SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I buy all of that however I think they would have slipped up one or two more times in the playoffs if they would have had to travel during their streak. It is also fair to point out that it isn't an opinion that that since joining the FCS, NDSU's home playoff winning percentage (.947%, 18-1!!) is better than their winning percentage as a true road team (.500%, 1-1). That of course excludes neutral site games. :)

:lol::silly:

Yeah but if.........Seems to be a common theme here..  But do carry on.:xmas:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bison73 said:

Hes been banned numerous time but keeps coming back under different aliases. They let him stay under elchapo but every post is moderated for content.

He does that everywhere, he probably has a couple aliases on this board. What’s funny is I’ve heard him on the radio and he sounds somewhat normal which is hard to believe when one has read his garbage online.

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

He does that everywhere, he probably has a couple aliases on this board. What’s funny is I’ve heard him on the radio and he sounds somewhat normal which is hard to believe when one has read his garbage online.

I’ve met him in person more than a few times, his persona online is in many ways more palatable than the real life version if you can believe that.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

How did this thread get derailed so quick... never mind I don't care.

Any football news that is not related to the state of North Dakota that we can talk about?

The fact the last time the Coyotes were ranked so high they were playing for a National Title against NDSU (1986). Is this something we may see more of from the Coyotes? 

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I’ve met him in person more than a few times, his persona online is in many ways more palatable than the real life version if you can believe that.

I’ve heard he is different in person. Not much of the keyboard warrior he projects.

1 hour ago, TX Bison said:

And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass a hopin'.  And if Wentz doesn't hit Urzendowski in the NW endzone, the bunnies would have won.  And if Sheppard doesn't haul in a TD with two UNI defenders all over him, we would have been done.  And if Heagle didn't have 97.5 tackles vs. GA Southern.  And if Travis Beck hadn't ran that interception back in 2011.  Fake punt vs. Sam Houston.  Esley Thorton pick.  Etc, etc, etc.

I want to say something profound about creating your own luck but I'm not a poet.

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

:lol::silly:

Yeah but if.........Seems to be a common theme here..  But do carry on.:xmas:

So are you guys saying NDSU fans are full of it and their home field advantage doesn't mean anything? I'm not saying they haven't deserved it, I'm simply asking if all the chest pounding about the great home field advantage means something or the fans are clueless. Simple question, either it has helped them or it hasn't.

1 hour ago, Bison06 said:

They definitely had some close ones during their playoff runs where any advantage the other team might have taken by being in their home stadium may  have tipped the scales the other way, but as you’ve conceded, playoff home games were earned so you can’t really fault NDSU for that.

Either way, if you look around the FCS landscape you don’t see a lot of OOC games bein played between “elite” schools in general. It’s not just NDSU. Take a look at JMU and SHSU and JSU or even Montana and EWU. They aren’t exactly lining up killers in their OOC schedule. Everybody schedules pretty similarly knowing their conference schedule is full of juggernauts and it’ll all work itself out in the end since FCS has a true playoff.

I agree that it may have, but as we pointed out, NDSU's away record during the playoffs is much worse than their home record. :)

I would argue that SHSU, EWU and UM actually all are playing quite a few stronger non-conference games. UM done home and homes with NDSU, UNI and has USD, Missouri State, WIU and UND(once they leave the Big Sky) already signed. EWU has played NDSU, UNI, SHSU and actually traveled for a money game to Fordham and also have WIU on the future schedule. That's a lot of home and home's signed by the two Big Sky teams you mentioned. . I don't know much about SHSU or JSU (and neither show future schedules) but SHSU has been more than willing to play home and homes with Richmond, EWU in the last few years and UND coming up. NDSU has done home/homes with EWU, UM, Weber and an upcoming one with Delaware with no other ones currently on the horizon. Like I said, teams can schedule however you want, it's the incessant whining about "everyone is scared to play us" rather than "it's hard to find teams willing to play under our demands" that gets old when there is alot more to the story.

I should also point out that none of those other schools have fans or athletic department representatives complaining about scheduling issues, NDSU does. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Yeah but if the small man complex wasn't so prevalent among ndsu fans, you guys would stick to your own message board. 

You guys are entertaining. Thats why I check in every now and then.:D  Small man complex ? :D  No never disappoint.

