SiouxSports.com Forum

Why not choose Nodaks

darell1976

Can't say I remember any mention of the nickname issue during all the games I watched last year.  What games are you refering to?  Was there something said during the final 4 or regionals?

Hajdu keeps complaining about this also but I really dont remember it being brought up much if at all.....

Can't say I remember any mention of the nickname issue during all the games I watched last year.  What games are you refering to?  Was there something said during the final 4 or regionals?

Hajdu keeps complaining about this also but I really dont remember it being brought up much if at all.....

YOu guys must not watch too many games then.  On the National broadcasts, it always comes up!

ESPN and I think FSN during the UND-Minnesota basketball game. It's usually the channels not local like MidcoSN.

Yep and marketing has sucked, and the name debate has been ongoing from the net to the paper to games. Can we have a game on ESPN or FSN where your non-nickname is not brought up. By just being North Dakota this nickname debate will never end!!

Ok..,."marketing has sucked" because EVERYONE KNOWS THERE WILL BE A NEW NAME SOON! Now, if it is said that using just, here you go now, The University of North Dakota as our official name. Watch the sales bounce back! Nobody will worry about having to buy another new jersey, etc.... with a new name on it later.

I can't find it right now but I thought Bucci and Melrose made some comments about "what do we call these guys" during the national semis. 

And if they do mention it for a whopping 5 seconds who cares....I really dont think its taking away from the athletes. zzzzzzzzz

Every minute they talk about anything but the athletes is a minute they aren't talking about the athletes. 

I can't find it right now but I thought Bucci and Melrose made some comments about "what do we call these guys" during the national semis. 

Correct.......but that was brief and only in between fawning over Jack Eichel!

Every minute they talk about anything but the athletes is a minute they aren't talking about the athletes. 

Guess what they are gona do if we change the name to hawks riders etc, the same thing. Talk about the old name/ name change....wont matter if we stay ND or pick a new name.  And eventually it wont be a story anymore regardless. I fail to see the logic that a new nickname will solve that issue any differently.

I hear it a lot and cringe every time its brought up.  Here are just a few examples of where it was part of the in-game story line:

1. UND men's basketball vs. Kansas Jayhawks

2. UND football vs. Fresno State

3. UND football vs. San Diego State

4. UND football vs.San Jose State

5. UND football vs. Idaho

6. UND basketball vs. Wisconsin

7. UND women's basketball vs. Texas A&M

8. UND football vs. Missouri St.

9. UND men's basketball at Utah

10. UND men's basketball at Marquette

11. UND men's baskeball at Minnesota Gophers

Guess what they are gona do if we change the name to hawks riders etc, the same thing. Talk about the old name/ name change....wont matter if we stay ND or pick a new name. And eventually it wont be a story anymore regardless. I fail to see the logic that a new nickname will solve that issue any differently.

And once that new nickname sets in they won't talk about it. How many times does Redskins get brought up at state tournaments? How many times does the Bullets name get brought up in NBA games, answer none, because the change happened a while ago it's now sunk in so would've the new nickname if they would have picked one 3 years ago.

Oh...so it does work? It doesn't make stupid people say University of North Dakota North Dakota?

Glad that is put to rest...

No, no. You said, "... The University of North Dakota as our official name." 

Key words: official name. I said it is.

Brad Berry's contract to hockey isn't with ___________, it's with the University of North Dakota. 

At present we have no nickname

You also aren't with him during the prep time for the broadcasts. That is the time when Jayson talks to the broadcasters and production staff to educate them about the players, teams, and school. That is the time when the broadcast team learns all of the tidbits that they later talk about on air. How much of that valuable prep time is taken up by questions about the nickname when that time could be used to educate the broadcasters about the athletes and the teams? It might only be 20 seconds or a minute on the air, but it could be 10 minutes, or 30 minutes or more during the prep time.

And once that new nickname sets in they won't talk about it. How many times does Redskins get brought up at state tournaments? How many times does the Bullets name get brought up in NBA games, answer none, because the change happened a while ago it's now sunk in so would've the new nickname if they would have picked one 3 years ago.

This is so trivial, are we really nitpicking the 5 seconds an announcer might talk about this once a year as a reason to be Hawks, Sundogs etc....It would go away just the same once everyone realized North Dakota was here to stay.

This is so trivial, are we really nitpicking the 5 seconds an announcer might talk about this once a year as a reason to be Hawks, Sundogs etc....It would go away just the same once everyone realized North Dakota was here to stay.

I highly doubt that, especially at the national media level where it truly matters. 

NoDak=derogatory term for those from North Dakota

How is it derogatory when people use it to abbreviate our state and there are businesses with that name, Nodak Rural Electric? Call them up and tell them their name is derogatory, after they laugh at you and hang up report back to us on your findings.