SiouxSports.com Forum

Moo U Dumpster Fire Thread

geaux_sioux

Meh I don't know just saying every time I have been to GF it smelles horribly. I also thought the city was boring and it would have been another hour further from pheasant hunting and fishing. I also liked the professors at NDSU better. They were more approachable and seemed excited to teach as opposed to excited to write a paper to be published. Also at that time, I felt there was more of an energy at NDSU and the move to D1 really was a part of it. The men's bball team was successful and coming off season that included knocking off #13 Wisconsin and the football team was coming off a 10-1 season where they knocked off FBS Ball State and nearly upset Minnesota.

All in all I don't hate UND. I thought the campus was nice and they provide a good education.

You knew all that about the UND professors before even setting foot on campus.  Amazing.

I'm not going to read this thread because even comparing common opponents doesn't do anything in football.  Strengths/Weaknesses of each team are different and a few bounces of a ball can make a huge difference.

Just my $.02:

This is the type of game that if played 100 times, NDSU would probably win 85-90 times. 

The perceived strengths/weaknesses of the teams match very closely, and could make this game closer than expected. 

NDSU likes to pound the ball and wear teams out.  The UND front-7 on defense is anticipated to be the biggest strength of the team.  If NDSU can get it's passing game going or some of that "NIU" quirky offense stuff going, I don't see UND having much of a chance.  If they can't, and NDSU must run the ball, that plays into the strengths of UND.

UND is going to attempt to run the ball.  I say "attempt" with as much respect to the players as possible, but realistically I know they won't be amazing at it.  With NDSU losing as many 3-4 year starters or significant players as it did at LB/S/DE, UND may be able to play some "3 yards and a cloud of dust" football to kill the clock and let the D rest.  If UND can accomplish this, and the D can do what I said above, this game could remain close, with anything happening at the end.

I know there is this idea of "let's see them play first," but from my experience, a week 1 team is not the same team midway through the season. 

Assuming no injuries and both teams having the perceived strengths/weaknesses as above, my prediction is something more like 20-13, NDSU.  I think UND can give NDSU more problems than NDSU fans think, but it would take some amazing execution and luck by the UND offense to pull this one out. 

NDSU is a decent fall back. I had them as a safety school as well.

Lol ya...for being a safety school, if that is what you want to call it, I was pretty well prepared for my career and feel like my education was as good as that of which my peers received.

When you can't debate football in a football thread, you guys usually throw out something hockey or your Ivy League education. If somehow you think your UND degree hold more merit in this world than my NDSU degree, you are even more delusional than Bison fans who think they can beat Alabama.

Lol ya...for being a safety school, if that is what you want to call it, I was pretty well prepared for my career and feel like my education was as good as that of which my peers received.

When you can't debate football in a football thread, you guys usually throw out something hockey or your Ivy League education. If somehow you think your UND degree hold more merit in this world than my NDSU degree, you are even more delusional than Bison fans who think they can beat Alabama.

Kind of like how you insult the smell of Grand Forks, huh? Get a new hobby, bud.

Settle down Jan.
  • Upvote 1

I'm not going to read this thread because even comparing common opponents doesn't do anything in football. Strengths/Weaknesses of each team are different and a few bounces of a ball can make a huge difference.

Just my $.02:

This is the type of game that if played 100 times, NDSU would probably win 85-90 times.

The perceived strengths/weaknesses of the teams match very closely, and could make this game closer than expected.

NDSU likes to pound the ball and wear teams out. The UND front-7 on defense is anticipated to be the biggest strength of the team. If NDSU can get it's passing game going or some of that "NIU" quirky offense stuff going, I don't see UND having much of a chance. If they can't, and NDSU must run the ball, that plays into the strengths of UND.

UND is going to attempt to run the ball. I say "attempt" with as much respect to the players as possible, but realistically I know they won't be amazing at it. With NDSU losing as many 3-4 year starters or significant players as it did at LB/S/DE, UND may be able to play some "3 yards and a cloud of dust" football to kill the clock and let the D rest. If UND can accomplish this, and the D can do what I said above, this game could remain close, with anything happening at the end.

I know there is this idea of "let's see them play first," but from my experience, a week 1 team is not the same team midway through the season.

