SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Volleyball Season

Dustin

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, and another thing, I want to praise the coaches on leading the race and bringing recruits in early.  Apparently, on Tuesday, they had a recruit in from West Fargo (!Sheyenne High).  Kalli Hegerle is a 5'11" or 6' all state (as a freshman) setter and hitter.  Class of 2018.  I hear she is being recruited as a setter here.

This keeps with Coach Pryors commitment to "go big". Sure would be nice to steal another player of this caliber from NDSU's backyard!  Love it! Way to go coach!

Oh, and another thing, I want to praise the coaches on leading the race and bringing recruits in early.  Apparently, on Tuesday, they had a recruit in from West Fargo (!Sheyenne High).  Kalli Hegerle is a 5'11" or 6' all state (as a freshman) setter and hitter.  Class of 2018.  I hear she is being recruited as a setter here.

This keeps with Coach Pryors commitment to "go big". Sure would be nice to steal another player of this caliber from NDSU's backyard!  Love it! Way to go coach!

She was a little raw last year, but she was also probably 14 years old. She looks to have a huge upside, and one of the few I've seen that takes a legitimate next-level approach when attacking the ball. She seems to have a high volleyball IQ, which is often under-appreciated. Her dad and uncle played pro beach for a while and were two of the best adult players in the area for a long time.

It might be a challenge to get her to UND. Her uncle is coach at Jamestown, which shouldn't be a big problem (UJ vs UND). However, I seem to recall her dad was a DB/LB at NDSU during their D2 glory years of the late 80's or early 90's. I'm not sure how strong the ties are to NDSU.

Edited by undVBfan

• 2 weeks later...

I got to Betty a little late. Sophomore setter Sydney Griffin is on the bench, as is another girl who I can't figure out. Freshman Sidney Mattson is setting for one team, and assistant coach Mia Tabberson is setting for the other. Courtney Place and Amanda Harmett have some power. 

According to a parent that i was sitting by, it's her back. I have no further information. Scrimmage just ended. From what I can tell, it was A squad vs. B squad. A squad won all three sets. 

Edited by Dustin

fraase looked all right - she was on the B squad. Like I mentioned in my first post, Place and Harnett are most impressive. Both of them were playing on the A squad. The other A squad players were Moser, Dooley, Julia K, Hart, Clarke, and Mattson was setting. 

According to a parent that i was sitting by, it's her back. I have further information. Scrimmage just ended. From what I can tell, it was A squad vs. B squad. A squad won all three sets. 

hope its percautionary and not very serious.  Good to know Mattson can step in when needed.

How was the crowd?  How are students informed when a scrimmage like this is scheduled?  Many students there?

Less than 100 people, maybe about 50 people when you exclude AD support staff.   There were some students, former volleyballers: Nikki Husfeldt, Jessica Fontes, Felcia Ulrich and Emily Thompson.  A number of football players were in attendance, too, including Ratelle, Disterhaupt, Harmeston, Bell, Cox, Nevermann and William James.

As for the scrimmage, I was really impressed with the power of newcomers Place and Harnett and the creativity of Fraase to keep the opposition off guard as to when she might spike and when she might just tip it over and let it drop for an easy point.  Harnett has some hops for only 5-9; she can get up over the ball and put it down with authority. The blocking tandem of Dooley and Kaczarowska looked quite formidable yesterday night. I can't wait to see what we look like when all the firepower is on the same side!

Edited by Teeder11