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

So are you guys saying NDSU fans are full of it and their home field advantage doesn't mean anything? I'm not saying they haven't deserved it, I'm simply asking if all the chest pounding about the great home field advantage means something or the fans are clueless. Simple question, either it has helped them or it hasn't.

I agree that it may have, but as we pointed out, NDSU's away record during the playoffs is much worse than their home record. :)

I would argue that SHSU, EWU and UM actually all are playing quite a few stronger non-conference games. UM done home and homes with NDSU, UNI and has USD, Missouri State, WIU and UND(once they leave the Big Sky) already signed. EWU has played NDSU, UNI, SHSU and actually traveled for a money game to Fordham and also have WIU on the future schedule. That's a lot of home and home's signed by the two Big Sky teams you mentioned. . I don't know much about SHSU or JSU (and neither show future schedules) but SHSU has been more than willing to play home and homes with Richmond, EWU in the last few years and UND coming up. NDSU has done home/homes with EWU, UM, Weber and an upcoming one with Delaware with no other ones currently on the horizon. Like I said, teams can schedule however you want, it's the incessant whining about "everyone is scared to play us" rather than "it's hard to find teams willing to play under our demands" that gets old when there is alot more to the story.

I should also point out that none of those other schools have fans or athletic department representatives complaining about scheduling issues, NDSU does. 

NDSU has had home and homes with Montana, EWU, Weber State and has Delaware upcoming. When Montana and EWU have 4-5 Home and homes signed “that’s a lot”, but when NDSU does it they are not playing tough enough FCS OOC games?

You must see the double standard  you’ve laid out here, don’t you?

14 hours ago, TX Bison said:

You're the Voice of Reason my friend.

To be fair. It is an exhibition game....but to make your point we will often schedule a kind of 2 for 1 with Eastern schools in hockey where we will travel out and play Northeastern and Harvard on a Friday and Saturday and then in the following year or two, those teams will come to Grand Forks for 2.

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

To be fair. It is an exhibition game....but to make your point we will often schedule a kind of 2 for 1 with Eastern schools in hockey where we will travel out and play Northeastern and Harvard on a Friday and Saturday and then in the following year or two, those teams will come to Grand Forks for 2.

Petey, that's actually a very good point to bring up in this conversation. And may I add, we are not complaining how tough it is to schedule MH OOC teams. Here's the tickler tough, going to the next level to complain about it on a rival message board. 

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

NDSU has had home and homes with Montana, EWU, Weber State and has Delaware upcoming. When Montana and EWU have 4-5 Home and homes signed “that’s a lot”, but when NDSU does it they are not playing tough enough FCS OOC games?

You must see the double standard  you’ve laid out here, don’t you?

I didn't include all of EWU or Montana's, particularly since EWU's schedule is hard to decipher, but below is the best I was able to put together. I don't think there is a double standard noce you look at the whole list and again, the bigger point is their fans and athletic department representatives aren't publicly complaining "no one will play us".  We will see if NDSU will schedule out some home/homes like Montana and EWU have done.

Home/homes since 2010 along with future games signed. I also listed total OOC FCS road games played and scheduled since 2010:

NDSU
Weber State (2014/15)
Montana (2014/15)
EWU (2016/17)
Delaware (2018/19)

OOC FCS away games played and scheduled: 3 / 1

Montana
North Dakota (2010/13)
Cal-Poly (2010/11)
Appalachian State (2012/13)
South Dakota (2012/13)
Liberty (2012/2015)
NDSU (2014/15)
UNI (2016/18)
Liberty (2018/19)
WIU (2018/21)
South Dakota (2019/22)
Missouri State (2020/21)
North Dakota (2024/25)

OOC FCS away games played and scheduled: 6 / 4

Eastern Washington
Southern Utah (2009/10)
Cal Poly (2011/12)
Sam Houston (2013/14)
Montana State (2014/15)
UNI (2015/16)
NDSU (2016/17)
Western Illinois (2020/21)
NAU (2018/20)

OOC FCS away games played and scheduled: 8 / 2
EWU traveled to USD (2011) and Fordham (2017) with no return trips.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jdub27 said:

I didn't include all of EWU or Montana's, particularly since EWU's schedule is hard to decipher, but below is the best I was able to put together. I don't think there is a double standard noce you look at the whole list and again, the bigger point is their fans and athletic department representatives aren't publicly complaining "no one will play us".  We will see if NDSU will schedule out some home/homes like Montana and EWU have done.

