SiouxSports.com Forum

Cost of Attendance

GeauxSioux

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/07/20/ncaa-18-million-help-pay-cost--attendance-scholarships/30428777/

The NCAA will be making a new distribution of $18.9 million to Division I schools to help them pay for cost-of-attendance-based scholarships, additional food that can be made available to athletes or various academic projects, the association’s chief financial officer said Monday.

Each of the nearly 350 Division I schools will get an equal share of the money, meaning the schools will receive about $55,000 apiece, Kathleen McNeely said during a session at the National Association of College and University Business Officers’ annual meeting.

• 1 month later...

I see on the UND Sports Tweets that NDSU is all in on the FCOA.  That it going to put a lot of pressure on the area schools to match, including UND.  Last I heard UND was providing it for men's hockey and an equal number on the women's side in unnamed sports.

Edited by GeauxSioux

This will be interesting to see what the response is from UND, USD, SDSU, but also the Montanas.  If only a 3rd of FCS schools follow suit, does that mean the other 2/3 take their ball and go elsewhere?  Do the FCS schools that choose to match NDSU in this, are they more competing against the MAC schools etc?  New division?  Lots of questions.

UND absolutely needs to match whatever NDSU is providing for FCOA.  I think we can all agree on that.  But will this athletic department finally step up and support other sports, especially football, they way they deserve to be treated and not just second string to hockey.  I have to think NDSU and ND's athletic budgets are pretty similar.  I guess we will wait and see at 10:00am to see what UND's next move will be.

• Upvote 2

It'll be interesting to see if UND takes a "wait and see" approach, like they did with the move to DI.  The decision to "wait and see" on DI put the athletic department back more than a decade.  We still have not dug out of that short sighted decision.  It is absolutely critical that UND match this right away.  Like the move to DI, I view this as inevitable.  UND would be much better served to get out in front of it and use it as an advantage, rather than wait 4 or 5 years and then try to catch up again.

One thing to take into account is that in NDSU's favor is their smaller offering of sports, particularly on the women's side.  If my counting is accurate and all sports were fully funded at both schools (they currently are not), NDSU would offer approximately 191.7 scholarships compared to UND's 254.2.  UND's offerings are more in line with peer and regional schools, even excluding hockey, but at some point, a uncomfortable conversation may have to take place.

One thing to remember that in NDSU's favor is their smaller offering of sports, particularly on the women's side.  If my counting is accurate and all sports were fully funded at both schools (they currently are not), NDSU would offer approximately 191.7 scholarships compared to UND's 254.2.  UND's offerings are more in line with peer and regional schools, even excluding hockey, but at some point, a uncomfortable conversation may have to take place.

I would say that NDSU's sports offerings have been streamlined for DI, while some of UND's offerings are legacy DII sports that are along for the ride.  NDSU has been planning and preparing for this day, and UND was probably hoping NDSU didn't go down this road.   Will UND maintain its hockey first approach, and turn its eye west to do what other Big Sky programs are doing and not worry about NDSU?  Or is UND willing to cull some sports and roll up its sleeve for FCOA?   Get your popcorn ready.

UND absolutely needs to match whatever NDSU is providing for FCOA.  I think we can all agree on that.  But will this athletic department finally step up and support other sports, especially football, they way they deserve to be treated and not just second string to hockey.  I have to think NDSU and ND's athletic budgets are pretty similar.  I guess we will wait and see at 10:00am to see what UND's next move will be.

The following quote from the article in today's Grand Forks Herald clearly illustrates why NDSU is winning titles and getting all kinds of national exposure, while UND wallows in the quicksand of mediocrity and openly talks about budget cuts.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/3826138-ndsu-pay-cost-attendance-all-scholarship-athletes

Why? Because Larsen said the time demands are different than they were a decade or two ago.

“Could a student probably get a job? Yeah, they probably could but not if we want to be successful with all the things we make them do,” Larsen said. “And that is to be special athletes and do great in school and all those things. This certainly alleviates a lot of that.”

This is the attitude and mentality of a school and athletic department that understands what it takes to be successful on a championship level and has the leadership and guts to make it happen. The decision has been made and the alumni are already stepping up to meet the challenge:

Larsen, starting his second year at NDSU, said the athletic department has already received “significant” donations to pay for it. Asked if he’s confident the remaining funds will be raised, he said, “one of the things I’ve said since day one is you never underestimate our fan base and the people who support the program.”

I believe the bolded statement above to be true of UND's alumni base as well. But we are missing one important ingredient: LEADERSHIP. The first comments from Faison about FCOA focused on protecting Men's Hockey and possible budget cuts in the future. It would be nice if Faison would make the kind of bold statement that Larsen has made at NDSU, but with a lame-duck and toothless President who is counting the days until he can retire, don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

Here are the e-mail addresses to Kelley and Faison:

robert.kelley@und.edu;BRIAN.FAISON@und.edu

It is time to get off our collective arses and do what it takes to turn UND into the premier mid-major athletic program in the entire NCAA. That means going all-out on FCOA. Our alumni can and will step up to make it happen. Otherwise, we might as well go non-scholarship in all non-hockey sports or move back down to Division II in all non-hockey sports.

This will be interesting to see what the response is from UND, USD, SDSU, but also the Montanas.  If only a 3rd of FCS schools follow suit, does that mean the other 2/3 take their ball and go elsewhere?  Do the FCS schools that choose to match NDSU in this, are they more competing against the MAC schools etc?  New division?  Lots of questions.

