Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
geaux_sioux

Non-UND FCS Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Saying JMU is the defending FCS champion and is on a 26 game winning streak is "emotional and not logical/factual"? Saying the Bison can't just show up and win is "emotional and not logical/factual"? I guess I get sick and tired of the whole "show up and win" mentality by fans of that FBS wanna-be program. And I really have no patience for people who say I am supposed to be nice to them because of their success. Like I said before, this is a rivalry and not a mutual admiration society.

Having said all that, I want UND to keep building its program so it can contend for FCS titles. And beating NDSU on our way to an FCS title would be just as sweet as winning the title itself.

Kinda like what hockey people do with the Gophers...oh wait no they don't, they want their program to crash and burn. I want NDSU to crash and burn every year in every sport they play. They are our rival and to give them love and kisses is just disgusting. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So you give credit to NDSU for beating those playoff teams, but we get no credit for winning the Big Sky Championship in 2016. :blink:

One of the "cupcakes" you are talking about destroyed a 6-2 Big Sky team and another hung about 60 on a team that destroyed a fairly healthy UND team this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So you give credit to NDSU for beating those playoff teams, but we get no credit for winning the Big Sky Championship in 2016. :blink:

Tough too give a team credit when they don't win a playoff game. 

Literally every playoff team ndsu beat had to win at least one of those. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Tough too give a team credit when they don't win a playoff game. 

Literally every playoff team ndsu beat had to win at least one of those. 

Are you asserting that FCS isn't watered-down right now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Are you asserting that FCS isn't watered-down right now?

Lol umm no. I think its watered down. Bigly. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

So you give credit to NDSU for beating those playoff teams, but we get no credit for winning the Big Sky Championship in 2016. :blink:

I give NDSU credit for what they did and also give credit to the 2016 team.  

I really don’t care what NDSU fans think.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, homer said:

I give NDSU credit for what they did and also give credit to the 2016 team.  

I really don’t care what NDSU fans think.  

I give UND credit for the 2016 season also. They beat the teams they needed to on their schedule. That is all you can do. But they didn't win a playoff game. In fact, they lost when they couldn't hold onto a lead against a team with a back up freshman QB that had to throw the ball against a healthy UND secondary with what UND fans would say we're 2 can't miss NFL players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

But they didn't win a playoff game. In fact, they lost when they couldn't hold onto a lead against a team with a back up freshman QB that had to throw the ball against a healthy UND secondary with what UND fans would say we're 2 can't miss NFL players. 

Johnson was actually a sophomore since he played a handful of games in 2015. That "back-up" is a 3-star recruit who had offers from Georgia Tech, Illinois, BC, South Carolina, Marhsall, MTSU, UCF and JMU and was stuck behind an All-American. He was supposed to red-shirt in 2016 until Lauletta wrecked his knee and red-shirted instead this year.

I don't think anyone has said Reyes and Harris are both can't miss NFL players, however both have gotten looks and will get their shots assuming they can get back to full health.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a massive gap between JMU/NDSU and the rest of the FCS. You could have flipped them in the playoff bracket and I don't think the end result would change, both teams would still be playing each other in Frisco. It is what it is. 

SHSU and Wofford aren't cupcakes or sisters of the poor, they just match up very poorly with a physical team like NDSU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

There was a massive gap between JMU/NDSU and the rest of the FCS. You could have flipped them in the playoff bracket and I don't think the end result would change, both teams would still be playing each other in Frisco. It is what it is. 

SHSU and Wofford aren't cupcakes or sisters of the poor, they just match up very poorly with a physical team like NDSU. 

I would tend to agree with this, with one exception. I think and NDSU/SDSU game would have been much closer than the JMU/SDSU game was. Both are talented, but are also very familiar with each other. There would have been a revenge factor, a rivalry factor and playoff implications all in one match up.

While SHSU isn't a pushover, I do think they end up over rated each year, compared to what they do. No doubt about it, they are a good team, but I think their results are often amplified by specific matchups.  They have a high octane offense, amplified by playing some poor defenses. They run into a competent defense that know how to shut down their style and we saw the results. I hope the UND coaches will be looking long and hard at the NDSU/SHSU film to prep for next fall.

I would like to believe that a healthy offense will be competent enough to keep us in the game, but that will need to be proven. I do think that a healthy defense should keep us in the game, and I say that with more certainty. I really like that the coaches got SHSU on the schedule next season, and it should be a good measuring stick of where this team is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So you give credit to NDSU for beating those playoff teams, but we get no credit for winning the Big Sky Championship in 2016. :blink:

The sad thing is after we won the Sky championship, we laid an egg in the playoffs.  2016 really would have meant something if we had won against Richmond.   Then we would have proven something.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TRex said:

The sad thing is after we won the Sky championship, we laid an egg in the playoffs.  2016 really would have meant something if we had won against Richmond.   Then we would have proven something.

I think by going undefeated in conference play just 3 years after winning just 3 games proved something. Even though we lost in the playoffs, getting to where the team was and being crowned conference champions is a great accomplishment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I think by going undefeated in conference play just 3 years after winning just 3 games proved something. Even though we lost in the playoffs, getting to where the team was and being crowned conference champions is a great accomplishment. 

Does that prove something about UND? Or does it say something about the rest of the Big Sky?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tolna said:

Does that prove something about UND? Or does it say something about the rest of the Big Sky?

