SiouxSports.com Forum

How Long Will It Take To Move On

geaux_sioux

Over/Under Time to Move On  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Will it Take the Hockey Only Crowd to Move on to The New Nickname?

• Under Five Years
    • Five Years Exactly
    • Over Five Years
    • Over Ten Years
    • You Can Pry My Fighting Sioux Jersey From My Cold Dead Petty Hand

You do realize you just called everyone who doesn't agree with your side of the argument tantrum throwing colleagues of his right?

What would you call people that want to stay "North Dakota" forever, despite the possible consequences to the entire institution? Is there a better term for those people that wrote into the Heraldo today threatening to not support UND anymore? If you have a better term, then tell me. I suppose selfish would fit the bill.

• Downvote 1

I would have said a couple of years ago, "NEVER!"

Now, I'd say less than five years.  Heck, if the hockey team wins the NCAA under the name "Sundogs", I wouldn't be surprised if they embrace that name.  Winning changes everything. 

I still hate Sundogs.... 

I have a hard time believing the hockey team will really ever embrace or use the new nickname/logo no matter what it is. I think they will just stick with the current uniforms they have now and continue to use North Dakota. If they won a title this year I also wouldn't be at all surprised if they made sure to somehow incorporate the Fighting Sioux name/logo in post game celebration especially in the locker room. It was cool this year that we still got to see the Fighting Sioux logo during hockey games as Zane had a patch on his chest protector and you could make it out under his jersey especially the white jerseys pretty easily.

I have a hard time believing the hockey team will really ever embrace or use the new nickname/logo no matter what it is. I think they will just stick with the current uniforms they have now and continue to use North Dakota. If they won a title this year I also wouldn't be at all surprised if they made sure to somehow incorporate the Fighting Sioux name/logo in post game celebration especially in the locker room. It was cool this year that we still got to see the Fighting Sioux logo during hockey games as Zane had a patch on his chest protector and you could make it out under his jersey especially the white jerseys pretty easily.

The players indeed used the name/logo as added fire/motivation etc. I am guessing/hoping that will continue.

What would you call people that want to stay "North Dakota" forever, despite the possible consequences to the entire institution? Is there a better term for those people that wrote into the Heraldo today threatening to not support UND anymore? If you have a better term, then tell me. I suppose selfish would fit the bill.

"Despite possible consequences"

There are a lot of consequences that come with a new nickname that no one can agree on as well. The biggest consequence I hear over and over from the pro nickname crowd is that you can't brand just North Dakota. This is a bunch of bull$%!#. I have a closet full of University of North Dakota apparel with no Sioux connection. The exact stuff they have been selling for a couple of years now. What I won't ever have in my closet is (enter new !@#!$ nickname) clothing. I'm not the only one.

So, what you are saying is that the hockey team is above the rest of the athletic department and the university?

That's why others say there is a hockey only mentality at UND. 

Suffice it to say that when the new name arrives and the logo/emblem comes with it, it WILL be on the new hockey uniforms.  The marketing of the new logo/emblem will hinge on the hockey team, as it is the most popular sport on the campus and with the fans.  To say that the hockey team just will decide on their own not to use the new nickname is pure delusion. 

• Upvote 1

"Despite possible consequences"

There are a lot of consequences that come with a new nickname that no one can agree on as well. The biggest consequence I hear over and over from the pro nickname crowd is that you can't brand just North Dakota. This is a bunch of bull$%!#. I have a closet full of University of North Dakota apparel with no Sioux connection. The exact stuff they have been selling for a couple of years now. What I won't ever have in my closet is (enter new !@#!$ nickname) clothing. I'm not the only one.

I am talking about the NCAA determining in their infinite wisdom (sarcasm) that "North Dakota" is really a clandestine version of "Fighting Sioux". Then it's back on the naughty list with Alcorn State and with that, all the problems that it will cause our coaches and student-athletes.

Pretty sure willythekid was talking about the fact that you: 

1. Called all people with a different opinion about the nickname "temper tantrum throwing colleagues"

2. Proclaimed yourself the "winner" because someone else called you slapnuts. "Name calling means you are losing the argument"

I'm no expert on logic but I think I see some inconsistencies there.

