SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

I think we are looking at this all wrong.  NDSU doesn't have the money in hand and it has to come from somewhere.   Donors are only going to give so much, no matter what you do.   My guess is the bulk of this $700,000 comes from cuts in other areas.   What we really need to look at is what is the rest of the Sky doing?   The Montana schools said last spring they weren't going to do it and I think they meant it.   The Sky is our real competition and that's where we look.

We can't afford this for anything but hockey and neither can any other FCS school.   You hide and watch, in a couple years NDSU is going to back away from this because in the end they wind up getting the same players they would have gotten any way and they have to bleed other programs to come up with the cash.   

There is a reason why only 2 FCS schools have announced going with this in the 6 months since this was implemented.    It sounds good on the surface for cooler heads know nothing will be gained in the long run.   Mark my words, NDSU back peddles soon.   Do it for hockey and lets move on.

if they have a matching donor, they only need half that amount. I think they'll get it. 

Mention football advantage and the donors will probably do it. 

We can't afford this for anything but hockey and neither can any other FCS school.   You hide and watch, in a couple years NDSU is going to back away from this because in the end they wind up getting the same players they would have gotten any way and they have to bleed other programs to come up with the cash.   

There is a reason why only 2 FCS schools have announced going with this in the 6 months since this was implemented.    It sounds good on the surface for cooler heads know nothing will be gained in the long run.   Mark my words, NDSU back peddles soon.   Do it for hockey and lets move on.

I feel like I've heard this before. 

• Upvote 4

I think we are looking at this all wrong.  NDSU doesn't have the money in hand and it has to come from somewhere.   Donors are only going to give so much, no matter what you do.   My guess is the bulk of this $700,000 comes from cuts in other areas.   What we really need to look at is what is the rest of the Sky doing?   The Montana schools said last spring they weren't going to do it and I think they meant it.   The Sky is our real competition and that's where we look.

Ya, and that whole DI thing, that will never work either!   Nice take, welcome to the 21st century.

• Upvote 3

UND should only focus immediately on being able to offer COA for football, volleyball, mens and womens basketball, mens and womens hockey and which ever other women's sports to even out the Title 9 requirements.  Two reasons-

1. I think the baseball, tennis, golf, track and field coaches, etc. would rather have a few more scholarships for their programs.  Offering a few more kids is more important than paying more to the kids your offering.
  2. Saying your doing it for all sports is great for the fans only.  Your not going to lose a football or hockey player cause you are not doing this for tennis.  You can always add to the other sports as funds become available.  

I think this just proves that NDSU is headed towards the new second tier of FBS while UND is content to stay in what is more or less the third tier of collegiate athletics.  It gets really old watching this university screw the dog and tell us how hot she is for the last 10 years.  I feel like those running this university won't be content until UND has a 5,000 student enrollment and applying for the NSIC in every sport except for hockey.

You are not listening to SiouxVolley. UND is way ahead of the with NDSU in making a move up. Nobody wants NDSU. Sure, they may have had their last 3season openers on National TV. They may have had Gameday 2 years in a row and won 4 straight championships, but UND is really secretly light years ahead of NDSU in terms of moving up to FBS. 

You are not listening to SiouxVolley. UND is way ahead of the with NDSU in making a move up. Nobody wants NDSU. Sure, they may have had their last 3season openers on National TV. They may have had Gameday 2 years in a row and won 4 straight championships, but UND is really secretly light years ahead of NDSU in terms of moving up to FBS. 

none of that changes the fact that the ndac is an ag school whose campus looks like a penitentiary located in a town that is increasingly becoming a not so safe city to live in...und is making connections thru the big sky and the nchc with like minded ACADEMIC schools which in the future might take us to a different "tier" maybe

5.00 x 15,000 tickets = 75,000.00 x 6 games = 450,000.00 + 350,000.00 matching funds = $800,000.00. Which doesn't include other funding options. You do realize that they have a commitment for 1 million dollars over 3 years?

