SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton Conversation

UND-FB-FAN

For someone who has stated the Big Sky won't go FBS, you sure seem to be an anxious wreck over the possibility.

:lol::lol::silly::silly::silly:  And what does your comment have to do with the most recent subject? Guess you ran out of hyperbole. Time to change the focus.

Edited by bison73

An yet you proclaim here that Bresciani's goal is reasonable?  Missing a few digits on your IQ or what?

Reading comprehension isnt your strong suit is it.

ps

"NDSU's President has stated that he thinks NDSU will be accepted into AAU in five years."

He NEVER said that.  Of course saying exactly what he said wouldnt fit your agenda now would it.

Edited by bison73

ps

"NDSU's President has stated that he thinks NDSU will be accepted into AAU in five years."

He NEVER said that.  Of course saying exactly what he said wouldnt fit your agenda now would it.

HE verbally stated it, that within five years AAU is possible, and you wrote it.  Bresciani is too sly and devious to put that in print.  Somehow what he stated doesn't fit in your agenda anymore?

What is ironic if Bresciani actually implemented his vision for NDSU, ACT scores would have to drastically rise and you wouldn't have gotten in.

Edited by SiouxVolley

ps

http://www.jamestownsun.com/opinion/editorials/3859733-ndsu-joins-elite-universities

"State of the University" address: Within five years, NDSU will formally join the ranks of America's elite universities.

HE verbally stated it, that within five years AAU is possible, and you wrote it.  Bresciani is too sly to put that in print.  Somehow what he stated doesn't fit in your agenda anymore?

No he didn't.  He iterated three very specific goals that he thought would be attainable in the next 3-5 years: "First, we need to pursue an enrollment of 18,000 students. That number gives us the size needed to be able to broaden our options, but is not so large that we lose our student focus. Second, we need to grow our student scholarship endowment by at least $100 million. And third, we will need to aggressively pursue a substantial increase in endowed chair and faculty positions."...Given the extensive groundwork already done over the past five years, and the commitment from all of us to continue to reach new levels, I expect us to accomplish these goals in the next 3 to 5 years."

His comments about attaining AAU membership were more vague; he stated the possibility of AAU membership in the foreseeable future.  Here's part of the quote:  "...AAU membership will become possible at some foreseeable point in the future."

Here's the link to his State of the University Address.

https://www.ndsu.edu/president/speeches/stateoftheuniversityaddress2015/

No he didn't.  He iterated three very specific goals that he thought would be attainable in the next 3-5 years: "First, we need to pursue an enrollment of 18,000 students. That number gives us the size needed to be able to broaden our options, but is not so large that we lose our student focus. Second, we need to grow our student scholarship endowment by at least $100 million. And third, we will need to aggressively pursue a substantial increase in endowed chair and faculty positions."...Given the extensive groundwork already done over the past five years, and the commitment from all of us to continue to reach new levels, I expect us to accomplish these goals in the next 3 to 5 years."

His comments about attaining AAU membership were more vague; he stated the possibility of AAU membership in the foreseeable future.  Here's part of the quote:  "...AAU membership will become possible at some foreseeable point in the future."

Here's the link to his State of the University Address.

https://www.ndsu.edu/president/speeches/stateoftheuniversityaddress2015/

So why does the Jamestown Sun and Fargo Forum believe differently?  Bresciani intentionally deceived them?  If he wanted to correct the record, why hasn't he written to them and ask to correct it?

Edited by SiouxVolley

http://www.jamestownsun.com/opinion/editorials/3859733-ndsu-joins-elite-universities

"State of the University" address: Within five years, NDSU will formally join the ranks of America's elite universities.

Dean Bresciani never said that.  The editorial board of the Forum did.  It was a stupid editorial written by people who probably don't know what AAU stands for.

Dean Bresciani never said that.  The editorial board of the Forum did.  It was a stupid editorial written by people who probably don't know what AAU stands for.

Then don't you think there should be a correction in the story that is deemed to be false. Where is Bresciani's comment to the paper? Oh that's right there is none. 

Then don't you think there should be a correction in the story that is deemed to be false. Where is Bresciani's comment to the paper? Oh that's right there is none. 

