SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

Since there are only two programs that have announced this, with one of them-Liberty-openly wanting to move to FBS, i wonder if any FCS conferences would set FCOA policies to prohibit or severely limit offering FCOA.  This wouldn't be unprecedented as we've seen conferences set their own scholarship limits.

We look at this from the UND perspective, but I can't imagine UNI is very excited at the prospect of competing in this arms race with ndsu.  It wouldn't shock me to see them get a coalition of MVFC schools that would like a vote to limit FCOA.

Again, I don't care how many FCS schools decide not to fully fund FCOA. I care if UND does it or not. And if we want to put together top-notch mid-major programs, we will need to do this. IMO, there is no choice in the matter.

Again, I don't care how many FCS schools decide not to fully fund FCOA. I care if UND does it or not. And if we want to put together top-notch mid-major programs, we will need to do this. IMO, there is no choice in the matter.

Oh, I'm with you don't get me wrong.  I'm just interested to see how forcefully some schools, if any, would push back.

Oh, I'm with you don't get me wrong.  I'm just interested to see how forcefully some schools, if any, would push back.

If the comment from the USD AD is correct and USD is going to follow suit, I don't see any serious potential of MVFC schools putting a coalition together to stop this.  If USD is going to do it, I suspect that at least half the MVFC will do it as well.  I have no idea if there will be a movement among FCS as a whole to stop it, but I doubt it.  If such a movement were viable, it probably would have already been started.

In the Big Sky, I can't imagine the Montana schools sitting idly by while MVFC schools start adding FCOA.  

If the comment from the USD AD is correct and USD is going to follow suit, I don't see any serious potential of MVFC schools putting a coalition together to stop this.  If USD is going to do it, I suspect that at least half the MVFC will do it as well.  I have no idea if there will be a movement among FCS as a whole to stop it, but I doubt it.  If such a movement were viable, it probably would have already been started.

In the Big Sky, I can't imagine the Montana schools sitting idly by while MVFC schools start adding FCOA.  

Smart timing by NDSU to announce this 2 days before they play on ESPN.  No doubt it will be brought up.  Will be interesting if anyone at ESPN goes out to ask the Montana AD what their plans are?  With Montana alum Brent Musburger calling the game, it would be interesting if he digs into to this!

Do they really need it? UND has the history, coaches, facilities to field a great hockey team, will money change that? Say UND pays X amount of dollars to every player while Miami doesn't and UND fails to win the NCHC or make the playoffs while Miami goes to the Frozen Four; you would have an uproar on campus. I think UND is already a leg up on the competition as far as hockey goes, but could use a "boost" in other sports like football, basketball and others. 

the short answer is - Yes we do need to do it. 

I heard they had donations for half the amount from big donors and are looking for a match amount to finish it off-hence the website.  Did he not say that at the presser?  

You are correct. The good thing is is they have a commitment for a million bucks to make this happen. Plus we have now added scholarships to the NCAA max for the rest of our sports.

The thing is the conferences cant stop schools from giving FCOA according to the NCAA directive.

""

And why can't there be a conference mandate to tell members to, say, not implement FCOA for its football programs?

"Our league, like many other conferences, has been advised by legal counsel against colluding as an organization, prohibiting our members from following approved NCAA legislation," he said.  "The decision whether or not to follow NCAA autonomous legislation is completely up to each Division I institution."

This puts FCS conferences in a pickle.

Though it's "permissive" on the per-school level, it's not being something optional at the conference level for consideration.  

Since the legislation is considered official NCAA legislation - permissive or not - attempting to prohibit a group's members from enacting "permissive" legislation appears something that FCS commissioners are not eager to challenge legally.

In other words, conferences are saying - schools, we can't stop you if we want to institute full cost of attendance.""

Edited by bison73

Does the school have to pay each player equally? The 3rd string center makes the same as the star RB.

It depends on the scholarship the played receives. If he on a full ride he gets full cost. If hes on a half ride he gets half. At least that's what I have taken from it.

Buried underneath the FCOAS announcement is that NDSU will now offer the maximum allowed scholarships in baseball, men's golf, men's T&F, and men's x-country.  That means all their sports are fully funded with scholarships.  So they are adding more men's scholarships, but no women's, when the M/F ratio is stretched as it is.  Where Obama's justice department?

• Upvote 2

Buried underneath the FCOAS announcement is that NDSU will now offer the maximum allowed scholarships in baseball, men's golf, men's T&F, and men's x-country.  That means all their sports are fully funded with scholarships.  So they are adding more men's scholarships, but no women's, when the M/F ratio is stretched as it is.  Where Obama's justice department?

probably saying, "and that gentlemen, is what we call efficiency."

Call me crazy, but I feel like I am the only one that is inerpretting this as an announcement to move NDSU football to FBS within 5 years.

Agree, NDSU is declaring that it is interested in FBS, but no FBS league is interested.    Liberty did the same thing, but the obese chicks can't get a conference date.  Liberty more because it's highly religious and wants to be courted.  NDSU is highly overweight but just a plain slut.

The CAA and Big Sky are waiting on the NCAA to change its FBS rules to allow conferences to move up en masse.  The Big Sky will offer NDSU though, as Fullerton has already effectively done that.

Edited by SiouxVolley

I think this just proves that NDSU is headed towards the new second tier of FBS while UND is content to stay in what is more or less the third tier of collegiate athletics.  It gets really old watching this university screw the dog and tell us how hot she is for the last 10 years.  I feel like those running this university won't be content until UND has a 5,000 student enrollment and applying for the NSIC in every sport except for hockey.

Edited by dlsiouxfan
  • Upvote 2

I think we are looking at this all wrong.  NDSU doesn't have the money in hand and it has to come from somewhere.   Donors are only going to give so much, no matter what you do.   My guess is the bulk of this $700,000 comes from cuts in other areas.   What we really need to look at is what is the rest of the Sky doing?   The Montana schools said last spring they weren't going to do it and I think they meant it.   The Sky is our real competition and that's where we look.

We can't afford this for anything but hockey and neither can any other FCS school.   You hide and watch, in a couple years NDSU is going to back away from this because in the end they wind up getting the same players they would have gotten any way and they have to bleed other programs to come up with the cash.   

There is a reason why only 2 FCS schools have announced going with this in the 6 months since this was implemented.    It sounds good on the surface for cooler heads know nothing will be gained in the long run.   Mark my words, NDSU back peddles soon.   Do it for hockey and lets move on.

• Upvote 2

Agree, NDSU is declaring that it is interested in FBS, but no FBS league is interested.    Liberty did the same thing, but the obese chicks can't get a conference date.  Liberty more because it's highly religious and wants to be courted.  NDSU is highly overweight but just a plain slut.

The CAA and Big Sky are waiting on the NCAA to change its FBS rules to allow conferences to move up en masse.  The Big Sky will offer NDSU though, as Fullerton has already effectively done that.

A few weeks ago I attended a bison golf outing with a friend who is a scholarship donator to NDSU. The head of the teammakers told us they would be announcing COA soon. I asked him about going FBS and he stated that it is their belief that NDSU belongs in the second tier, whatever it's called. In other words FCS currently or if the power 5 split the FBS then they would like to join the second group of FBS. He said the MVFC and the summit league will not be happy with them announcing full COA but they feel they need to keep up with the MAC schools because that's who they believe they compete against for athletes.