SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

14 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So the only way UND can win a conference title is if the conference is down? I guess with that mentality the NCC was down throughout the 90's and 2000's. I guess DII was down in 2001 when we won it all. Lets just give up and drop football altogether with that attitude.:angry:

Since 2010: Big Sky's highest playoff finishes

2010: Eastern Washington:  National Champions

Also playoff teams: Montana St.

2011: Montana semifinals: Lost 31-28 Sam Houston

2012: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost  45-42 Sam Houston

2013: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost 35-31 Towson

Also playoff teams: NAU, SUU, Montana

2014: Eastern Washington quarterfinals: Lost 59-46 Illinois St

Also playoff teams: Montana, Montana St.

2015: Montana 2nd round: Lost 37-6 NDSU

Also playoff teams: SUU

2016: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost 40-38 Youngstown St.

Also playoff teams: UND, Cal Poly, Weber St

2017: Weber St quarterfinals: Lost 31-28 JMU

Also playoff teams: NAU, SUU

I think the proof is that at the top, the best teams can compete right to the end. My point is the Big Sky, like most conferences in the FCS are very top heavy. It is the same teams knocking at the door each year getting back into the playoffs. Every few years a new team has a good year and makes it. Its the teams that win consistently and find away in that shows the truth strong programs. I don't see any reason why UND shouldn't compete at the top of the Big Sky with the resources they have, facilities they have, and tradition they have. What I my question pertained to does it mean more for UND that one year? Or the conference as a whole? Was it just another year where that one team comes out of no where and then falls back, or is it a program thats going to cement itself as a top 3-4 in conference every year. Even UNI, in the MVFC, which is a solid, not spectacular program. Competes for a playoff bid every year with average facilities and below average resources. They had a ton of injuries this year. Beat teams they should beat, even without their starting QB. They don't loose to that below average team like Indiana St, Missouri St, or SIU. Thats difference. UND shouldn't loose to Portland, Sac St, etc. even on an average year IMO. Maybe I am wrong, and I am fine with that.

18 minutes ago, TRex said:

Darell,  I love you like a son, but PLEASE stop saying things like this.   People are going to think you actually believe it.    Mo Valley is nowhere near the SEC.   LOL

What?!? But MVFC teams think we have no shot at ever getting to the top. The MVFC must be at a whole other level.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tolna said:

Since 2010: Big Sky's highest playoff finishes

2010: Eastern Washington:  National Champions

2011: Montana semifinals: Lost 31-28 Sam Houston

2012: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost  45-42 Sam Houston

2013: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost 35-31 Towson

Also playoff teams: NAU, SUU, Montana

2014: Eastern Washington quarterfinals: Lost 59-46 Illinois St

Also playoff teams: Montana, Montana St.

2015: Montana 2nd round: Lost 37-6 NDSU

Also playoff teams: SUU

2016: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost 40-38 Youngstown St.

Also playoff teams: UND, Cal Poly, Weber St

2017: Weber St quarterfinals: Lost 31-28 JMU

Also playoff teams: NAU, SUU

Every team you mention that beat the BSC champ from every year ended up playing for the national championship.  And every game was tight with the exception of 2015. Not arguing, just adding that on.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I think by going undefeated in conference play just 3 years after winning just 3 games proved something. Even though we lost in the playoffs, getting to where the team was and being crowned conference champions is a great accomplishment. 

Another thing to remember is we didn't build on that championship.  Instead, we took about 4 steps backward this year.   It's just hard to think of '16 as being all that glorious when we now have nothing to show for it except maybe for a trophy sitting somewhere.

17 minutes ago, TRex said:

Another thing to remember is we didn't build on that championship.  Instead, we took about 4 steps backward this year.   It's just hard to think of '16 as being all that glorious when we now have nothing to show for it except maybe for a trophy sitting somewhere.

Injuries crushed this season. 2018 will be different.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Injuries crushed this season. 2018 will be different.

So you think if UND were going into the MVFC next season they would be competing for a conference championship? Perhaps even running the table and going 8-0 like they did in 2016 in the BSC? BSC = MVFC in your mind top to bottom? You really think that? 

2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

So you think if UND were going into the MVFC next season they would be competing for a conference championship? Perhaps even running the table and going 8-0 like they did in 2016 in the BSC? BSC = MVFC in your mind top to bottom? You really think that? 

Anyone can beat anyone. Too bad we won’t find out until 2020, maybe by then NDSU will be down, USD and SDSU will be battling SIU for a conference title. Who knows. I don’t have 2020 vision.:lol:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Anyone can beat anyone. Too bad we won’t find out until 2020, maybe by then NDSU will be down, USD and SDSU will be battling SIU for a conference title. Who knows. I don’t have 2020 vision.:lol:

Yes, anything is possible. Anybody can beat anybody on any given Saturday, but if you go 8-0 in the MVFC you are championship caliber team. People have been predicting an NDSU downfall for 5 years now. i wouldn't count on it. 

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

the one where you can lay on the ground for awhile short of the goal line, and then eventually reach the ball out over the goal line.  

Exactly. I get that he was on top of other players for awhile but I never saw that football break the plane.