SiouxSports.com Forum

Why not choose Nodaks

darell1976

This is so trivial, are we really nitpicking the 5 seconds an announcer might talk about this once a year as a reason to be Hawks, Sundogs etc....It would go away just the same once everyone realized North Dakota was here to stay.

UND would be the only school in Division I without a nickname. Everyone is used to seeing schools with nicknames. Do you really believe that they wouldn't talk about it, especially broadcasters that only do 1 or 2 UND games in a year?

You also aren't with him during the prep time for the broadcasts. That is the time when Jayson talks to the broadcasters and production staff to educate them about the players, teams, and school. That is the time when the broadcast team learns all of the tidbits that they later talk about on air. How much of that valuable prep time is taken up by questions about the nickname when that time could be used to educate the broadcasters about the athletes and the teams? It might only be 20 seconds or a minute on the air, but it could be 10 minutes, or 30 minutes or more during the prep time.

I guess he would need to adapt then, I do realize though that everyone has their own personal agenda behind their vote.

This is so trivial, are we really nitpicking the 5 seconds an announcer might talk about this once a year as a reason to be Hawks, Sundogs etc....It would go away just the same once everyone realized North Dakota was here to stay.

Every year UND has no nickname it will be brought up because everyone else has a nickname.

• Upvote 1

UND would be the only school in Division I without a nickname. Everyone is used to seeing schools with nicknames. Do you really believe that they wouldn't talk about it, especially broadcasters that only do 1 or 2 UND games in a year?

I guess that gets a 10 on the uniqueness scale then at least. Broadcasters and the public would learn that and get over it and not need to be reminded of that after awhile.

I guess he would need to adapt then, I do realize though that everyone has their own personal agenda behind their vote.

So you think that it is a good use of his time talking about the lack of a nickname instead of talking about the athletes and teams.

2003: number of times UND's nickname was talked about...zero

2015: number of times UND's nickname will be talked about....many.

2019: number of times UND's nickname will be talked about if we have no nickname....many.

Should be an interesting UND-NDSU game these next 2 games.

How is it derogatory when people use it to abbreviate our state and there are businesses with that name, Nodak Rural Electric? Call them up and tell them their name is derogatory, after they laugh at you and hang up report back to us on your findings.

There is a Minn-Dak Farmer's Cooperative. Does that mean Minnesotans should be called Minns? I'm guessing most (not all, of course) of the people that grew up in North Dakota are not found of NoDak--while those UND students that are from elsewhere think it's a perfectly acceptable term to describe North Dakotans (not all, of course). I'd be interested to know where the people who support NoDaks are from originally? My experience having been raised in North Dakota but living in Minnesota is that very few North Dakotans refer to themselves as NoDaks. (I never heard the term growing up.) When I got to Minnesota, I heard it more often. Usually it was a "Minnesota Nice" passive-aggressive insult (e.g. "You're a Nodak, huh? Do you cry when a tree is cut down?")

I guess that gets a 10 on the uniqueness scale then at least. Broadcasters and the public would learn that and get over it and not need to be reminded of that after awhile.

Oh my, you're killing me wit that one.  :D

Continually ask, continually answered, ad nauseum, ad infinitum, because there are constantly new members joining the "public" every day. 

Im fairly certain this could be worked around to where the athletes and team still get the recognition they deserve.

So you can make extra preparation and interview time appear magically?

COOL! Be sure to include my name on the patent application. ;) 

Oh my, you're killing me wit that one.  :D

Continually ask, continually answered, ad nauseum, ad infinitum, because there are constantly new members joining the "public" every day. 

Yeah no chance they would ever keep asking about how they became the UND Sundogs...........

There is a Minn-Dak Farmer's Cooperative. Does that mean Minnesotans should be called Minns? I'm guessing most (not all, of course) of the people that grew up in North Dakota are not found of NoDak--while those UND students that are from elsewhere think it's a perfectly acceptable term to describe North Dakotans (not all, of course). I'd be interested to know where the people who support NoDaks are from originally? My experience having been raised in North Dakota but living in Minnesota is that very few North Dakotans refer to themselves as NoDaks. (I never heard the term growing up.) When I got to Minnesota, I heard it more often. Usually it was a "Minnesota Nice" passive-aggressive insult.

When my mom addresses an envelope she puts Fargo, NoDak. She doesn't use N.D. I have never lived outside this state so NoDak was heard of and I am not offended because I consider anyone from this state a NoDak short for North Dakotan. As for your Minn-Dak comment isn't Minn another postal abbreviation?

There is a Minn-Dak Farmer's Cooperative. Does that mean Minnesotans should be called Minns? I'm guessing most (not all, of course) of the people that grew up in North Dakota are not found of NoDak--while those UND students that are from elsewhere think it's a perfectly acceptable term to describe North Dakotans (not all, of course). I'd be interested to know where the people who support NoDaks are from originally? My experience having been raised in North Dakota but living in Minnesota is that very few North Dakotans refer to themselves as NoDaks. (I never heard the term growing up.) When I got to Minnesota, I heard it more often. Usually it was a "Minnesota Nice" passive-aggressive insult (e.g. "You're a Nodak, huh? Do you cry when a tree is cut down?")

I grew up in North Dakota, not far from Grand Forks. I graduated from UND in 1982. I lived in the Twin Cities for several years. I returned to live in Grand Forks quite a few years ago. I've heard NoDaks for pretty much all of my life. I rarely heard it used in a bad way. The only ones that used it in a bad way would have used any term to describe North Dakota residents in a bad way. I think it is a very boring sports nickname, but it is in no way offensive.

Yeah no chance they would ever keep asking about how they became the UND Sundogs...........

How often do people talk about how the University of Minnesota became the Gophers? Or how Saint Louis University became the Billikens? Or how Miami of Ohio became the Redhawks (unless the subject is schools changing nicknames)? The origin of nicknames is rarely discussed on the air. But UND going without a nickname is mentioned during just about every broadcast not done by Midcontinent or the UND network.