SiouxSports.com Forum

Eurotrip 2015

SWSiouxMN

Georgetown will play the ital dream team next week... UND next victim   BC Atletas  will be playing Marquette tomorrow and also Georgetown  next week... comparing outcomes can be interesting but needs to be taken with a grain of salt...

Edited by hoops44

I know this is like counting pre-season football games as wins but they aren't doing too bad for having a coach that can't coach and all the other baggage that's been shared. It proves nothing but it proves more than being 0-3. 

I think it's apparent that even though losing Tyler a year early was a bit of a disappointment this Baldwin kid is proving and hopefully will continue to show some serious upside.  I know next to nothing about him, but so far so good.  So, Back court wise, things appear to solidifying around Hooker.  Still concerned with the big men inside.   Bernstine's name has popped out a little in these games, but very little from Cashman and Shanks.  Whether by committee or by one guy taking the spot, we need a strong inside presence to at least give our guards a little more space and at the very least an outlet threat for them to deliver the ball to, if this team is going to make progress this year. Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised with the results from these games but we won't know if they've been of full benefit until early March 2016.

Are the euro teams good as in if they were in a conference in the NCAA would they be mid majors, low majors or p5 type teams? Because UND putting the smackdown on these teams while other "major" teams aren't beating them as much is a really good sign that this team has improved, and could build a good deal of confidence not only on the team itself but restore confidence on the fans too.

I asked one of the assistants before they left while waiting to pay for gas, what they thought the competition would be like.  He said it was impossible to tell, sometimes teams get over there and it's dreadful bad competition, other times the teams they are matched up with can really challenge you.  I hope its more of the latter.    Also, maybe these majors Marquette, Georgetown etc...are playing more of their rosters (minutesr/rotations)  as compared to UND.  Tough to really know.

Marquette and Georgetown have been playing to win ...playing the top guys most of the games.  Bernstine is played very well...especially for a guy that has not played a game for 18 months...Gtown has picked up some top 20 preseason ratings

Edited by hoops44

Anyone know how this last team has been?

Any chance we just match up well with these teams, or have there been some big surprises with our players. I was under this impression this wouldn't not be a very strong year, and that next season we were supposed to be a little deeper and a little more talented. Then again, while I like to follow UND, basketball is a sport I just don't know much about.

Any chance we can make a splash this year, or were we supposed to win all of these European games?

Anyone know how this last team has been?

Any chance we just match up well with these teams, or have there been some big surprises with our players. I was under this impression this wouldn't not be a very strong year, and that next season we were supposed to be a little deeper and a little more talented. Then again, while I like to follow UND, basketball is a sport I just don't know much about.

Any chance we can make a splash this year, or were we supposed to win all of these European games?

You don't really know what you are going to get with these teams when you get over there.  I tend to take results with a grain of salt, and look more towards how they played, who looked good, how they played D, etc. etc.

That being said, I am surprised and impressed by the play of Brick and Baldwin. I love how Hooker has become the leader of this team, I expect big things from him this year with a much better supporting cast that last year.  Geno has looked as advertised.

On paper, we should be a lot better than last year.  How much better is the million dollar question.  Montana should be the clear favorite next year, with Weber, NAU, EWU behind them.  SUU is a sleeper pick to crash the party.  ISU and MSU should be at the bottom as both are rebuild and whatever ISU is trying to do. A battle between UND, UNC, Sac State, Idaho, and PSU for spots 6-10 is likely.  I expect this to be a typical Jones team, a slow start but by March, be a team that no one wants to play. A 13-15 win season and 8-10 conference wins roughly is what I am expecting from this group

Will that be enough to save his job (the cardinal rule for ADs, rarely allow coaches to play the last year of their contracts out)?  Who knows.  Next year the only significant loss will be Hobaugh, and we added a talented guard in Baker.  If UND does not lose anybody from transfer, I don't see why UND can't be a contender for the conference crown in the 16-17 season.