Edited by bison73

none of that changes the fact that the ndac is an ag school whose campus looks like a penitentiary located in a town that is increasingly becoming a not so safe city to live in...und is making connections thru the big sky and the nchc with like minded ACADEMIC schools which in the future might take us to a different "tier" maybe

I'll never defend the appearance of the campus of NDSU. I think it's ugly. Being a land grant is not a bad thing.  Lots of good "ag schools." A&M, OK St., Iowa St, Mich St, etc.  

Have fun with puck season because right now that's really about all you have left to enjoy unless football can start winning.

Edited by JohnboyND7

Buried underneath the FCOAS announcement is that NDSU will now offer the maximum allowed scholarships in baseball, men's golf, men's T&F, and men's x-country.  That means all their sports are fully funded with scholarships.  So they are adding more men's scholarships, but no women's, when the M/F ratio is stretched as it is.  Where Obama's justice department?

We are now at the MAX that the NCAA allows for both mens and womens sports.. You cant add where there are no more spots.

he is suggesting more female sports or a cut of men's programs.

Who cares? You don't think the compliance office hasn't consulted the NCAA on this? Plus we are offering EVERONE FCOA. When you do that there are no title 9 issues. We are in compliance

Who cares? You don't think the compliance office hasn't consulted the NCAA on this? Plus we are offering EVERONE FCOA. When you do that there are no title 9 issues. We are in compliance

You've been told umpteen times that the NCAA does not determine Title IX, but the feds do.  Dumb azz bizons.

I think Faison's silence today was pretty telling.  UND is not going to fund FCOA for any programs but men's and women's hockey.  The man is completely clueless.  

Can not believe I'm saying this but I think we agree on something. These were my exact thoughts as well. 

Tom Miller's take on the COA... http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/3827057-tom-miller-dont-let-history-repeat-itself

North Dakota State is out in front of a big NCAA issue.

The rest of the peer Dakota schools are left wondering what route they should take. Do they follow? Do they pass?

Just like when the Bison were leading the charge from NCAA Division II to Division I, NDSU announced Thursday the school would provide the full cost of attendance to all of its athletes. Although not completely surprising, the announcement still sent shockwaves throughout mid-major athletics. It was a trail-blazing move.

This time, UND shouldn’t let history repeat itself.

I have to agree with that last sentence.

And from Brad.. http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3826926-und-paying-hockey-players-remains-wait-and-see-mode-other-sports

Many of UND’s top rivals in men’s and women’s hockey also are instituting the payments. UND athletic director Brian Faison has long insisted he will make sure the hockey programs are able to offer perks similar to their rivals.

UND didn’t have to deal with that in other sports until Thursday, when rival North Dakota State announced it would institute payments in 2016-17 to all of its scholarship athletes in all sports.

Obviously, it’s something we knew that was potentially out there for everybody to at least take a look at,” Faison said. “Up to this point, there wasn’t much conversation among the Big Sky to take this one on. I suspect that might change now that NDSU is doing what they’re doing.”

Faison said UND is constantly monitoring the financial numbers to implement the full amended grant-in-aid across the board.

“Scholarships are always a priority for us,” he said. “As we move through this process, it will continue to be a priority.”

Oh, good grief; what a load of crap.  Larson was clear from the beginning that NDSU was going to do this.  Right after it came out, he was on Steve Halstrom's show and all but said they would.  I pointed that out on this board and was told I was a moron, and stupid and there is no way NDSU was going to do this.  All I did was point out what Larson said and if I knew, Faison should have damn well known.  It is his fault if the Big Sky was not discussing it, as isn't that his job?  Well, now those posters, and UND administration yet again have egg on their faces. 

• Upvote 1

Oh, good grief; what a load of crap.  Larson was clear from the beginning that NDSU was going to do this.  Right after it came out, he was on Steve Halstrom's show and all but said they would.  I pointed that out on this board and was told I was a moron, and stupid and there is no way NDSU was going to do this.  All I did was point out what Larson said and if I knew, Faison should have damn well known.  It is his fault if the Big Sky was not discussing it, as isn't that his job?  Well, now those posters, and UND administration yet again have egg on their faces. 

I would have hoped Faison would have called someone, anyone, to discuss this issue..............using the rotary dial phone on his desk of course.