SiouxSports.com Forum

How Long Will It Take To Move On

geaux_sioux

Over/Under Time to Move On  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How Long Will it Take the Hockey Only Crowd to Move on to The New Nickname?

• Under Five Years
    • Five Years Exactly
    • Over Five Years
    • Over Ten Years
    • You Can Pry My Fighting Sioux Jersey From My Cold Dead Petty Hand

I think the passion is stronger here than at Marquette and they are over 20 years since they dropped Warriors and most of their Alum and even students still consider them the Warriors. of course they went with a generic "add color" "add bird" nickname which I am sure is a mistake that we won't ......err, nevermind

• Upvote 1

Nice poll bro.

Your description of Sioux/North Dakota supporters as "toddlers" and "petty" isn't exactly how I see it. I see people whose University and State Board of Higher Ed leadership gave them absolutely no assistance in fighting the battle against the NCAA taking away the existing nickname and identity (most recognizable and lauded in NCAA in some opinions) that we proudly had for years. The SAME battle that schools like Utah, Florida State, and Illinois were all able to win easily. I understand that we had two tribes to deal with, but the University's leadership never made a concerted effort to increase nickname support in those places.

For those that say "If just one person is offended, that's too many", well I guess I could describe that mindset with some words of my own but it's all good. We all have opinions (among other things), and name-calling over a difference could fairly easily be described as petty and childish.

GO SIOUX

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Wow, really? You create a poll, and then call people toddlers for stating their opinions in other threads. Who's really acting like the toddler?

Never mind blaming everything on the hockey only crowd.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nice poll bro.

Your description of Sioux/North Dakota supporters as "toddlers" and "petty" isn't exactly how I see it. I see people whose University and State Board of Higher Ed leadership gave them absolutely no assistance in fighting the battle against the NCAA taking away the existing nickname and identity (most recognizable and lauded in NCAA in some opinions) that we proudly had for years. The SAME battle that schools like Utah, Florida State, and Illinois were all able to win easily. I understand that we had two tribes to deal with, but the University's leadership never made a concerted effort to increase nickname support in those places.

For those that say "If just one person is offended, that's too many", well I guess I could describe that mindset with some words of my own but it's all good. We all have opinions (among other things), and name-calling over a difference could fairly easily be described as petty and childish.

GO SIOUX

Not here to rip on the Siou name.  I loved it.  Was sad to see it go.  But nost reconizable and lauded in the NCAA?!!!  This is one thing that is affecting many people who  are nt willing to change.  Yes the Sioux name and the Brien logo were great.  But UND is more than a logo and a name.  Sure it was our identity for 80 years.  But they were the University of North Dakota before, and they are after the Sioux name.  People are attatched to a name and logo.  If UND never changed their name from the flickertails, I would be a die hard UND Flickertail fan today!!  When the NHL announced that a team was returning to Minnesota, did people wait to see what the name was going to be before they decided if they were going to cheer for them?  NO!!  Because they are a fan of the team first, not the name.  So for all the people that love the Sioux name, I was deffinitely there with you.  UND will always be my favorite college sports team in every sport.  I am a fan of UND not my Sioux hockey jersey.

• Upvote 2

I have a question for everyone as it relates to this topic. Not trying to start any arguments, just looking for an honest answer from people. There are obviously two sides to this, people that don't want a nickname and people that do want a nickname. For arguments sake I know there are some that just like the name North Dakota but it's pretty obvious about 85% of the no nickname crowd is Sioux forever people. So we have Sioux forever vs a new nickname. What that new name is doesn't matter for my question.

My question is why should the portion of the fanbase/alums/students that want to move on have to wait 10-15 years so the other group of fans can properly mourn the Sioux name before we select a new one?

The other thing is the group of fans/alums wanting to move on MIGHT be bigger. Yes they may disagree on what the new name is but every poll I have seen tells me more fans want to move on with some kind of name. I'm not talking a specific name I am talking any name vs no nickname.

So, why should the "potential," majority have to wait for the "potential," minority to properly mourn the Sioux name before moving? Again not trying to start a big argument just curious what people's thoughts are?

• Upvote 2

Not here to rip on the Siou name.  I loved it.  Was sad to see it go.  But nost reconizable and lauded in the NCAA?!!!  This is one thing that is affecting many people who  are nt willing to change.  Yes the Sioux name and the Brien logo were great.  But UND is more than a logo and a name.  Sure it was our identity for 80 years.  But they were the University of North Dakota before, and they are after the Sioux name.  People are attatched to a name and logo.  If UND never changed their name from the flickertails, I would be a die hard UND Flickertail fan today!!  When the NHL announced that a team was returning to Minnesota, did people wait to see what the name was going to be before they decided if they were going to cheer for them?  NO!!  Because they are a fan of the team first, not the name.  So for all the people that love the Sioux name, I was deffinitely there with you.  UND will always be my favorite college sports team in every sport.  I am a fan of UND not my Sioux hockey jersey.

