SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

I sense there are too many people in power at the university that would be totally fine seeing ndsu as Boise State to their Idaho.

Some of this responsibility is on the coaching staffs as well.  They have to start spreading the message to their alumni on how important this is for the university.  

NDSU's way of doing this is one example of how to do it.  They choose the raise money now route to capitalize on their momentum.  A solid business case can be put together for this and I think UND fans would step to the plate as well.  There is no award for being the 2nd FCS team to do it.  They aren't starting until 2016 so they aren't going to get recruits this year because they announced this yesterday.  

However, now a bullet point for the other regional schools is its here.  To be competitive, we will need to push this forward but the communication of the dollars and what it is for is the key component.  Also, a big year from the basketball, football and volleyball programs wouldn't hurt.  

You've been told umpteen times that the NCAA does not determine Title IX, but the feds do.  Dumb azz bizons.

You seriously don't think the NCAA has a compliance officer in this regard? Wow. The Feds made the law. They don't administrate it.

You seriously don't think the NCAA has a compliance officer in this regard? Wow. The Feds made the law. They don't administrate it.

You have the smallest bison brain around.  Why were Federal agents sniffing around the Gophers athletic facilities when women blew the whistle on the gophers following Title IX, measuring locker rooms and stuff.  The NCAA isn't an agent or branch of the federal government. 

You have the smallest bison brain around.  Why were Federal agents sniffing around the Gophers athletic facilities when women blew the whistle on the gophers following Title IX, measuring locker rooms and stuff.  The NCAA isn't an agent or branch of the federal government. 

Again---do you not think the NCAA has a compliance officer in regards to title IX?

Another example of what is wrong with UND athletics is illustrated by today's Grand Forks Heraldo headline:

'No Nickname' removed: Kelley leaves 'UND/North Dakota' option off ballot for October vote.

So let me ask a very serious question right now: Which is more important to UND's present and future; this nickname business or the failure to fund FCOA for anything but hockey?

The answer, in my opinion, is obvious. But it isn't obvious to the people in charge at Twamley Hall and Hyslop. And those are the people that need to get it through their thick skulls about how important it is for our coaches and players to be on a level playing field when it comes to resources. Otherwise, this whole move to Division I was a waste of time, money and effort.

While NDSU focuses on a nationally televised game vs. Montana, we are still bickering over if we should have a new name and logo or not.

God help us, we need it.

• Upvote 1

Another example of what is wrong with UND athletics is illustrated by today's Grand Forks Heraldo headline:

'No Nickname' removed: Kelley leaves 'UND/North Dakota' option off ballot for October vote.

So let me ask a very serious question right now: Which is more important to UND's present and future; this nickname business or the failure to fund FCOA for anything but hockey?

The answer, in my opinion, is obvious. But it isn't obvious to the people in charge at Twamley Hall and Hyslop. And those are the people that need to get it through their thick skulls about how important it is for our coaches and players to be on a level playing field when it comes to resources. Otherwise, this whole move to Division I was a waste of time, money and effort.

While NDSU focuses on a nationally televised game vs. Montana, we are still bickering over if we should have a new name and logo or not.

God help us, we need it.

In fairness to the people in Twamley Hall and Hyslop, our fanbase and the state of North Dakota has not allowed them to move on. They would have gladly done it 5 years ago. That argument has been brought up and labeled as fear mongering. 

Some of this responsibility is on the coaching staffs as well.  They have to start spreading the message to their alumni on how important this is for the university.  

NDSU's way of doing this is one example of how to do it.  They choose the raise money now route to capitalize on their momentum.  A solid business case can be put together for this and I think UND fans would step to the plate as well.  There is no award for being the 2nd FCS team to do it.  They aren't starting until 2016 so they aren't going to get recruits this year because they announced this yesterday.  

However, now a bullet point for the other regional schools is its here.  To be competitive, we will need to push this forward but the communication of the dollars and what it is for is the key component.  Also, a big year from the basketball, football and volleyball programs wouldn't hurt.  

