo. Look at the tailgate rigs.Every city has different power struggles. Mpls  the pros get the attention.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Corporate $ has a lot to do with SUs rise.10 times more corporate $ in Fargo. Look at the tailgate rigs.Every city has different power struggles. Mpls  the pros get the attention.

So it's all about corporate $$$$$?

I don't think so.

Why did it take years to raise enough money for the BSA renovation? You make it sound like they can fund whatever they want out of their pocket.

All the cash in the world won't make a difference if you don't make good decisions (when to move to D1; whom to hire). NDSU has made good decisions since moving up to D1. UND has wasted a lot of time and energy on the nickname fight and made a lot of bad hires (Buning, Mussman, Jones).

And you make Fargo sound like Minneapolis. They are not. NDSU's athletic budget is a drop in the bucket compared to P5 and some of the larger G5 schools.

Both schools are NDUS institutions. Both have state budget issues. And the enrollments are not all that different.

Based on your hypothesis, we should just give up and go back to D2 and the NSIC. :silly:

• Upvote 1

Just now, moser53 said:

If SU starts a program and that $ and fans slowly stay in Fargo. Wouldn't  it make a lot of sense to try and make  GF boom town?

So if NDSU starts hockey, it's only a matter of time before UND's program starts to atrophy and fade away? LOL, you are on a roll tonight! :silly:

The relationship between GF and Fargo is not analogous to the relationship between St. Cloud and MSP. But you are making it sound like that.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TRex said:

Ask certain hockey fans if they care about our fball team.

13 minutes ago, shep said:

Just "certain" hockey fans?

Oh, please.  Much like basketball fans at Kansas and Indiana would love to see their respective football teams become conference heavyweights, I would bet 99% of UND hockey fans would also like to see the football team dominate the MVFC.

• Upvote 4

Just now, MafiaMan said:

Oh, please.  Much like basketball fans at Kansas and Indiana would love to see their respective football teams become Big Ten powerhouses, I would bet 99% of UND hockey fans would also like to see the football team dominate the MVFC.

As a season-ticket holder to both, I sure would like to see both programs contend for national titles at the same time.

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Oh, please.  Much like basketball fans at Kansas and Indiana would love to see their respective football teams become conference heavyweights, I would bet 99% of UND hockey fans would also like to see the football team dominate the MVFC.

I'm not suggesting that many wouldn't do that, but I sense a significant apathy amongst the ones I know. They are UND hockey fans; for some it's a social thing and they don't have much interest in any other sports.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So if NDSU starts hockey, it's only a matter of time before UND's program starts to atrophy and fade away? LOL, you are on a roll tonight! :silly:

The relationship between GF and Fargo is not analogous to the relationship between St. Cloud and MSP. But you are making it sound like that.

On a roll made me think about my grandson who just graduated from La Crescent  Mn high school. He played football basketball and baseball. We were talking about the best feeling you can have in a sporting event.Since both he and I both played basketball we agreed the getting hot and making 5 threes in a row is about as good as it gets. He is going to pitch for a college in La Crosse next year. A little of topic but what the heck.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1