SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

...and now you're worried about the NCAA getting involved with Title IX issues at NDSU?  That's rich.  

Just remember, when FCOA is implemented NDSU will be giving male athletes about 20% more of the pot.

Actually over 22% more (or just about 1.6x the amount women will get!!). Men currently get 61.1% of scholarship funds, while women get 38.9%. But nothing to see here, NDSU "diligently monitors its students' interests so its athletic offerings can continue to meet its students' needs", just disregard that they include club, intramural and recreational sports in their "offerings". :lol:

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

NDSU "diligently monitors its students' interests so its athletic offerings can continue to meet its students' needs",

For those of you unsure or who haven't read it for yourself, that's a quote from the "caveat" placed under the NDSU Participation tab on the ope.ed.gov site by NDSU. 

The full quote says: "NDSU offers a wide variety of athletic opportunities for its students at the varsity, club, intramural and recreational levels. NDSU diligently monitors its students' interests so its athletic offerings can continue to meet its students' needs."

What was that phrase someone used here recently? Oh. Yes. ... "Weasel words." 

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

"Since they are going through an entire budget process, the FCOA will be part of that. UND is working through the process and will give more details through that process."

Im sure NDSU will as well. 

How much has UND raised for the FCOA?  Have we even heard a plan?  NDSU has raised at least 900,000 to be used over the next 3 years. And has a plan. More will be revealed later. Until then---have fun.:)

One more time for the slow learners. NDSU was supposed to submit some kind of plan to the state to approach the budget reductions. The only plan that NDSU submitted said that they were going to reduce operating expenses. In case you don't get it, the Governor already told them they had to do that, so they didn't submit any kind of actual plan to accomplish that goal.

Also, in case you didn't understand, the FCOA is part of the Athletic Department budget. That budget is part of the state budget being reduced. So UND submitted an initial plan to the state to cover a revised budget. NDSU did not submit a plan. See the difference? Add to that NDSU's track record in getting private donations to complete projects, or lack of same, and you will see why some of us don't have a lot of faith in NDSU. But you just go ahead and keep believing anything they tell you.

42 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

But you just go ahead and keep believing anything they tell you.

But there is a lot of things going on behind the scenes! Details are completely unnecessary even if you happen to be doing things like asking for more money, breaking previous agreements or updating your budget with the state. How can you not see that an explanation like this should be good enough? Haven't they suffered enough being expected to honor agreements they made and mandates passed down by the governor?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

One more time for the slow learners. NDSU was supposed to submit some kind of plan to the state to approach the budget reductions. The only plan that NDSU submitted said that they were going to reduce operating expenses. In case you don't get it, the Governor already told them they had to do that, so they didn't submit any kind of actual plan to accomplish that goal.

Also, in case you didn't understand, the FCOA is part of the Athletic Department budget. That budget is part of the state budget being reduced. So UND submitted an initial plan to the state to cover a revised budget. NDSU did not submit a plan. See the difference? Add to that NDSU's track record in getting private donations to complete projects, or lack of same, and you will see why some of us don't have a lot of faith in NDSU. But you just go ahead and keep believing anything they tell you.

Im going to pull one out of you guys play book---why do you care so much about what NDSU  is and supposedly not doing? You seem to be putting a lot of effort in to trying to dispell

everything NDSU?(out of your play book again)

The reason I believe them is because they have never lied to me. Pretty simple ever for you to understand. ( another slight one heres here many times)

1 hour ago, bison73 said:

Im going to pull one out of you guys play book---why do you care so much about what NDSU  is and supposedly not doing? You seem to be putting a lot of effort in to trying to dispell

everything NDSU?(out of your play book again)

The reason I believe them is because they have never lied to me. Pretty simple ever for you to understand. ( another slight one heres here many times)

If they gave you a degree indicating your level of education...they lied to you.

2 hours ago, bison73 said:

Im going to pull one out of you guys play book---why do you care so much about what NDSU  is and supposedly not doing?

Me---North Dakota resident, NDSU----North Dakota tax payer supported school. I care about the finances of NDSU like I care about the finances of the Secretary of State's office and every other part of North Dakota state government. Is that too complicated for you to comprehend? Does anything get through for you other than football?

7 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Me---North Dakota resident, NDSU----North Dakota tax payer supported school. I care about the finances of NDSU like I care about the finances of the Secretary of State's office and every other part of North Dakota state government. Is that too complicated for you to comprehend? Does anything get through for you other than football?

Bingo. Did you contact the school and question the amount of  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they spent on the nick name fiasco? Or are you just concerned about fiscal responsibility when it involves NDSU?

8 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

If they gave you a degree indicating your level of education...they lied to you.

Ouch. That is bad. Obviously I didnt proof read that one. LOL  I usually do as I dont type real well.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bison73 said:

Bingo. Did you contact the school and question the amount of  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ they spent on the nick name fiasco? Or are you just concerned about fiscal responsibility when it involves NDSU?