Home/homes since 2010 along with future games signed. I also listed total OOC FCS road games played and scheduled since 2010:

NDSU
Weber State (2014/15)
Montana (2014/15)
EWU (2016/17)
Delaware (2018/19)

OOC FCS away games played and scheduled: 3 / 1

Montana
North Dakota (2010/13)
Cal-Poly (2010/11)
Appalachian State (2012/13)
South Dakota (2012/13)
Liberty (2012/2015)
NDSU (2014/15)
UNI (2016/18)
Liberty (2018/19)
WIU (2018/21)
South Dakota (2019/22)
Missouri State (2020/21)
North Dakota (2024/25)

OOC FCS away games played and scheduled: 6 / 4

Eastern Washington
Southern Utah (2009/10)
Cal Poly (2011/12)
Sam Houston (2013/14)
Montana State (2014/15)
UNI (2015/16)
NDSU (2016/17)
Western Illinois (2020/21)
NAU (2018/20)

OOC FCS away games played and scheduled: 8 / 2
EWU traveled to USD (2011) and Fordham (2017) with no return trips.

I hate to split hairs, because I realize technically they are OOC games. But isn’t it fair to put some sort of qualifier on those Big Sky Non-conference/conference mate games? I mean, those games have to be incredibly easy to line up right?

5 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I hate to split hairs, because I realize technically they are OOC games. But isn’t it fair to put some sort of qualifier on those Big Sky Non-conference/conference mate games? I mean, those games have to be incredibly easy to line up right?

I mean, I guess travel is easier for the teams because they are in closer proximity but home/home still requires travel to an FCS school. Maybe it's easier, I guess I'm not sure but I do think the only one on that list that would actually fit under that category would be the MSU/EWU series. The rest were from when teams were in the Great West.

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I mean, travel is easier for the teams because they are in closer proximity but home/home still eats up an away game in one of the seasons and requires travel. I'm also pretty sure the only one on that list that would actually fit under that category would be the MSU/EWU series. The rest were from when teams were in the Great West.

Great come back, MooU gets these home games more so than home and home games, where they try financially screw over the incoming opponent. In the long run, it finally catches up with them and certain teams won't want to play them, causing difficultly in scheduling. They wonder why some schools won't call them back. 

7 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Great come back, MooU gets these home games more so than home and home games, where they try financially screw over the incoming opponent. In the long run, it finally catches up with them and certain teams won't want to play them, causing difficultly in scheduling. They wonder why some schools won't call them back. 

They are trying to get the best deal for themselves, as is the other team who needs to make it worth their while to travel up to Fargo, which they typically cover their own expenses for. The price for one-off games continues to go up as everyone wants home games and the teams that are willing to play money games within the FCS appear to have more bargaining power now than they previously did. When FBS teams don't want to play you and you are complaining FCS teams want too much money to come to your house, the only real alternative is to schedule home/homes or open up the pocketbook even further. But again, ignoring the reasoning that "no one will play us" is my bigger issue.

3 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

How is the opponent getting screwed over?  They're getting a boatload of money. The only way they get screwed over is if the deal is for a home/home and NDSU doesn't honor the back end of the deal. 

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Also worth noting EWU played 2 FBS games in 2012 and 2013.  

Regardless, NDSU has their scheduling philosophy, they can afford it, and it works for them.

As was said above, apparently FBS games don’t count the same as FCS OOC games.

33 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I mean, I guess travel is easier for the teams because they are in closer proximity but home/home still requires travel to an FCS school. Maybe it's easier, I guess I'm not sure but I do think the only one on that list that would actually fit under that category would be the MSU/EWU series. The rest were from when teams were in the Great West.

I’m talking easier in the sense of the relationship that AD’s already have with conference mates. 

I’ll fully admit I have no knowledge of how these games get scheduled, but it has to be an easier conversation to start when you are calling someone that you’ve known for years personally and are on conference calls and go to conference meetings with every year.