SiouxSports.com Forum

Fishing

darell1976

I have been trying different lakes in ND (I don't have a MN license) that is kid friendly (fishing pier) and has good fishing, just wondering what lakes people go to that is good for those with kids (my youngest is 5 1/2) and have no boat. I live in Fargo and I have tried Brewer Lake by Erie, Mooreton Pond by Wahpeton, Dead Colt Creek by Lisbon, Lake Elsie by Hankinson, and West Lake at Napoleon while visiting Beaver Lake State Park. Most places are within a couple hours of my home so it's a nice family getaway.

Have you tried the ponds right in Fargo? Seem to be a good spot for kids, plenty of small panfish willing to hit a worm under a bobber.

Lake Ashtabula has a few fishing piers and plenty of bullheads to keep kids occupied for hours. An occasional perch or 2, some white bass and smallies and maybe even a walleye or pike too.

Have you tried the ponds right in Fargo? Seem to be a good spot for kids, plenty of small panfish willing to hit a worm under a bobber.

Lake Ashtabula has a few fishing piers and plenty of bullheads to keep kids occupied for hours. An occasional perch or 2, some white bass and smallies and maybe even a walleye or pike too.

I haven't tried either places, I am still learning about the fishing areas around here. Growing up I fished Devils Lake, Golden Lake and Lake Sakakawea. But finding out the smaller lakes have some good fishing. Thanks for the info!!

Have you tried the Red River? It is an amazing fisheries, and it is right in our back yards...

There is no piers but many cleared out areas on the shore to fish from. Get by a goldeye hole and you would entertain a kid for hours. Great Walleye if you want to eat the fish (little harder to catch but are in there), and nothing like wrestling a cat! I don't know the Fargo area very well but I could point you into the right direction in GF/EGF area...

Wait till you catch a mud puppy!!!

• 4 years later...

Spiritwood Lake is 15 miles NE of Jamestown and has a fish pier, campground (one for trailers, one for primitive camping) and a resort with bar/restaurant.

Pier fishing spot by boat ramp on SE corner is in an excellent location for catching the many smallmouth there. Across the lake is shore fish spot where previous Game and Fish hatchery was (north side).

Also the lake has northern, walleye and some perch.

14 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Any piers in GF Like that? Would love somewhere to go for an hour or so after work and just cast away.

Ryan Pond near King's Walk is I think stocked in the summer, but is catch and release. 

Otherwise, Red River Recreational Area in East Grand Forks and maybe some sections along the greenway

12 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Awesome. I will test this out this week. Looks like my kind of place. Thank you.

Would this be near Riverside Park?

Yup.  There is a road that you can take to get there.  You can't access from inside Riverside Park...at least not without a lengthy walk.  You'd have to take Mill Road and then I'm not sure where you turn?  Maybe Red Dot rd?  Maybe someone else can help with the directions.

I'm not much of a fisherman and have never fished there.  I spend alot of time running/biking on the greenway and just see lots of people fishing that area.  

3 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

Yup.  There is a road that you can take to get there.  You can't access from inside Riverside Park...at least not without a lengthy walk.  You'd have to take Mill Road and then I'm not sure where you turn?  Maybe Red Dot rd?  Maybe someone else can help with the directions.

I'm not much of a fisherman and have never fished there.  I spend alot of time running/biking on the greenway and just see lots of people fishing that area.  

Well hey I appreciate it regardless!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

If you want to get away from GF go to Devils Lakes There is a lot of shore fishing there. Literally  miles and miles of it. There is also a shore fishing report which will tell you where they are biting.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:52 AM, FlinFlan80 said:

It’s pretty snaggy so bring lots of jigs. Jig and minnows or plastics will catch a variety of fish. Pop it off the bottom. I have fished above the dam for cats and caught my personal best twenty pounder

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

It’s pretty snaggy so bring lots of jigs. Jig and minnows or plastics will catch a variety of fish. Pop it off the bottom. I have fished above the dam for cats and caught my personal best twenty pounder

I went last week and it was still really high, I would assume by the end of the week it will be easier to fish. I tried the South End by Adams Farm and there were a couple people fishing it, so maybe that is a spot to go back to as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 3:32 PM, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah fishing it under flood conditions is tough. If you want to catch a bunch of walleyes make the drive to the coulees by devils lake. Some of the best fishing this time of year.

Devils Lake:
At bridges of Channel A and Mauvais Coulee are doing pretty good right now.