I am well aware of the money spent on the nickname. I have been in contact with the school multiple times throughout the process. I made my opinions known to different people in the administration. And I'm well aware that a lot of the problems were caused by Fargo representative Al Carlson and his minions forcing UND to keep the nickname for much longer than they should have, and then forcing the ridiculous "cooling off period". Yes, I contacted Legislators on the subject during the process. The nickname should have been changed after the settlement date from the Settlement Agreement. Wait, isn't Mr. Carlson an NDSU supporter just like yourself? Wow, what a surprise. And what does the UND nickname have to do with NDSU failing to provide any kind of budget plan? Of course, another attempt to deflect the conversation. Do they offer a course in deflecting difficult conversations for all NDSU students or only for sports fans?

1 hour ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

I am well aware of the money spent on the nickname. I have been in contact with the school multiple times throughout the process. I made my opinions known to different people in the administration. And I'm well aware that a lot of the problems were caused by Fargo representative Al Carlson and his minions forcing UND to keep the nickname for much longer than they should have, and then forcing the ridiculous "cooling off period". Yes, I contacted Legislators on the subject during the process. The nickname should have been changed after the settlement date from the Settlement Agreement. Wait, isn't Mr. Carlson an NDSU supporter just like yourself? Wow, what a surprise. And what does the UND nickname have to do with NDSU failing to provide any kind of budget plan? Of course, another attempt to deflect the conversation. Do they offer a course in deflecting difficult conversations for all NDSU students or only for sports fans?

Deflection? Not at all. You were espousing what a concerned taxpayer you were so I was just seeing if you were consistent .:lol:

FYI-we dont claim Carlson. Hes a jackwagon. Plus most Bison fans thought you guys had him in your hip pocket . Or the UND politicos did.

6 hours ago, bison73 said:

Deflection? Not at all. You were espousing what a concerned taxpayer you were so I was just seeing if you were consistent .:lol:

FYI-we dont claim Carlson. Hes a jackwagon. Plus most Bison fans thought you guys had him in your hip pocket . Or the UND politicos did.

I bet he has those be there Bison signs on his south Fargo lawn. He is more of a Bison supporter than a UND supporter. Whether you claim him or not he is all yours, just like Lakesbison.

20 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Typical.  The nickname fiasco was caused by NDSU, woe is me.   No responsibility, no accountability, someone else's fault.   Nice

• Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, Herd said:

Typical.  The nickname fiasco was caused by NDSU, woe is me.   No responsibility, no accountability, someone else's fault.   Nice

I believe what I said was that part of the problem, the extension of the problem, was thanks in large part to Al Carlson and his pals. And that Carlson is an NDSU supporter. You are the one that then came to the conclusion that it was NDSU's fault. You have a real problem with logic, which you exhibit on a regular basis with your posts. Maybe NDSU needs to teach logic classes. But thanks again for coming over to entertain us with your inane comments.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

still no word from faison on how to pay for coa?  

FCOA is part of the entire budget issue facing the state of North Dakota. The Athletic Department has to cut approximately $1 million out of the proposed budget for next year, and that budget includes the dollars for FCOA. You probably aren't going to hear a separate solution for paying for FCOA. You may hear where they are cutting dollars or where they are going to add new revenue that will equal the needed $1 million.

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

still no word from faison on how to pay for coa?  

Another Frozen Four appearance doesn't hurt.  Around 2005, each participant got $250,000 if the school was DI.  UND has missed out on those payments when it was DII or transitioning.  The payments may have increased by now.

Edit:  Tampa guarantees the NCAA $2.2.5 mill for the Frozen Four and the regional sites have to come up with at least $150 k.  After the NCAA's expenses, that most of that money goes to DI participants.

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Kolpack just wrote an article that USD is an FCS power now because they have FCOA.  Shouldn't that apply to us too?

Curious if he knows something we don't or is just throwing stuff against the wall again. This is the first I've heard that UND is doing it "in some fashion" and not across the board. In fact I've heard nothing except that UND was providing it for all scholarship athletes. But any chance you can get some sort of dig in, go for it I guess.

USD and NDSU offer cost of attendance for all of its scholarship football players. South Dakota State and the University of North Dakota have announced they're doing it in some fashion. 

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Curious if he knows something we don't or is just throwing stuff against the wall again. This is the first I've heard that UND is doing it "in some fashion" and not across the board. In fact I've heard nothing except that UND was providing it for all scholarship athletes. But any chance you can get some sort of dig in, go for it I guess.

If you remember it didnt start out that way. It was going to be only mens hockey and football? With the caveat that we will see what happens-developes on the fcs landscape.

12 minutes ago, bison73 said:

If you remember it didnt start out that way. It was going to be only mens hockey and football? With the caveat that we will see what happens-developes on the fcs landscape.

Trust me, I know exactly how it started. They offered it to men's and women's hockey the first year it was allowed (2015/16) as they were recruiting against P5 schools who were offering it. Then in the fall of 2015, UND announced (through a University press release) they were providing it across the board for all scholarship athletes starting in 2016/17. So unless Kolpack has something that shows UND changed course, his comment was both inaccurate and misleading.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Trust me, I know exactly how it started. They offered it to men's and women's hockey the first year it was allowed (2015/16) as they were recruiting against P5 schools who were offering it. Then in the fall of 2015, UND announced (through a University press release) they were providing it across the board for all scholarship athletes starting in 2016/17. So unless Kolpack has something that shows UND changed course, his comment was both inaccurate and misleading.

UND didnt offer it across the board until NDSU did. I think thats where the Kolpack dig comes in.