SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA To Sanction UND if School Does Not Adopt New Nickname

Benny Baker

This guy thought they were just "retiring" the UND nickname, not picking a new one.  :silly:

All seven members of his family that graduated from UND are so proud of their University of North Dakota degrees that they are contemplating whether to support the school anymore based on "North Dakota" not being an option.  You literally cannot make this stuff up anymore.  

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/3828574-letter-und-nickname-decision-has-potential-tear-university-apart

If that's his stance, then his "ties" to UND aren't as strong as he thinks they are.

Fighting Hawks would be more palatable if it wouldn't have been so ridiculously predictable and common.

Some variation on Hawks is used by 28 other 4-year schools, making it the 8th most popular sports team nickname.

9 other schools have moved from a Native American Nickname to some variation of Hawk
Chowam Hawks - formerly Braves (2006)
Dickinson State Blue Hawks - formerly Savages (1972)
IUP Crimson Hawks - formerly Indians (2006)
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks - formerly Indians (2006)
Miami RedHawks - formerly Redskins (1997)
Ripon Red Hawks - formerly Redmen (1985)
Southeast Missouri State Redhawks - formerly Indians and Otahkians (2005)
Seattle Redhawks - formerly Chieftains (2000)
Stonehill Skyhawks - formerly Chieftains (2005)

I know, right?  Hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on committees and marketing experts, and we come up with Hawks?  At least we included an adjective to separate UND from the others!

Fighting Hawks would be more palatable if it wouldn't have been so ridiculously predictable and common.

Some variation on Hawks is used by 28 other 4-year schools, making it the 8th most popular sports team nickname.

9 other schools have moved from a Native American Nickname to some variation of Hawk
Chowam Hawks - formerly Braves (2006)
Dickinson State Blue Hawks - formerly Savages (1972)
IUP Crimson Hawks - formerly Indians (2006)
Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks - formerly Indians (2006)
Miami RedHawks - formerly Redskins (1997)
Ripon Red Hawks - formerly Redmen (1985)
Southeast Missouri State Redhawks - formerly Indians and Otahkians (2005)
Seattle Redhawks - formerly Chieftains (2000)
Stonehill Skyhawks - formerly Chieftains (2005)

But it somehow found its way to the top 5.  With the awesome choices we have to pick from, how well I ever be able to make up my mind?

• Upvote 1

That consultant they hired did more harm than good. That is the only reason why "Hawks" is still alive.

I actually think Fighting Hawks has a pretty decent chance to win.  Roughriders has to overcome the "already have a school with that nickname in GF" argument.  Plus I can see a lot of the Fighting Sioux fans supporting Fighting Hawks, if for nothing else, when the PA guy announces: "Here comes your University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks ( the crowd can much more easily insert Sioux and drown out the PA announcer when he says Hawks).  For this reason, I'm surprised the committee kept "Fighting" Hawks.  I thought for sure it would be eliminated because of it.

Edited by dmksioux
  • Upvote 1

I actually think Fighting Hawks has a pretty decent chance to win.  Roughriders has to overcome the "already have a school with that nickname in GF" argument.  Plus I can see a lot of the Fighting Sioux fans supporting Fighting Hawks, if for nothing else, when the PA guy announces: "Here comes your University of North Dakota Fighting Hawks ( the crowd can much more easily insert Sioux and drown out the PA announcer).  For this reason, I'm surprised the committee kept "Fighting" Hawks.  I though for sure it would be one of the other two.  

I am thinking it will be between that and Roughriders in the run off vote. 

This guy thought they were just "retiring" the UND nickname, not picking a new one.  :silly:

All seven members of his family that graduated from UND are so proud of their University of North Dakota degrees that they are contemplating whether to support the school anymore based on "North Dakota" not being an option.  You literally cannot make this stuff up anymore.  

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/letters/3828574-letter-und-nickname-decision-has-potential-tear-university-apart

Well he obviously has not moved out of the Anger Phase yet so I have to commend him for that. :)  He's right where a lot of us were about 3 years ago.

Well...isn't this a GREAT idea? Why wouldn't anyone consider this? I think money had more to do with all of this than we know! If it didn't, why wouldn't the UND do this tomorrow? Whether the tribe gives them the blessing or not to use the name would settle all of this down....IMO

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/op-ed-columns/3831969-scott-louser-put-fighting-sioux-trademark-hands-trustee

Well...isn't this a GREAT idea? Why wouldn't anyone consider this? I think money had more to do with all of this than we know! If it didn't, why wouldn't the UND do this tomorrow? Whether the tribe gives them the blessing or not to use the name would settle all of this down....IMO

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/op-ed-columns/3831969-scott-louser-put-fighting-sioux-trademark-hands-trustee

This has been covered multiple times. And it is yet another attempt to continue to use the Fighting Sioux nickname forever. Actually, it is pretty obvious that this is Mr. Louser's goal. First, according to the Settlement Agreement with the NCAA UND must maintain control of the trademark, unless it transfers control to one of the tribes. UND has several reasons to not transfer control to anyone. Allowing the continued promotion of UND Fighting Sioux merchandise would undercut a new nickname and encourage people to use Fighting Sioux instead of the new name. How does that help UND? It doesn't, especially if someone else is getting the profits. In this case UND would hurt sales of new nickname merchandise, which eliminates profits, and gives away profits on Fighting Sioux merchandise. Plus it would hurt the chances of people accepting the new nickname, a lose-lose proposition for UND. If money was the major factor in these decisions then UND would have just stayed the Fighting Sioux and accepted sanctions since they caused the least problems for the hockey team. Keeping a flow of new Fighting Sioux merchandise is the best way to ensure the failure of a new nickname.

Other factors that weren't addressed in the letter include the fact that Standing Rock wouldn't even discuss the issue with UND in previous years, why would they start now. The tribes didn't want money from UND for using the name, because they said they would consider it "selling" their name and that was against their principles. The Settlement Agreement had a date to get approval. The NCAA has also indicated that they aren't going to accept new Native American names, so it is highly unlikely that they would allow UND to go back to Fighting Sioux under any conditions. As long as UND remains in the NCAA, nothing in this letter makes sense for UND.

It is very obvious that Mr Louser was not paying attention when the NCAA told the North Dakota Legislature what they could do with their state law requiring UND to keep the Fighting Sioux name. Which is a real shame since he is part of the leadership for the Republican party in the Legisature. In his letter he says that lessons have been learned, obviously not by the Republican leadership. This is just an attempt at an end around to keep using the Fighting Sioux nickname.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...