SiouxSports.com Forum

Collaborative Energy Center

GeauxSioux

UND Breaks Ground on Collaborative Energy Center

UND+Collaborative+Energy+Complex.jpg

The University of North Dakota broke ground Monday on the Collaborative Energyicon1.png Complex, a new facility that will become the new front door to UND's College of Engineering and Mines.

The nearly 37,000-plus square-foot Collaborative Energy Complex (CEC) will be set on the southeast part of campus between Leonard Hall and Upson Hall I. The new CEC will connect the two existing facilities, forming a major engineering education and research complex on campus that will include Upson Hall I & II, Harrington Hall and the nearby Wilson M. Laird Core and Sample Library.

• Nearly 37,000 square feet of research/teaching labs and customized spaces for students, faculty, and industry
• More than 7,500 square feet of new lab space for the College of Engineering and Mines
• A 40-vertical-foot High Bay Lab equipped with a two ton bridge crane
• Solberg Family Student Success Center for all Engineering and Geology Students, with mentoring, advising, internships, industry interaction, enrollment services, and more
• Hess Innovationicon1.png Lab for students to explore innovative ways to solve challenges facing our state, nation, and the world
• Hess 3D Visualization and Reservoir Simulation Lab
• Hess Drilling Simulation Lab
• Solberg and Hamilton Atriums with displays designed to educate students and visitors
• Student study space and gathering areas
• Physical connection to the Harold Hamm School of Geology and Geological Engineering
• Easy access to the Wilson M. Laird Core and Sample Library

Thanks to all who made this happen.  If I were of the college age, this is the direction that I would take.

• Upvote 2

The Wilson M. Laird Core and Sample Library will also be expanded over the next few years thanks to $13 million from the state.

Also, plans are to have an interconnecting sky walk over Centennial Drive from the new CEC to the expanded Core Library.  I think that's cool!

• Upvote 1

Also, plans are to have an interconnecting sky walk over Centennial Drive from the new CEC to the expanded Core Library.  I think that's cool!

That does sound nice, although I don't think there's much traffic back in that area to make it necessary.  I'd hope the $$ could be better spent.

Anyone know how much this CEC building is estimated to cost?

Oh, there is more than one might think.  I drive that route everyday multiple times a day and always see people (students, faculty, industry reps) crossing from Upson I and Harrington Hall to the Core Library, even more in the fall and spring semesters. They are speculating an enrollment of 350 in the Petroleum Engineering Department, alone, this fall.  That's up from just 4, four years ago. Those students and industry representatives in the state all use the facility, and with the expansion there will be more reasons to use it than ever before.  I am glad they quashed the idea to move the Core Library to Bismarck.