With SDSU building their IPF and the renovations to their stadium, you have to wonder their appetite to follow suit on this.  I expect they will.  USD I'm not so sure on, and I would wonder if they would offer in basketball to keep up there but not in football.  

As hard as it was to recruit against NDSU, it has now become even more difficult if you don't follow suit.

The following quote from the article in today's Grand Forks Herald clearly illustrates why NDSU is winning titles and getting all kinds of national exposure, while UND wallows in the quicksand of mediocrity and openly talks about budget cuts.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/local-sports/3826138-ndsu-pay-cost-attendance-all-scholarship-athletes

This is the attitude and mentality of a school and athletic department that understands what it takes to be successful on a championship level and has the leadership and guts to make it happen. The decision has been made and the alumni are already stepping up to meet the challenge:

I believe the bolded statement above to be true of UND's alumni base as well. But we are missing one important ingredient: LEADERSHIP. The first comments from Faison about FCOA focused on protecting Men's Hockey and possible budget cuts in the future. It would be nice if Faison would make the kind of bold statement that Larsen has made at NDSU, but with a lame-duck and toothless President who is counting the days until he can retire, don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

It is time to get off our collective arses and do what it takes to turn UND into the premier mid-major athletic program in the entire NCAA. That means going all-out on FCOA. Our alumni can and will step up to make it happen. Otherwise, we might as well go non-scholarship in all non-hockey sports or move back down to Division II in all non-hockey sports.

Make sure you are already donating to Champions Club if you are sending an e-mail.  

All great stuff for NDSU but let's give Faison some time to make sure the money is there.  The reason Faison came out saying hockey will be definitely receiving FCOA is because the schools UND competes against in that sport have said they would as well.  As of 24 hours ago, only one school in FCS has said they would do FCOA across the board.

I get that people love to bash Faison but he's also responsible for getting us into the best hockey conference in the country, a member in nearly all sports in the big sky, building an amazing IPF, and bringing in top quality coaches after making the tough decision to let a certain number of underperforming coaches go.

Edited by southpaw
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Isn't UNDs "FCOA"  nearly double that of NDSU? 

Meaning UND could offer a star recruit $6,000 and NDSU could only offer $3,000?

"so what is the bigger draw"? 

This was my thought when I read the earlier comment.  Careful what you wish for.

All great stuff for NDSU but let's give Faison some time to make sure the money is there.  The reason Faison came out saying hockey will be definitely receiving FCOA is because the schools UND competes against in that sport have said they would as well.  As of 24 hours ago, only one school in FCS has said they would do FCOA across the board.

I get that people love to bash Faison but he's also responsible for getting us into the best hockey conference in the country, a member in nearly all sports in the big sky, building an amazing IPF, and bringing in top quality coaches after making the tough decision to let a certain number of underperforming coaches go.

More alibis and excuses. Do you REALLY think we can't raise the money for this? Cripes, the Alumni Association raised over $300 million to establish an endowment. If they can do that, then they sure as heck can do this. But it all starts at the top and that has to start with the President and then the Athletic Director. NDSU has that leadership and we do not. Period. End of story. All the positive things you pointed out will be cancelled out if we don't rise to the occasion on FCOA.

For once, JUST ONCE, I would like this institution to be ahead of the curve instead of always playing catch-up and second-fiddle to the freaking Bison. But I suppose the Vikings have a better chance if winning the Super Bowl this year.

And I don't care what other schools do on this. I care about what UND does on this. And I would like to be a trend-setter in collegiate athletics for once. But I suppose that won't happen until we get a new President in office. And I really hope that person understands what athletics can do for a university, because I don't think Kelley gets it.

• Upvote 1

More alibis and excuses. Do you REALLY think we can't raise the money for this? Cripes, the Alumni Association raised over $300 million to establish an endowment. If they can do that, then they sure as heck can do this. But it all starts at the top and that has to start with the President and then the Athletic Director. NDSU has that leadership and we do not. Period. End of story. All the positive things you pointed out will be cancelled out if we don't rise to the occasion on FCOA.

For once, JUST ONCE, I would like this institution to be ahead of the curve instead of always playing catch-up and second-fiddle to the freaking Bison. But I suppose the Vikings have a better chance if winning the Super Bowl this year.

And I don't care what other schools do on this. I care about what UND does on this. And I would like to be a trend-setter in collegiate athletics for once. But I suppose that won't happen until we get a new President in office. And I really hope that person understands what athletics can do for a university, because I don't think Kelley gets it.

You forgot a paragraph about everyone on here either donating to Champions Club or raising their gift to Champions Club.  

There are other creative ideas out there too that would help.

• Upvote 1

You forgot a paragraph about everyone on here either donating to Champions Club or raising their gift to Champions Club.  

There are other creative ideas out there too that would help.

I think funding something like this will require a permanent fund-raising campaign similar to what the Champions Club does for scholarships now. FCOA will soon become a fact of life in collegiate athletics across the board. The schools that adapt and adjust will be successful in the new order. The schools that "wait and see" and play "follow the leader" will sink into permanent mediocrity. That is the cold, hard truth.

Isn't UNDs "FCOA"  nearly double that of NDSU? 

Meaning UND could offer a star recruit $6,000 and NDSU could only offer $3,000?

"so what is the bigger draw"? 

Maybe it is time to consider trimming some sports to make the other programs stronger? I am all for that, despite how many baseball alums will complain about their sport being cut.

• Upvote 1