Assuming no injuries and both teams having the perceived strengths/weaknesses as above, my prediction is something more like 20-13, NDSU. I think UND can give NDSU more problems than NDSU fans think, but it would take some amazing execution and luck by the UND offense to pull this one out.

Not trying to be an asshole when I say this, but does anyone in the Big Sky try to pound the rock in a pro style offense like NDSU, other than what UND is now trying to do? Last year that front 7 faced one team that operated an offense similar to NDSU, Missouri State, and gave up 5.1 YPC and 235 total yards on the ground. Pretty easy to say your front 7 has strengths of shutting down the run when they didn't play anyone known for being an effective running team.

NDSU had a great defense last year and everyone assumed they would shut Coastal down. That defense had not seen a spread team like them and were touched.

Not trying to be an asshole when I say this, but does anyone in the Big Sky try to pound the rock in a pro style offense like NDSU, other than what UND is now trying to do? Last year that front 7 faced one team that operated an offense similar to NDSU, Missouri State, and gave up 5.1 YPC and 235 total yards on the ground. Pretty easy to say your front 7 has strengths of shutting down the run when they didn't play anyone known for being an effective running team.

NDSU had a great defense last year and everyone assumed they would shut Coastal down. That defense had not seen a spread team like then and were touched.

A loss is a loss no doubt, but that Missouri State game is a prime example of UND's offense being so inept that the opposing team eventually wears down a defense with minimal depth.  In the first half, UND's defense gave up one touchdown to MSU.  That TD drive was for 8 plays and 79 yards.  The other seven drives went for a total of 26 plays and 92 yards, an average of 3.5 yards per play.  UND's defense was dominating for the first 35 minutes of the game.  Unfortunately, during that same 35 minutes of the game, UND's horrible offense had 4 three and outs.

This was not a game where they were run off the field early and often.  UND had no offense and the defense was exhausted.  With limited depth, they didn't stand a chance in the 2nd half.

• Upvote 2

NDSU had a great defense last year and everyone assumed they would shut Coastal down. That defense had not seen a spread team like them and were touched.

Since you're so good citing stats when they are convenient for you, surprised you didn't take the time to look it up.  Big Sky as a whole averaged 177.38 yard/game rushing (4.63 yard/carry).  MVFC as a whole averaged 176.33 (4.62 yard/carry).

As long as we're touching on it, as a whole, UND's opponents averaged 156 yards rushing per game on the season.  UND gave up an average of 91 yards rushing per game, holding 10 out of 12 opponents below their season average.  NDSU's opponents averaged 152 yards rushing per game on the season.  NDSU gave up an average of 109, holding 10 of 12 below their season average (regular season only).

I know you guys would be happy with the win over NDSU because after all, that is all that counts with you guys, but we have bigger goals in mind.

I should hope so, on both counts.

With 4 straight rings beating UND should be expected. With all the hype it would be a fun game to win, but not a reason to dump Gatorade on the coach. For the same reason (4 straight rings), beating NDSU - at home - would be a huge win for this program given where it has recently been.

Since you're so good citing stats when they are convenient for you, surprised you didn't take the time to look it up. Big Sky as a whole averaged 177.38 yard/game rushing (4.63 yard/carry). MVFC as a whole averaged 176.33 (4.62 yard/carry).

As long as we're touching on it, as a whole, UND's opponents averaged 156 yards rushing per game on the season. UND gave up an average of 91 yards rushing per game, holding 10 out of 12 opponents below their season average.

Defending the rush against a ball control west coast style power team is significantly different than defending it against a spread offense.

I get your point, but you also ignore a couple of things:

1.  UND had virtually zero talent last year, and the talent it did have, for the most part, was young.  I attended the first spring game and it was rough to watch.  I attended this year's and it is night and day different.

2.  First year in a system which has traditionally been known to take about three years to master.  Before you say "they ran the 3-4 before," understand they weren't even close to the same.  Huge difference between calling "Stack Stud" and then calling "Day or Night" based upon the offensive formation and calling "Stack 3," checking into "Grapefruit" with a "Miami/Tampa/Switch" call then checking into "Tite" with a double switch, only to go to Miami on motion by the offense.  Also learning the different calls by an on linebacker and how they impact the offense.  The Schweigert version of this defense has so many moving parts, all designed to confuse/attack the offense, that when mastered is hard to beat.  The version before he got back was essentially a 4-3 with 3-4 personnel.  I can't tell you how far the coaching fell off after Lennon left. 

