SiouxSports.com Forum

For one last time

Fetch

34 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

He pulled up a thread from 2002 a couple weeks ago. 

He's the official time capsule opener of siouxsports.com

Nickname gone football game gone untill 2019  cuts cuts and more cuts. We win many National Championships in the 80s and you come into our house in the 90s and dominate us. This is what you get.

Hockey program fans had nothing to do with this. They we me feel like victims. 

m

2 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Nickname gone football game gone untill 2019  cuts cuts and more cuts. We win many National Championships in the 80s and you come into our house in the 90s and dominate us. This is what you get.

Hockey program fans had nothing to do with this. They we me feel like victims. 

m

tumblr_n8okalT8ds1rigliuo1_1280.gif

"And, like, Fighting Sioux was way cooler too.  I'm spittin' straight-up fire!"  

On 2/13/2018 at 11:32 AM, darell1976 said:

Which hockey only fans didn’t care about. They knew sanctions would only hurt the team when it came to playing Big 10 schools and wearing a logo-less jersey during the NCAA tournament. They didn’t care about the other sports not being able to host a playoff game, losing recruits, trouble with conference affiliation and teams threatening not to schedule us. The name is retired and has been for 6 years. We are the Fighting Hawks with the name on a championship banner and we have a logo that is now sparking mascot talk. After the DAPL incident would anyone want to deal with the Standing Rock tribal council....again?

Gross generalizations aside, Yes I think just about everyone would agree that we dodged a big bullet with what happened with the DAPL, and we are making progress, we have moved on from want are old nickname and logo back, to Hating the new nickname, to hating the new logo and now to hating the prospect of a new mascot, progress!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

Gross generalizations aside, Yes I think just about everyone would agree that we dodged a big bullet with what happened with the DAPL, and we are making progress, we have moved on from want are old nickname and logo back, to Hating the new nickname, to hating the new logo and now to hating the prospect of a new mascot, progress!

Gross generalizations? You mean you don’t believe our non hockey sports was headed into trouble by keeping the Sioux name when it was documented by Dale Lennon, Tom Douple, South Dakota State Athletics, and even Big Sky commissioner Fullerton? Or the part that I said hockey only fans didn’t care about sanctions seeing it would only hurt Sioux hockey during the NCAA tournament and not being able to play Big 10 schools.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm not sure what you mean by hockey only fans, yes a large percentage of UND's fan base is primarily interested in Men's Hockey, but I think you are over exaggerating that into a "all the other sports can go f@ck themselves mentality, when its more of a lack of knowledge on the issue. granted this whole thread is moot because the nickname was changed a new logo was put in place, and we can certainly argue about whether the new branding and nickname is good or bad the Fighting Sioux Nickname is Retired and will not be coming back.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, moser53 said:

Spirit Lake Tribe.   Have you given up on this? 

Nothing they can do, we needed TWO tribal approvals per the settlement with the NCAA, as Wayne Stenjeum agreed too. Call him or the folks at Fort Yates if you are unclear how it worked.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Nothing they can do, we needed TWO tribal approvals per the settlement with the NCAA, as Wayne Stenjeum agreed too. Call him or the folks at Fort Yates if you are unclear how it worked.

Yeah pretty sure some of them filed a lawsuit, but it was thrown out due to a lack of standing.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

If your Spirit Lake and you approved the use of the name and in every other case I tribe the closest tribe was all it took. And you look at all the broken treaties that have taken place. Many there would say white man screwing us again.Nothing changes for them.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, moser53 said:

If your Spirit Lake and you approved the use of the name and in every other case I tribe the closest tribe was all it took. And you look at all the broken treaties that have taken place. Many there would say white man screwing us again.Nothing changes for them.

We didn’t have the one tribal approval because of what was agreed in the settlement. 

http://diverseeducation.com/article/4678/

this was the reason UND went to court in 2005, Spirit Lake wasn’t on board until it was too late and Standing Rock was brought into the picture.

39 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

We didn’t have the one tribal approval because of what was agreed in the settlement. 

http://diverseeducation.com/article/4678/

this was the reason UND went to court in 2005, Spirit Lake wasn’t on board until it was too late and Standing Rock was brought into the picture.

Fighting Sioux was  doomed from the start. Spirit Lake had those 2 chances slim and none. And Slim was on the Higher Ed Board. So none was there only option.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:20 AM, darell1976 said:

When people ask or mention things about the beautiful Sioux name they are NOT asking for you to set them straight... :lol: We all know you are a football only fan who worships the fhawk name. That is great for you, maybe not for some others on here...?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

When people ask or mention things about the beautiful Sioux name they are NOT asking for you to set them straight... :lol: We all know you are a football only fan who worships the fhawk name. That is great for you, maybe not for some others on here...?

Not football only but UND sports only. I follow more than just one sport. And since the Fighting Hawks is the school nickname I accept it and will cheer the name. 

10 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Not football only but UND sports only. I follow more than just one sport. And since the Fighting Hawks is the school nickname I accept it and will cheer the name. 

Season ticket holder and major contributor I assume.

38 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Season ticket holder and major contributor I assume.

Been going to games since I was 8 years old, so I’ve been contributing for 34 years. My son will be attending UND starting fall of 2019 so our first Fighting Hawk in the family.