Actually this is Faison's responsibility to go to the alumni with this, which is probably the biggest problem I have with him.  Larsen went to his alumni base with a targeted dollar amount of what this would cost and they stepped up.  Has anyone heard  Faison say anything on what it would cost for UND to fund this for football, MBB and comparable womens sports?  He hasn't even tried and I bet has not even crunched the numbers for funding this other than for M/W hockey.  I'm a football alumni and season ticket holder who has donated money to this program and the athletic department.  I'm on mailing lists for both of these and just last month golfed in our alumni golf tournament here in the cities where Faison spoke.  Do you he think this might have been a topic that he should have addressed to an audience of football alumni, many of whom are generious donors to the program?  Radio silence.  He isn't even going to try.

• Upvote 1

Again---do you not think the NCAA has a compliance officer in regards to title IX?

Are you serious?  The Feds have enforced Title IX, not the NCAA.  The NCAA has wording that schools must have x and x number of male and female teams.  When Title IX has gone to court, it's not the NCAA that sues, but the Feds or women's groups.

Actually this is Faison's responsibility to go to the alumni with this ... Faison spoke.  Do you he think this might have been a topic that he should have addressed to an audience of football alumni, many of whom are generious donors to the program?  Radio silence.  He isn't even going to try.

Epic Fail!

In many respects, Faison's tenure as AD has been worse than Kelly's presidency. The housecleaning must continue, with Faison, Jones and Idalski on the hot seat(s),

Epic Fail!

In many respects, Faison's tenure as AD has been worse than Kelly's presidency. The housecleaning must continue, with Faison, Jones and Idalski on the hot seat(s),

I am also fed up with Faison's "hunky-dory" attitude towards everything (he waited way too long to fire Mussman for instance). And please, no more lectures on how Faison is great because of the IPF and getting into the Big Sky Conference. This disastrous non-decision on FCOA has the potential to wipe out any good he has done during his 6 years in Grand Forks and is the last straw for me.

However, I maintain that the Buck stops in the Office of the President and that means who we hire to replace Kelley must have an understanding of the concept of athletics as being a vital component of any university campus in terms of marketing, exposure, positive press coverage, a source of alumni and community pride and support and so on. The new President's first order of business should be to call Faison into his office and wish him well on his future endeavors. Then after Faison has cleaned out his office, we can hire an AD that is on board with going all-in on athletics and not just being happy having the Division I label.

Edited by fightingsioux4life

In fairness to the people in Twamley Hall and Hyslop, our fanbase and the state of North Dakota has not allowed them to move on. They would have gladly done it 5 years ago. That argument has been brought up and labeled as fear mongering. 

Good point. However, that is one of the biggest problems with Kelley. He wants everyone to like him and you can't do that and be an effective President of a campus like UND.

The Grand Forks Heraldo's Editorial Board has weighed in on UND's epic fail with regard to FCOA.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/our-opinion/3827868-our-opinion-stop-waiting-start-moving-sports-scholarships

UND immediately should announce its intention to match North Dakota State University’s new scholarship and cost-of-attendance policy. Because there simply is no other way.

And Tom Dennis ends with what I have been harping on since this whole issue came up:

One of these years, we’d like to see UND lead the way on a bold new college-sports initiative, the way NDSU takes pride in doing. But right now, we’ll settle for UND quickly recognizing that the landscape has changed, and acting decisively so as not to fall permanently behind.

I find myself either loving or hating what Dennis writes in these editorials. This time, I am firmly in the former category. It is time for UND to either fish or cut bait with regard to the Division I experiment. The choices before us have never been more clear. 

Are you serious?  The Feds have enforced Title IX, not the NCAA.  The NCAA has wording that schools must have x and x number of male and female teams.  When Title IX has gone to court, it's not the NCAA that sues, but the Feds or women's groups.

MY op----

Who cares? You don't think the compliance office hasn't consulted the NCAA on this? Plus we are offering EVERONE FCOA. When you do that there are no title 9 issues. We are in compliance

Your response.

"You've been told umpteen times that the NCAA does not determine Title IX, but the feds do.  Dumb azz bizons."

Now your above post says the NCAA has wording? Would that be the compliance I was referring to? Who do you think schools call in regards to title 9 to make sure they are in compliance? The feds? IMO the feds only get involved if there is a question of anyone has broken that law. No where in any of my posts have I said that the NCAA sues now did I. No.

But to make sure I have an email sent to the NDSU compliance officer for clarification. I will post their reply regardless of the information sent.

Edited by bison73

When Faison ran the numbers and said they'd be doing FCOA for hockey do folks really believe they didn't finish the calculation across the entire department? 