It wasn't a story, it was an editorial.  You know, an opinion?  How do write a correction for that?

Why should Bresciani write a rebuttal?  His exact words are easily found in the State of the University Address.  If you haven't noticed, mainstream journalism doesn't exactly have a great track record for top-notch reporting.  The opinion section is even worse.

Edited by NDSU grad

So they say something about Bresciani that is false...slander? Or maybe it is true.

What did they say about Bresciani that's false?  They simply stated their opinion about Bresciani's comments in the state of the University Address.  Stupid opinions about topics they have absolutely no understanding about, but opinions nonetheless.

Here's the whole speech: https://www.ndsu.edu/president/speec...tyaddress2015/

This is what it would take to join the AAU:
I believe we are on the path to legitimately being able to pursue membership in the AAU. This is an association of top research universities that are leaders in innovation, scholarship and solutions that contribute to the nation's economy, security and well-being. I believe our scholarly performance already more than meets their standard, and with increased endowment of academic activities, AAU membership will become possible at some foreseeable point in the future. Just a few years ago I would have laughed at that assertion; today it has become quite real.

To that end, I have identified three targets we need to accomplish if we’re to reach AAU status. First, we need to pursue an enrollment of 18,000 students. That number gives us the size needed to be able to broaden our options, but is not so large that we lose our student focus. Second, we need to grow our student scholarship endowment by at least $100 million. And third, we will need to aggressively pursue a substantial increase in endowed chair and faculty positions.

I think this is doable with a great 5-10 year plan in place.

How would they gain 100 million more endowment in that time frame? NDSU is about 100 million behind UND and we aren't near the goal for an AAU school. Good luck.

Nebraska is over a billion endowment and Minnesota an AAU member is over 3 billion endowment...just some fun facts.

Edited by darell1976

How would they gain 100 million more endowment in that time frame? NDSU is about 100 million behind UND and we aren't near the goal for an AAU school. Good luck.

Nebraska is over a billion endowment and Minnesota an AAU member is over 3 billion endowment...just some fun facts.

A lot can happen in 10 years. Even if it takes 15-20-25-30 years , by following the steps for eligibility it will just make NDSU better.

Let’s take rational look and bring this thread back to Big Sky athletics

Research publications in 2014 (Thompson-Reuters)

Texas Tech (2000), NDSU (1000), UNLV (1000), Wyoming (1000), UND (500), UMD (500)

The difference between NDSU and UND is comparable to the difference between Texas Tech and NDSU. UND is on par with UMD (also med school). Texas Tech has no chance at AAU right now, and I estimate it would take 15 years for NDSU to have a realistic shot, but that club appears to shrinking, not growing. DB is probably trying to spin positive PR for NDSU while finding a way to move on as a president.

Endowment varies too wildly among public schools to be a meaningful metric, but NDSU REALLY needs to work on theirs.

None of this translates to athletics (see recent loss of Gopher hockey to UMD and Vermont)

2014-2015 Learfield Standings (HIGHLY dependent on year)

Texas Tech (40) – 556

Boise State (64) – 337

NDSU (69) – 300

Wyoming (176) – 87.5

UND (179)  - 83

NDSU belongs in MWC (not Big12 or FCS), whereas UND and Wyoming should be BigSky. I personally agree with that assessment. NDSU would drop after such a move because the competition would be higher, though.

Edited by BadlandsGriz
must have deleted when I hit submit

Trying to talk about athletics, but I assume you mean the whole Ag thing. Both schools get significant subsidies from different sources. In terms of NSF/NIH funding, the most recent numbers I saw mirror the publication numbers I posted above.

I'd be careful, though, especially in the context of AAU, since you’re really up against the "statistics of small numbers" for both schools. Plus, doctors and lawyers typically don't try to get NSF funding or publish papers. Like I said earlier, different schools - different niches. Let's leave it at that.

The point I was trying to make is that AAU is not a rational possibility for NDSU in the next 5-10 years, and more importantly, it has no bearing on athletics. DB knows this. NDSU just initiated an internal "Grand Challenge" competition for $ 1M in funding. Indiana U is doing the same thing - for $300M. That pretty much sums it up.

Time to watch some football ...