Yeah man, in my opinion and experience the Sioux nickname/logo was one of the most highly recognized in the NCAA. I would base this on numerous "best jersey" contests in which UND gear would advance past many NHL teams, and also my own experience of being stopped in airports, golf courses, random bars and having people talk to me about the Sioux. I don't think Eastern Carolina alums (random school selected, no meaning whatsoever) have that kind of thing happen to them very often.

Just a tangential opinion, no biggy. I'm a fan of UND sports too, but I'm a little bummed out by being sold out by the snakes within as we lost the nickname battle. Cheers.

I have a question for everyone as it relates to this topic. Not trying to start any arguments, just looking for an honest answer from people. There are obviously two sides to this, people that don't want a nickname and people that do want a nickname. For arguments sake I know there are some that just like the name North Dakota but it's pretty obvious about 85% of the no nickname crowd is Sioux forever people. So we have Sioux forever vs a new nickname. What that new name is doesn't matter for my question.

My question is why should the portion of the fanbase/alums/students that want to move on have to wait 10-15 years so the other group of fans can properly mourn the Sioux name before we select a new one?

The other thing is the group of fans/alums wanting to move on MIGHT be bigger. Yes they may disagree on what the new name is but every poll I have seen tells me more fans want to move on with some kind of name. I'm not talking a specific name I am talking any name vs no nickname.

So, why should the "potential," majority have to wait for the "potential," minority to properly mourn the Sioux name before moving? Again not trying to start a big argument just curious what people's thoughts are?

Good questions. I don't really put much stock into any of the polls that are done online and/or by the papers....it's not like anyone has hired a polling firm.

So I have my thoughts and those of my friends that I went to school with that I see on occasion and others that I interact with through social media. So in looking at my fellow UND attending friends I would say it is about 95% of them are in favor of remaining North Dakota.

Appreciate your question, and I will explain my opinion and philosophy.  First, I would not use a percentage (85%) in your argument as you have no clue as to what is in the minds of folks who want no nickname.  I am in your so called "no nickname" crowd, but have stated I would move on if a nickname was put forth along with remaining "North Dakota" to a vote and the majority wins.  I also am offended with folks who have used the scare tactic of being put back on the NCAA naughty list if a nickname is not chosen.  If President Kelley had not discussed that possibility with the NCAA and did not report that back he should have left much sooner than he is going to.  Please review the NCAA agreement and as I also have mentioned before the toughest issue for the university is maintaining the logo and nickname intellectual property. 

Some see the old name as a living, breathing thing. Why not look at it that way: 

The old name had a "diagnosis" or "a condition" since the 1960s.

The condition kept degrading because it was really never treated. 

It was going through relapse and remission through the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

It had a serious life-threatening flare in 2000.

It got a terminal diagnosis on August 5, 2005. 

Various treatment options were explored, albeit long after initial diagnosis.

It got put on life support (settlement agreement). 

It finally passed away. 

You don't have to wait... move on. You are free to jump on the bandwagon at any time, but dont demand others to follow you...and don't critisize, ridicule, or taunt with names and conjecture those with differing opinions. That seems to be the tactic for some.

• Upvote 2

Good questions. I don't really put much stock into any of the polls that are done online and/or by the papers....it's not like anyone has hired a polling firm.

So I have my thoughts and those of my friends that I went to school with that I see on occasion and others that I interact with through social media. So in looking at my fellow UND attending friends I would say it is about 95% of them are in favor of remaining North Dakota.

Well, I am not sure many people would put too much stock in your "I would say it is about" poll that you have taken either!!  :)

You are what is wrong with UND right now.  You and all of your temper tantrum throwing toddler colleagues. Get over yourself. :angry:

Great post as always, slapnuts.Try keeping up though. I've posted many times where I stand on the nickname.....temper tantrum has never been involved. Get your head out of your ass!

I would have said a couple of years ago, "NEVER!"

Now, I'd say less than five years.  Heck, if the hockey team wins the NCAA under the name "Sundogs", I wouldn't be surprised if they embrace that name.  Winning changes everything. 

I still hate Sundogs.... 

Great post as always, slapnuts.Try keeping up though. I've posted many times where I stand on the nickname.....temper tantrum has never been involved. Get your head out of your ass!

You just proved me right, as always. You want what you want and that is all that matters in your little world.

Oh, and nice insult. Name calling means you are losing the argument.

• Downvote 1

You just proved me right, as always. You want what you want and that is all that matters in your little world.

Oh, and nice insult. Name calling means you are losing the argument.

What part of pulling your head out of your ass do you not understand? Go back and look where I stand on the issue....you don't know what your talking about.