SiouxSports.com Forum

How Long Will It Take To Move On

geaux_sioux

Over/Under Time to Move On  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Will it Take the Hockey Only Crowd to Move on to The New Nickname?

• Under Five Years
    • Five Years Exactly
    • Over Five Years
    • Over Ten Years
    • You Can Pry My Fighting Sioux Jersey From My Cold Dead Petty Hand

Tom covers FB and other less popular sports.  I never realized this but it appears the other programs are a tad salty at the success of the hockey program (and the coverage it receives).  Maybe that has something to do with it.  Sad though, because we should all be on the same team.

There is something to this; however, it's not just the success and coverage that UND hockey receives, but also the excessive emphasis/support from the administration. 

NDSU is where it is because it emphasizes sports that the nation cares about.

UND is where it is because it emphasizes sports that the region cares about. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tom Miller pretty much called us (the no name crowd) the same thing in his article I read today.  Different opinion of Tom after reading that.

Also, who is the many and who is the few in your quote from spock?

The many are the people that will support UND no matter how this whole thing shakes out. The few are the people that will disown UND and their association with it if they don't get "North Dakota".

I just read some of the 140 character responses to the statement by @UNDSID yesterday:

"We need more cooling off time!"

Really? Since the 2012 statewide vote, or since the 2011 settlement agreement, or since the 2005 NCAA policy? 

Apparently you weren't paying attention. 

"The committee was a sham!"

The committee was commissioned with a task published on UND.edu. Did you not read what that was?

This is reaching the point of people who get upset after the tax increase or rate increase hits their wallet ... after they were sent the information about the assessment district or rate increase hearings that they just ignored and assumed someone else would take care. 

Welcome to Civics 101: Get engaged early or don't complain about the outcome. 

• Upvote 1

Tom covers FB and other less popular sports.  I never realized this but it appears the other programs are a tad salty at the success of the hockey program (and the coverage it receives).  Maybe that has something to do with it.  Sad though, because we should all be on the same team.

When/if Roughriders is eliminated, I believe there will be many that are on the same team.  

Remaining North Dakota, no nickname, would be my second choice of the seven that were left.

It will take me awhile to move on from the name but I eventually will. The thing that bothers me the most is Alumni and ND residents have not had much of a say in the final process. Wasn't this the whole point of the "committee"? This whole committee thing has been a joke since day 1 and it gets worse and worse everyday. I for one am sick of being the laughed at (in the newspapers, radio, and TV) over this huge mess.

• Upvote 2

There is something to this; however, it's not just the success and coverage that UND hockey receives, but also the excessive emphasis/support from the administration. 

NDSU is where it is because it emphasizes sports that the nation cares about.

UND is where it is because it emphasizes sports that the region cares about. 

I went to two fb games last season when I was visiting my folks (they are season ticket holders).  There were tons of people at both games.  That seems like support to me.  Maybe it is the rebuilding aspect based on the poor performance of a prior coach.  Once they hire a strong coach and good recruiters then they'll be back.

The many are the people that will support UND no matter how this whole thing shakes out. The few are the people that will disown UND and their association with it if they don't get "North Dakota".

So you're with group one?

I just read some of the 140 character responses to the statement by @UNDSID yesterday:

"We need more cooling off time!"

Really? Since the 2012 statewide vote, or since the 2011 settlement agreement, or since the 2005 NCAA policy? 

"The committee was a sham!"

The committee was commissioned with a task published on UND.edu. Did you not read what that was?

This is reaching the point of people who get upset after the tax increase or rate increase hits their wallet ... after they were sent the information about the assessment district or rate increase hearings that they just ignored and assumed someone else would take care. 

Welcome to Civics 101: Get engaged early or don't complain about the outcome

Those who are complaining were very much engaged early on in the process.  "Fighting Sioux" and "North Dakota" were the overwhelming favorite choices from the public submittable process this past Spring.  Many, if not the majority, of those who were continually engaged in the process were in favor of "North Dakota."  Despite the clear favorability of "North Dakota" to many, if not most, of those engaged in the process, the committee still removed "North Dakota" as an option. 

That's what their gripe is about.

• Upvote 1

People talk like the hockey program owes the other athletic programs something for being so successful... What has women's volleyball done for hockey lately. The people that bitch about the hockey program should really get a clue about where UND gets a hefty amount of their money from. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Willy, you are on fire!! Cheers...

Those who are complaining were very much engaged early on in the process. 

My definition of early is on or about August 5, 2005.

And honestly, that should maybe say December of 2000. 

Who was engaged and trying to fight the fight?

Why, a man many here disparaged. (I might need to create one of those "Miss me yet?" memes with his image.)

Why, a man many here disparaged. (I might need to create one of those "Miss me yet?" memes with his image.)

Right, but I don't think the current uproar involves the NCAA-Fighting Sioux issue.  The gripe is that a publicly funded committee dismissed the will of much, if not most, of the public.

• Upvote 3

Right, but I don't think the current uproar involves the NCAA-Fighting Sioux issue.  The gripe is that a publicly funded committee dismissed the will of much, if not most, of the public.

I'm pretty sure that the committee comprised volunteers and were not paid to do this specific work, unless you mean simply, "a public committee."

this is a fan forum...doesn't everyone get disparaged here from time to time??
  • Downvote 1

I'm pretty sure that the committee comprised volunteers and were not paid to do this specific work, unless you mean simply, "a public committee."

Thanks for the correction.  A publicly funded nickname process with volunteers who dismissed the will of the public.

Deal with the original cause, and never have to deal with secondary effects. 

They were engaged and attempted to deal with the original cause.  Wayne Stenehjem did not do a great lawyering job, however.

They were engaged and attempted to deal with the original cause.  Wayne Stenehjem did not do a great lawyering job, however.

They were engaged, but that is a different 'they', not the 'they' bemoaning the current circumstance. 

Today's twitter-azzi, where were they in 2000-2006, when a real difference could be made? 

Yeah, becuase a bunch of students on a hockey team get to decide what jersey they will wear when competing for the school that pays them their scholrship to play there.  Sorry bud, that's not the way it works.  Sorry to burst your bubble, but just because the hockey team produces the most revenue for the athletic department, doesn't mean that they can do whatever they want. 

I'm pretty sure the coaching staff has some input in what style of jerseys they want and I'm willing to bet they will just stay with the North Dakota script jerseys. It isn't like it is uncommon to see hockey jerseys with the name spelled out across the front rather than going with a logo on the front.

So, what you are saying is that the hockey team is above the rest of the athletic department and the university?

That's why others say there is a hockey only mentality at UND. 

Suffice it to say that when the new name arrives and the logo/emblem comes with it, it WILL be on the new hockey uniforms.  The marketing of the new logo/emblem will hinge on the hockey team, as it is the most popular sport on the campus and with the fans.  To say that the hockey team just will decide on their own not to use the new nickname is pure delusion. 

I'm just saying I don't think the team will really embrace it and the North Dakota script will remain on the front of the uniforms rather than putting a logo on the front. There may be a very small logo on the shoulder or something but I would bet the logo will not be a very prominent part of the uniform. It isn't like it is an uncommon thing to see a teams name on the front of the jersey rather than a logo in hockey anyway.