• Upvote 1

That all comes back to their leadership.  Is Brad Berry going to be the only coach on campus who fights the process by not supporting it?  Thus, leading his players and their fan base to do the same?  

I think we can all agree:  If Berry were to come out and state that he and his program are behind the nickname process and want what's best for the university-as his SID pointed out yesterday- the rest of the players and fan base would follow suit. 

• Upvote 1

I guess I missed this part of the debate, but what exactly are these consequences you speak of... and why would an institution suffer any for choosing a new nickname by incorporating it's geolocation? Seems like a made-up argument meant to bolster an opinion.

That all comes back to their leadership.  Is Brad Berry going to be the only coach on campus who fights the process by not supporting it?  Thus, leading his players and their fan base to do the same?  

I think we can all agree:  If Berry were to come out and state that he and his program are behind the nickname process and want what's best for the university-as his SID pointed out yesterday- the rest of the players and fan base would follow suit. 

It wouldn't surprise me if such a statement were not made within the new couple of weeks.  Why would Berry risk his job over a nickname?  He'll embrace the new name and the players will as well.  Because it's for the good of unity within the UND family. 

Pretty sure willythekid was talking about the fact that you: 

1. Called all people with a different opinion about the nickname "temper tantrum throwing colleagues"

2. Proclaimed yourself the "winner" because someone else called you slapnuts. "Name calling means you are losing the argument"

I'm no expert on logic but I think I see some inconsistencies there.

Pretty sure I am not the only one that is calling the "Fighting Sioux Forever" crowd "temper tantrum throwers". Geaux basically called them "toddlers" in the initial posting on this thread. And I agree with him.

As Mr. Spock (the late Leonard Nimoy) used to put it: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one."

• Downvote 1

I am talking about the NCAA determining in their infinite wisdom (sarcasm) that "North Dakota" is really a clandestine version of "Fighting Sioux". Then it's back on the naughty list with Alcorn State and with that, all the problems that it will cause our coaches and student-athletes.

When did the NCAA make this determination? I missed that press release.

This is also a scare tactic. I have neither read nor heard anywhere that the NC$$ will not allow UND to carry on without a nickname. Here's a news flash... The NC$$ along with the PC crowd might have problems with the rough riders nickname in the not-so-distant future. The PC crowd didn't like Boone from Denver.

Pretty sure I am not the only one that is calling the "Fighting Sioux Forever" crowd "temper tantrum throwers". Geaux basically called them "toddlers" in the initial posting on this thread. And I agree with him.

As Mr. Spock (the late Leonard Nimoy) used to put it: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one."

Yikes... trekkie alert.

It wouldn't surprise me if such a statement were not made within the new couple of weeks.  Why would Berry risk his job over a nickname?  He'll embrace the new name and the players will as well.  Because it's for the good of unity within the UND family. 

LOL - yah right.  They have really shown they care about the rest of campus.

They haven't. Yet. They probably are watching this whole sorry exercise from a distance to see what happens. You won't hear from them unless we go along with "North Dakota". By then it will be too late to avoid their wrath.

So, you have insider information validating this. Or your opinion? I suspect the latter.

so which are you?

The Times They Are a Changin'.....I may be one of the biggest Fighting Sioux Nickname supporters but even I know that we all need to move on and support a new nickname because there is no chance of going back. We might as well accept the change and embrace the new nickname(Hopefully the Fighting Hawks). If you don't believe UND and their fans need a nickname and mascot to market you are high out of your mind.  

• Upvote 2

They haven't. Yet. They probably are watching this whole sorry exercise from a distance to see what happens. You won't hear from them unless we go along with "North Dakota". By then it will be too late to avoid their wrath.

Ah yes, the unsupported opinion that after playing as "North Dakota' for the past three years, the NCAA will no longer allow that option.

LOL - yah right. They have really shown they care about the rest of campus.

People talk like the hockey program owes the other athletic programs something for being so successful... What has women's volleyball done for hockey lately. The people that bitch about the hockey program should really get a clue about where UND gets a hefty amount of their money from. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

• Upvote 2