SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Volleyball Season

Dustin

Maybe the passing is not as efficient or the setting is not as precise so the opponent has more options in their attack.  Maybe the serve game is off a little also creating more options.  Maybe the block combinations have not completely gelled yet and are leaving too many openings.  The raw stats don't really speak to the nuances and not being on the coaching staff, I am not seeing exactly what the coaches are seeing.  Maybe it is time to start a "Fire Pryor" thread (that comment was totally sarcastic and I apologize for that, but will still leave it out there).

A back row player can attack, so it can help attack and kill stats.

But Dooley's role hasn't changed from last year's to this one.  How come her and the teams blocking is down.  You and other posters refuse to answer it.

Ok, let's take this one at this time. I haven't looked at any stats, talked to the coaches, or even payed that much attention to the lineups (which he is still playing with), so I'm just throwing out things to think about.

I suspect Dooley isn't in the back row because the gains from having someone else pass are way bigger than the gain from having her hit in the back row. If the team doesn't get a pass is likely doesn't matter who's hitting.  Yes, she can probably hit a nice D or out of the pipe, but I suspect the team is better off overall by having someone else pass/dig. Middles also jump ALOT in the front row, so the extra reps in the back row could take their toll over the course of a long match.

Blocking is so much more than height. Yes, that helps, but mostly only if teams are hitting over the block. I have no idea what the answer is, but there are a lot of moving pieces to figure out. Serving tough helps out blocking; teams out-of-system are predictable, and tend to have higher sets giving the block more time to get set. A good pass means the middles have less time to get into position, meaning less blocks. Ever been close enough to hear players yell "Hole"? They're referring to the middle that hasn't yet closed the block. When UND's middle has to stay home in case their middle gets set, it causes problems for her to get outside. Maybe serving is down, or other teams are just passing better.

For the younger players the game is fast. Learning to get into the right position, and then read the hitter is challenging. Getting their hands into the right position and then getting the right timing, given that everyone hits high, can be challenging. There are quite a few new players that I'm sure are still adjusting to the speed of the college game. The coaches will help get them there. The middle and the outsides (left and/or right) have to work together for both to get the block assist numbers. This can contribute to lower numbers for a middle. 

Another thing to remember is blocks aren't everything. The blockers, in addition to blocking the ball, also contribute to digs and the other teams' hitting errors. In basketball the best shot blockers average less than 2 block a game. That's nothing. It's the influenced shots that don't end up in stats that make a shot blocker great. I suspect our middles influence a lot of attempts, even if the balls are not blocked. There are also controlled blocks, where the blockers team is getting free balls, or at least an easier ball to dig. Things like that don't end up in (public) stats, but are important to a team. If balls are going between players, or between the hands of the blocker, then it's something the coaches need to address, otherwise the block is likely doing it's job.

I'm sure there are l lot of things that the coaches are addressing, and blocking is critical, but I suspect that' just one of the many areas where Prior is looking for immediate improvement.

Edited by undVBfan
  • Upvote 1

Ok, let's take this one at this time. I haven't looked at any stats, talked to the coaches, or even payed that much attention to the lineups (which he is still playing with), so I'm just throwing out things to think about.

I suspect Dooley isn't in the back row because the gains from having someone else pass are way bigger than the gain from having her hit in the back row. If the team doesn't get a pass is likely doesn't matter who's hitting.  Yes, she can probably hit a nice D or out of the pipe, but I suspect the team is better off overall by having someone else pass/dig. Middles also jump ALOT in the front row, so the extra reps in the back row could take their toll over the course of a long match.

Blocking is so much more than height. Yes, that helps, but mostly only if teams are hitting over the block. I have no idea what the answer is, but there are a lot of moving pieces to figure out. Serving tough helps out blocking; teams out-of-system are predictable, and tend to have higher sets giving the block more time to get set. A good pass means the middles have less time to get into position, meaning less blocks. Ever been close enough to hear players yell "Hole"? They're referring to the middle that hasn't yet closed the block. When UND's middle has to stay home in case their middle gets set, it causes problems for her to get outside. Maybe serving is down, or other teams are just passing better.

For the younger players the game is fast. Learning to get into the right position, and then read the hitter is challenging. Getting their hands into the right position and then getting the right timing, given that everyone hits high, can be challenging. There are quite a few new players that I'm sure are still adjusting to the speed of the college game. The coaches will help get them there. The outsides (left and right) have to work together for both to get the block assist numbers. This can contribute to lower numbers for a middle. 

Another thing to remember is blocks aren't everything. The blockers, in addition to blocking the ball, also contribute to digs and the other teams' hitting errors. In basketball the best shot blockers average less than 2 block a game. That's nothing. It's the influenced shots that don't end up in stats that make a shot blocker great. I suspect our middles influence a lot of attempts, even if the balls are not blocked. There are also controlled blocks, where the blockers team is getting free balls, or at least an easier ball to dig. Things like that don't end up in (public) stats, but are important to a team. If balls are going between players, or between the hands of the blocker, then it's something the coaches need to address, otherwise the block is likely doing it's job.

I'm sure there are l lot of things that the coaches are addressing, and blocking is critical, but I suspect that' just one of the many areas where Prior is looking for immediate improvement.