3.  NDSU no longer has Crockett.  I know some of these other RB's are good, but Crockett didn't belong at the FCS level.  Dude was a man amongst boys.  

Defending the rush against a ball control west coast style power team is significantly different than defending it against a spread offense.

So what you're saying is you're going to keep it as vague as you can because you're just trolling.  The numbers are what they are, but keep moving the goal posts.  Can you name which offenses UND played against that played the spread?

NDSU gave up 66, 68 and 99 to Weber, Montana and Missouri State respectively.

UND gave up 41, 42 and 235 to those same three.  The Missouri State game has already been discussed and was a train wreck in multiple different ways.  UND held the other two to less yards rushing than NDSU did.

Where are the goal posts off to now?

Honestly, haven't you ever noticed that first year coaches often do show immediate improvement, but seem to be unable to continue that improvement in subsequent years? And, in many cases, end up not really being any better than their predecessors?

Can't believe that 5 pages later, nobody has mentioned that this is Klieman's second year also... ;)

• Upvote 1

Can't believe that 5 pages later, nobody has mentioned that this is Klieman's second year also... ;)

To be fair to Klieman, it is going to be significantly more difficult for him to do much better than 14-1 and winning the national championship. It would be hard for Bubba to do much worse than 5-7. Considering how hard it is to win a national championship and win 14 games, I would bet Bubba improves on 5 wins before I would bet on Klieman winning 14 games and a national title in 2015.

Ya I get the two safeties but you act like NDSU has nothing to replace them. Dempsey is a good player and has started and Board was a gigantic recruit who rotated in last year flawlessly and was their best player on special teams. They could turn out to suck, but I don't think that will be the case.

He was a 2 star recruit who chose you guys over Bethune Cookman.  Don't get me wrong, I think recruiting stars are a joke in most cases as I've watched Jerry Kill turn 2 stars into NFL draft picks. But no one can claim that a 2 star was a gigantic recruit regardless of the level of football. 

He was a 2 star recruit who chose you guys over Bethune Cookman.  Don't get me wrong, I think recruiting stars are a joke in most cases as I've watched Jerry Kill turn 2 stars into NFL draft picks. But no one can claim that a 2 star was a gigantic recruit regardless of the level of football. 

For the record: Mariucci is a Gopher-lovin' (UND hockey hatin') guy making these statements. 

To be fair to Klieman, it is going to be significantly more difficult for him to do much better than 14-1 and winning the national championship. It would be hard for Bubba to do much worse than 5-7. Considering how hard it is to win a national championship and win 14 games, I would bet Bubba improves on 5 wins before I would bet on Klieman winning 14 games and a national title in 2015.

You are something else, buddy.

He was a 2 star recruit who chose you guys over Bethune Cookman. Don't get me wrong, I think recruiting stars are a joke in most cases as I've watched Jerry Kill turn 2 stars into NFL draft picks. But no one can claim that a 2 star was a gigantic recruit regardless of the level of football.

A two star recruit for any FCS team is huge. He verballed rather early but had FBS interest later on and the thought was he would be gone. He is from Florida and had an offer from Furman, which is located significantly closer to Orlando Florida than Fargo ND and has a good program.

Just curious but how many 2 star recruits has UND signed recently? I know stars don't always matter, but they are usually a sign of talent. UND hasn't been exactly killing it recuiting wise in recent years.

A two star recruit for any FCS team is huge. He verballed rather early but had FBS interest later on and the thought was he would be gone. He is from Florida and had an offer from Furman, which is located significantly closer to Orlando Florida than Fargo ND and has a good program.

Just curious but how many 2 star recruits has UND signed recently? I know stars don't always matter, but they are usually a sign of talent. UND hasn't been exactly killing it recuiting wise in recent years.

Let me guess, you got the offer list from Bisonation?  

We went through that years ago with the 2-star thing.  Some of the most average/worst players in the program were Rivals 2 stars because they went to a Rivals camp.  It was a joke.  

He is from Florida and had an offer from Furman, which is located significantly closer to Orlando Florida than Fargo ND and has a good program.

South Carolina is definitely closer to Fargo than Florida but I guess it only takes making the playoffs once since 2006 to be considered a good program?  Or maybe its their record of 25-34 over the last 5 years.  Interesting definition I guess.