SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND FCS Thread

geaux_sioux

What did everyone think of the game? I only saw the 4th quarter. How does this year's Montana team differ from last season's?

Montana's offense is wide open. Fast tempo and not afraid to throw it a bunch! Key is playing jump balls and getting pressure; UND did not play jump ball situations well last year so that will be something to watch when the time comes.

Montana's defense is questionable yet. NDSU has a very good offense so it's hard to rate UM's D accurately. I'd say they are vulnerable against the run, however. That's a good thing for UND. (P.S. If UND has the ball and the lead with less than 3 minutes to play, don't unnecessarily pass.)

• Upvote 1

What did everyone think of the game? I only saw the 4th quarter. How does this year's Montana team differ from last season's?

Offensive system is hurry up and spread, but as Deluca put it, "it wasn't anything unexpected".  It seems like after a good gain the Griz often run the ball the next play.  The QB is tall and tends to float the ball little, and you don't have to worry about him running.  When the Griz QB did run or throw out of the pocket he got smoked, clean hits, hats off to SU.  The Griz running backs are a little shifty, but often times they had room to run and couldn't make one man miss, I am going to call their running backs 'average'.  A former Griz player, who happened to be on the Bison pre-game show said the center and guards are average, and he even called the Griz o-line 'terrible'.  They didn't look that bad considering the front 4 for the Bison couldn't get much pressure.  But, keep in mind most of the time the ball was gone inside 3 seconds.  Where it gets a little scary is on the outside, the Griz have 2 really good wide outs and another 1-2 kids that looked above average.  As UND-FB-Fan eluded to, I don't want to see any press man from Corners under 6'.  I'd call it the Harris Rule as in only Deon Harris can challenge in man press.

Defensively, the Griz seemed thin as in depth and small on the defensive line, yet they held up OK.  They were missing their 'best' linebacker for the game yet the linebackers they had were good.  They have some really good athletes in their secondary, but weren't exactly assignment sharp. (Morlock touchdown pass)  So from last years team down a little on the D line, but still really good LBs and skill positions. 

All things considered, UND will have to implement the Harris Rule to avoid easy decisions and easy plays by throwing jump balls to their stud WRs.  I think the Bison did show us you can run on them and I think the Bison should have more, but they wanted to get a little fancy for some reason with the play calling.  I will office chair coach and give my 2 cents to the staff on the Harris Rule, guaranteed.

(P.S. If UND has the ball and the lead with less than 3 minutes to play, don't unnecessarily pass.) 

While it appeared to be a little bit of a strange play call on 2nd down, if Wentz decides to try to get back to the line of scrimmage or just slides down when he doesn't see anyone open instead of throwing it away, the situation changes completely.  At that point, you're at 3rd and between 7-10 but the clock is running or you force Montana to take a time-out.  Play call may have been a little questionable but it was the execution that made it look terrible. More or less the equivalent of a running back going out of bounds instead of down right before the sidelines.

I did not leave that game overly impressed with Montana's QB.  He left points and yards on the field by missing some throws a college QB should make.  He also got hurt by some drops.

It will be interesting to see how that offense does the rest of the season.  I think NDSU was caught off guard by how talented/athletic Montana's WR's were.  They are good but a lot of teams in the Big Sky have one or two that are as good or better.  It is a position of strength in this conference.  

Defensively, Montana was similar to what they have been in the past a very athletic LB group and secondary.  Coming into the game I didn't think they would match up well up front but they held their own in passing situations.  It will be interesting to see how they do vs. Cal Poly.

All in all- it was two good teams who will get better.  It was a fun game to watch and it got me excited for this coming Saturday.