ThanKS for your replies.  Wasn't trying to be difficult as there are a lot of permutations in play and style.  The team doesn't look as crisp as last year, but they are more talented.  Beat NDSU Tuesday night!

ThanKS for your replies.  Wasn't trying to be difficult as there are a lot of permutations in play and style.  The team doesn't look as crisp as last year, but they are more talented.  Beat NDSU Tuesday night!

No worries, I never thought you we're trying to be difficult, I just thought you wanted to hear others ideas of why or why not things work as they do. I've learned a lot from different forums over the years. I've also heard a lot of crap, so be careful. :D

When you go to the Eversports Big Sky page it defaults to the upcoming games tab. So once a broadcast starts you don't see it listed. Click on the calendar tab at the top left and it brings up all of the current day's games. You will see games currently being played under that tab. 

When you go to the Eversports Big Sky page it defaults to the upcoming games tab. So once a broadcast starts you don't see it listed. Click on the calendar tab at the top left and it brings up all of the current day's games. You will see games currently being played under that tab. 

wow.  I luckily got on right before it started.  Not sure I could have managed through all that.

Idaho St is up to #51 and N Ariz is #58 by Massey.  Sac St is also good in the south, as they are #80.  Good for the conference, as a team breaking into the 40's might gain an at-large bid.

UND was at #113 before this match, while NDSU was at #116.  E Wash is at #118, which is the team to watch in the Big Sky North.

Also have a question: is Dooley kind of tentative at the net when she is going to spike it?  I watched about half the match yesterday, off and on, and she seems to let up at the point of contact.  Appeared that Pryor was really yelling at her too to be aggressive or something along those lines.  

Also have a question: is Dooley kind of tentative at the net when she is going to spike it?  I watched about half the match yesterday, off and on, and she seems to let up at the point of contact.  Appeared that Pryor was really yelling at her too to be aggressive or something along those lines.  

I agree, I wonder if she and Sidney are not quite on the same page, yet, and the timing is a little off. Sidney is really just in her first year and replaced an all conference level four year starter.

I agree, I wonder if she and Sidney are not quite on the same page, yet, and the timing is a little off. Sidney is really just in her first year and replaced an all conference level four year starter.

Sidney is really really good!

PSU sweeps UND in Portland tonight.  Lots of hitting and service errors by UND.  Also, is there a worse team in the conference at handling the ball at the net when it goes below the net. We just look so spastic when we have to try to dig it up at the net and knock it over.  And while I'm at it, Dooley seems to have lost a bit of power on her spikes compared to last year. Julia and Chelsea seem to possess more power this year. Finally, we've been a little tip crazy of late and PSU figured that out. We went to that well a few too many times tonight and PSU was there to dig 'em up seemingly every time. 

I'm done.

Good night!  :)

PSU sweeps UND in Portland tonight.  Lots of hitting and service errors by UND.  Also, is there a worse team in the conference at handling the ball at the net when it goes below the net. We just look so spastic when we have to try to dig it up at the net and knock it over.  And while I'm at it, Dooley seems to have lost a bit of power on her spikes compared to last year. Julia and Chelsea seem to possess more power this year. Finally, we've been a little tip crazy of late and PSU figured that out. We went to that well a few too many times tonight and PSU was there to dig 'em up seemingly every time. 

I'm done.

Good night!  :)

I'm not sure Dooley has gone into tip mode on purpose. I think it's a timing issue and she's just not finding the ball in her wheelhouse. I've seen left-handed tips that fell this year, which is both a height and location issue. I'm not at practice, so I don't know how it's suppose to work with them, but the connection is not there like it should be. I don't know if the sets are off or the hitter is off, or a combination of both. The two middles are very different, so the setter has to instinctively deal with that. And given the timing required for middles to be successful, that's not easy for the setter.  I think Moser likes a slightly higher ball (relative to her height and jump), which helps a little with timing issues. I also think she is the M2 (one more rotation with 3 hitters in the front row), so she gets a little less attention, and is more likely to hit the slide, so it should be a little easier for her to adjust to the set if needed. 

If I see this, assuming I'm right :), coach sees it as well. I know they're working on it.  

I'm not sure Dooley has gone into tip mode on purpose. I think it's a timing issue and she's just not finding the ball in her wheelhouse. I've seen left-handed tips that fell this year, which is both a height and location issue. I'm not at practice, so I don't know how it's suppose to work with them, but the connection is not there like it should be. I don't know if the sets are off or the hitter is off, or a combination of both. The two middles are very different, so the setter has to instinctively deal with that. And given the timing required for middles to be successful, that's not easy for the setter.  I think Moser likes a slightly higher ball (relative to her height and jump), which helps a little with timing issues. I also think she is the M2 (one more rotation with 3 hitters in the front row), so she gets a little less attention, and is more likely to hit the slide, so it should be a little easier for her to adjust to the set if needed. 

If I see this, assuming I'm right :), coach sees it as well. I know they're working on it.  

The effort seemed lackluster last night, as travel and the let down from the big crowd and rivalry match took its toll.

Stokke commented in Tuesdays game that UND sets low to give the opposition less time to set up, as UND also wants to be pushing the tempo.  NDSU had very high sets in comparison.  It might take a season to get their timing down and for Griffin to get the ideal set height for each person.