SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I could be wrong, but I thought this decision was made on a year to year basis. If the conference champion is in a position where they would make the playoffs they can take the playoff bid and let their bowl game slide to the next team?

I think the MEAC has that option, but do not always exercise it. 

10 hours ago, mooncountry said:

I mean no offense, but you do come across very emotional as opposed to logical/factual in these conversations. Like 512 was saying.

Saying JMU is the defending FCS champion and is on a 26 game winning streak is "emotional and not logical/factual"? Saying the Bison can't just show up and win is "emotional and not logical/factual"? I guess I get sick and tired of the whole "show up and win" mentality by fans of that FBS wanna-be program. And I really have no patience for people who say I am supposed to be nice to them because of their success. Like I said before, this is a rivalry and not a mutual admiration society.

Having said all that, I want UND to keep building its program so it can contend for FCS titles. And beating NDSU on our way to an FCS title would be just as sweet as winning the title itself.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So it’s okay for Bison folks to say we had a soft schedule and played nobody in 2016 that’s why we won the conference but I say they played cupcakes in the playoffs and it’s in bad taste. Umm what?!?

Yeah.  All the teams they have beaten actually made the playoffs.  It’s completely different.  

33 minutes ago, homer said:

Yeah.  All the teams they have beaten actually made the playoffs.  It’s completely different.  

So you give credit to NDSU for beating those playoff teams, but we get no credit for winning the Big Sky Championship in 2016. :blink:

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Saying JMU is the defending FCS champion and is on a 26 game winning streak is "emotional and not logical/factual"? Saying the Bison can't just show up and win is "emotional and not logical/factual"? I guess I get sick and tired of the whole "show up and win" mentality by fans of that FBS wanna-be program. And I really have no patience for people who say I am supposed to be nice to them because of their success. Like I said before, this is a rivalry and not a mutual admiration society.

Having said all that, I want UND to keep building its program so it can contend for FCS titles. And beating NDSU on our way to an FCS title would be just as sweet as winning the title itself.

Kinda like what hockey people do with the Gophers...oh wait no they don't, they want their program to crash and burn. I want NDSU to crash and burn every year in every sport they play. They are our rival and to give them love and kisses is just disgusting. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So you give credit to NDSU for beating those playoff teams, but we get no credit for winning the Big Sky Championship in 2016. :blink:

One of the "cupcakes" you are talking about destroyed a 6-2 Big Sky team and another hung about 60 on a team that destroyed a fairly healthy UND team this year. 

26 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Tough too give a team credit when they don't win a playoff game. 

Literally every playoff team ndsu beat had to win at least one of those. 

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

I give NDSU credit for what they did and also give credit to the 2016 team.  

I really don’t care what NDSU fans think.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, homer said:

I give NDSU credit for what they did and also give credit to the 2016 team.  

I really don’t care what NDSU fans think.  

I give UND credit for the 2016 season also. They beat the teams they needed to on their schedule. That is all you can do. But they didn't win a playoff game. In fact, they lost when they couldn't hold onto a lead against a team with a back up freshman QB that had to throw the ball against a healthy UND secondary with what UND fans would say we're 2 can't miss NFL players. 

27 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

But they didn't win a playoff game. In fact, they lost when they couldn't hold onto a lead against a team with a back up freshman QB that had to throw the ball against a healthy UND secondary with what UND fans would say we're 2 can't miss NFL players. 

Johnson was actually a sophomore since he played a handful of games in 2015. That "back-up" is a 3-star recruit who had offers from Georgia Tech, Illinois, BC, South Carolina, Marhsall, MTSU, UCF and JMU and was stuck behind an All-American. He was supposed to red-shirt in 2016 until Lauletta wrecked his knee and red-shirted instead this year.

I don't think anyone has said Reyes and Harris are both can't miss NFL players, however both have gotten looks and will get their shots assuming they can get back to full health.

• Like 1

There was a massive gap between JMU/NDSU and the rest of the FCS. You could have flipped them in the playoff bracket and I don't think the end result would change, both teams would still be playing each other in Frisco. It is what it is. 

SHSU and Wofford aren't cupcakes or sisters of the poor, they just match up very poorly with a physical team like NDSU. 

16 minutes ago, FargoBison said:

There was a massive gap between JMU/NDSU and the rest of the FCS. You could have flipped them in the playoff bracket and I don't think the end result would change, both teams would still be playing each other in Frisco. It is what it is. 

SHSU and Wofford aren't cupcakes or sisters of the poor, they just match up very poorly with a physical team like NDSU. 

I would tend to agree with this, with one exception. I think and NDSU/SDSU game would have been much closer than the JMU/SDSU game was. Both are talented, but are also very familiar with each other. There would have been a revenge factor, a rivalry factor and playoff implications all in one match up.

While SHSU isn't a pushover, I do think they end up over rated each year, compared to what they do. No doubt about it, they are a good team, but I think their results are often amplified by specific matchups.  They have a high octane offense, amplified by playing some poor defenses. They run into a competent defense that know how to shut down their style and we saw the results. I hope the UND coaches will be looking long and hard at the NDSU/SHSU film to prep for next fall.

I would like to believe that a healthy offense will be competent enough to keep us in the game, but that will need to be proven. I do think that a healthy defense should keep us in the game, and I say that with more certainty. I really like that the coaches got SHSU on the schedule next season, and it should be a good measuring stick of where this team is. 

10 hours ago, darell1976 said:

The sad thing is after we won the Sky championship, we laid an egg in the playoffs.  2016 really would have meant something if we had won against Richmond.   Then we would have proven something.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TRex said:

The sad thing is after we won the Sky championship, we laid an egg in the playoffs.  2016 really would have meant something if we had won against Richmond.   Then we would have proven something.

I think by going undefeated in conference play just 3 years after winning just 3 games proved something. Even though we lost in the playoffs, getting to where the team was and being crowned conference champions is a great accomplishment. 

46 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I think by going undefeated in conference play just 3 years after winning just 3 games proved something. Even though we lost in the playoffs, getting to where the team was and being crowned conference champions is a great accomplishment. 

Does that prove something about UND? Or does it say something about the rest of the Big Sky?

1 hour ago, Tolna said:

Does that prove something about UND? Or does it say something about the rest of the Big Sky?

So the only way UND can win a conference title is if the conference is down? I guess with that mentality the NCC was down throughout the 90's and 2000's. I guess DII was down in 2001 when we won it all. Lets just give up and drop football altogether with that attitude.:angry:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darell1976 said:

So the only way UND can win a conference title is if the conference is down? I guess with that mentality the NCC was down throughout the 90's and 2000's. I guess DII was down in 2001 when we won it all. Lets just give up and drop football altogether with that attitude.:angry:

Let's put it this way. A team that goes undefeated in the MVFC does not lose their first playoff game.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Unless South Dakota State has left the MVFC and I didn't hear about it, this didn't happen this season.

I didn't say anybody went undefeated in the MVFC this year. I am saying a team that is good enough to go undefeated in the MVFC would not lose their first game in the playoffs like an undefeated BSC team did last year. 

• Downvote 2

4 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Let's put it this way. A team that goes undefeated in the MVFC does not lose their first playoff game.  

Because that has never happened before in the history of college football. Can not wait until UND joins the SEC, I mean the MVFC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Because that has never happened before in the history of college football. Can not wait until UND joins the SEC, I mean the MVFC.

Darell,  I love you like a son, but PLEASE stop saying things like this.   People are going to think you actually believe it.    Mo Valley is nowhere near the SEC.   LOL