So the only way UND can win a conference title is if the conference is down? I guess with that mentality the NCC was down throughout the 90's and 2000's. I guess DII was down in 2001 when we won it all. Lets just give up and drop football altogether with that attitude.:angry:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So the only way UND can win a conference title is if the conference is down? I guess with that mentality the NCC was down throughout the 90's and 2000's. I guess DII was down in 2001 when we won it all. Lets just give up and drop football altogether with that attitude.:angry:

Let's put it this way. A team that goes undefeated in the MVFC does not lose their first playoff game.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Let's put it this way. A team that goes undefeated in the MVFC does not lose their first playoff game.  

Unless South Dakota State has left the MVFC and I didn't hear about it, this didn't happen this season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Unless South Dakota State has left the MVFC and I didn't hear about it, this didn't happen this season.

I didn't say anybody went undefeated in the MVFC this year. I am saying a team that is good enough to go undefeated in the MVFC would not lose their first game in the playoffs like an undefeated BSC team did last year. 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Let's put it this way. A team that goes undefeated in the MVFC does not lose their first playoff game.  

Because that has never happened before in the history of college football. Can not wait until UND joins the SEC, I mean the MVFC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Because that has never happened before in the history of college football. Can not wait until UND joins the SEC, I mean the MVFC.

Careful what you wish for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Because that has never happened before in the history of college football. Can not wait until UND joins the SEC, I mean the MVFC.

Darell,  I love you like a son, but PLEASE stop saying things like this.   People are going to think you actually believe it.    Mo Valley is nowhere near the SEC.   LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So the only way UND can win a conference title is if the conference is down? I guess with that mentality the NCC was down throughout the 90's and 2000's. I guess DII was down in 2001 when we won it all. Lets just give up and drop football altogether with that attitude.:angry:

Since 2010: Big Sky's highest playoff finishes

2010: Eastern Washington:  National Champions

Also playoff teams: Montana St.

 

2011: Montana semifinals: Lost 31-28 Sam Houston

Also playoff teams: Montana St.

 

2012: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost  45-42 Sam Houston

Also playoff teams: Montana St.

 

2013: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost 35-31 Towson

Also playoff teams: NAU, SUU, Montana

 

2014: Eastern Washington quarterfinals: Lost 59-46 Illinois St

Also playoff teams: Montana, Montana St.

 

2015: Montana 2nd round: Lost 37-6 NDSU

Also playoff teams: SUU

 

2016: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost 40-38 Youngstown St.

Also playoff teams: UND, Cal Poly, Weber St

 

2017: Weber St quarterfinals: Lost 31-28 JMU

Also playoff teams: NAU, SUU

 

I think the proof is that at the top, the best teams can compete right to the end. My point is the Big Sky, like most conferences in the FCS are very top heavy. It is the same teams knocking at the door each year getting back into the playoffs. Every few years a new team has a good year and makes it. Its the teams that win consistently and find away in that shows the truth strong programs. I don't see any reason why UND shouldn't compete at the top of the Big Sky with the resources they have, facilities they have, and tradition they have. What I my question pertained to does it mean more for UND that one year? Or the conference as a whole? Was it just another year where that one team comes out of no where and then falls back, or is it a program thats going to cement itself as a top 3-4 in conference every year. Even UNI, in the MVFC, which is a solid, not spectacular program. Competes for a playoff bid every year with average facilities and below average resources. They had a ton of injuries this year. Beat teams they should beat, even without their starting QB. They don't loose to that below average team like Indiana St, Missouri St, or SIU. Thats difference. UND shouldn't loose to Portland, Sac St, etc. even on an average year IMO. Maybe I am wrong, and I am fine with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TRex said:

Darell,  I love you like a son, but PLEASE stop saying things like this.   People are going to think you actually believe it.    Mo Valley is nowhere near the SEC.   LOL

What?!? But MVFC teams think we have no shot at ever getting to the top. The MVFC must be at a whole other level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tolna said:

Since 2010: Big Sky's highest playoff finishes

2010: Eastern Washington:  National Champions

Also playoff teams: Montana St.

 

2011: Montana semifinals: Lost 31-28 Sam Houston

Also playoff teams: Montana St.

 

2012: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost  45-42 Sam Houston

Also playoff teams: Montana St.

 

2013: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost 35-31 Towson

Also playoff teams: NAU, SUU, Montana

 

2014: Eastern Washington quarterfinals: Lost 59-46 Illinois St

Also playoff teams: Montana, Montana St.

 

2015: Montana 2nd round: Lost 37-6 NDSU

Also playoff teams: SUU

 

2016: Eastern Washington semifinals: Lost 40-38 Youngstown St.

Also playoff teams: UND, Cal Poly, Weber St

 

2017: Weber St quarterfinals: Lost 31-28 JMU

Also playoff teams: NAU, SUU

 

Every team you mention that beat the BSC champ from every year ended up playing for the national championship.  And every game was tight with the exception of 2015. Not arguing, just adding that on.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I think by going undefeated in conference play just 3 years after winning just 3 games proved something. Even though we lost in the playoffs, getting to where the team was and being crowned conference champions is a great accomplishment. 

Another thing to remember is we didn't build on that championship.  Instead, we took about 4 steps backward this year.   It's just hard to think of '16 as being all that glorious when we now have nothing to show for it except maybe for a trophy sitting somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×