When Faison said they'd be watching the rest of the Big Sky do folks really believe he didn't know what his number would be if Montana announced tomorrow? 

When Faison ran the numbers and said they'd be doing FCOA for hockey do folks really believe they didn't finish the calculation across the entire department? 

When Faison said they'd be watching the rest of the Big Sky do folks really believe he didn't know what his number would be if Montana announced tomorrow? 

Bottom line: If we don't do this for all sports, we might as well move back down to Division II and join the NSIC. It is as simple as that. This isn't going away and the longer we "stand pat", the worse it will be for our programs that don't involve skating on ice.

NDSU will be able to throw the FCOA commitment to recruits after the regular season is done for football, basketball, volleyball, etc. Just how many recruiting battles will Bubba, Jones and Brewster win when the other three Dakota schools are doing this and we aren't? I think we all know the answer to that question.

Kelley and Faison need to get on the horn with the UND Alumni Association and put together a professional, well thought-out fundraising drive to fund FCOA for all sports. The Champions Club has done great things for our programs and a new fundraising effort can do the same for FCOA.

Like I have said before, it is time to either fish or cut bait. I say we fish.

Unless I have missed something, only two FCS schools have announced that they are moving forward with FCOA, Liberty and NDSU, who just announced last week and won't take effect until 2016.  Yes, it was wake-up call, but I don't think there is cause for pants wetting just yet.  They likely have the numbers in front of them and are now figuring out where the money is going to come from.  Perhaps someone or multiple folks with some deep pockets are in touch with the athletic department with donations and perhaps cuts will need to be made.  The Athletic Department will figure it out and UND will offer FCOA.

Edited by GeauxSioux
  • Upvote 1

Unless I have missed something, only two FCS schools have announced that they are moving forward with FCOA, Liberty and NDSU, who just announced last week and won't take effect until 2016.  Yes, it was wake-up call, but I don't think there is cause for pants wetting just yet.  They likely have the numbers in front of them and are now figuring out where the money is going to come from.  Perhaps someone or multiple folks with some deep pockets are in touch with the athletic department with donations and perhaps cuts will need to be made.  The Athletic Department will figure it out and UND will offer FCOA.

Well, considering the lack of leadership from this administration on pretty much everything, I am not as optimistic as you. I just think a public commitment to funding FCOA would help get the attention of alumni who are interested in keeping UND at the forefront of athletic excellence.

Well, considering the lack of leadership from this administration on pretty much everything, I am not as optimistic as you. I just think a public commitment to funding FCOA would help get the attention of alumni who are interested in keeping UND at the forefront of athletic excellence.

When you are asking someone for large sums of money you don't do it by making a public statement. You ask those questions in person, in private. And normally those questions are asked after a period of prep time. That's why most large fundraising projects raise a majority of their funds before they make a public announcement. You fill in the remainder with smaller amounts from the public.

When you are asking someone for large sums of money you don't do it by making a public statement. You ask those questions in person, in private. And normally those questions are asked after a period of prep time. That's why most large fundraising projects raise a majority of their funds before they make a public announcement. You fill in the remainder with smaller amounts from the public.

So that means NDSU has been getting the commitments for this for awhile now. Which means UND is playing catch-up (again). I guess that is what I am sick and tired of, being one or two steps behind NDSU. If and when UND comes up with a plan to fund FCOA, I will give them all the props they deserve. Until then, I am in believe it when I see it mode.

This blatantly false. There have been ongoing discussions internally for months about the topic, how to proceed and how to fund it.

He's going to have to discuss this with a few more people than he can contact internally if he is going to get it done.   I, honestly, don't understand why he wouldn't speak to this issue when addressing the FB alumni if he had any plans of trying to fund it.  I guess I have little respect for a guy who will look you straight in the eye and tell you how committed he and the school are to the FB program and then neglect to even mention this.   

• Upvote 2

Is this a hot time for recruiting? I'm thinking the conversation on funding COA doesn't need to be done in the media or even to the general public right now. I'm pretty sure the conversation is happening with those who will eventually be asked to fund it and I'm thinking there will be an appeal to Champions Club Members when the time is right. I really don't see how being first is an advantage when eventually everyone is going to be at the table with the same offer - some people/organizations need to be first and that goes back to ego, insecurity, alumni pressure perhaps-  but at the end of the day so what? If your biggest beef is "another example of SU being first" you are focused on the wrong school. 

• Upvote 3