SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to the Big10 - Question?????

SIOUXFAN97

Hypothetical question on a slow summer siouxsports.com night?

If the BIG10 came to UND saying that they were offering full membership in the BIG10 would UND and the State of North Dakota say yes if the following were the requirements?

new 250 million football stadium

new 50 million mens/womens basketball stadium

new 10 million baseball stadium

100 million entrance fee

Just wondering?

If the BIG10 came to UND saying that they were offering full membership in the BIG10 would UND and the State of North Dakota say yes if the following were the requirements?

100 million entrance fee

Just wondering?

No. UND almost has to be AAU too and ND has to be as big as Nebraska.

The B12 only is interested in schools like UVA, UNC, GA Tech, Vandy, Mizzou, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Iowa St won't get in and they have all the academic and facility requirements.

Oklahoma could get in even though it's not AAU, but it's an exception because it's football is good for ratings and its academics is arguably better than Nebraska in population and fan base.

The B12 only is interested in schools like UVA, UNC, GA Tech, Vandy, Mizzou, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Iowa St won't get in and they have all the academic and facility requirements.

Oklahoma could get in, but it's an exception because it's football is good and its academics is arguably better than Nebraska in population and fan base.

but those schools don't have the finest college hockey program in the country??? hockey can be a very profitable sport (i think penn state has been pleasantly suprised by its popularity/success/and money) if done right and und would more fill most of the hockey venues in the big10???  ia state wouldn't get in bc of of iowa blocking them....

okay how about 200 million entrance fee then? ???:)

but those schools don't have the finest college hockey program in the country??? hockey can be a very profitable sport (i think penn state has been pleasantly suprised by its popularity/success/and money) if done right and und would more fill most of the hockey venues in the big10??? ia state wouldn't get in bc of of iowa blocking them....

Football and academics steer the boat.

If any of those schools got in the Big Ten, they would be asked to start hockey and lacrosse for programming sake.

Our only chance to be associated with a P5 is if some PAC12 schools started hockey and they asked UND and Denver to be affiliates.

If we became AAU, we'd have a chance to be an affiliate just like Johns Hopkins. That would take billions and twenty or more years.

Football steers the boat.

If any of those schools got in the Big Ten, they would be asked to start hockey and lacrosse for programming sake.

Our only chance to be associated with a P5 is if some PAC12 schools started hockey and they asked UND and Denver to be affiliates.

okay but you haven't answered the hypothetical question...if the big10 said these were the requirements would und and the state of nd work together and say yes we are joining the big time or no we will spend all this oil money revenue on tv ads telling us how bad binge drinking is??

okay but you haven't answered the hypothetical question...if the big10 said these were the requirements would und and the state of nd work together and say yes we are joining the big time or no we will spend all this oil money revenue on tv ads telling us how bad binge drinking is??

I edited the above. We have to be AAU before they would consider us as an affiliate. Would take billions in research grants, buildings, high level profs, etc, and twenty years at least.

Half a billion dollars in debt for a conference affiliation is asking a lot for a state school. I wouldn't think they woyld poney up that kind of money.

but those schools don't have the finest college hockey program in the country??? hockey can be a very profitable sport (i think penn state has been pleasantly suprised by its popularity/success/and money) if done right and und would more fill most of the hockey venues in the big10??? ia state wouldn't get in bc of of iowa blocking them....

Hockey is about as relevant as wrestling or lacrosse when it comes to conference realignment.

No ND school will ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever smell the Big Ten.

I'll preface my answer to the question by saying the Big Ten will never offer any ND school without very significant change.  The B1G is trying to expand its footprint into areas that generate more media revenue for the conference, particularly out east.  North Dakota, despite having UND and NDSU, largely follows the Big Ten from a power conference standpoint already, so has little to gain by expanding conference membership here, especially without a large population base.

With that said, if UND was ever offered the opportunity, take it.  No doubt about it.  The revenue that the Big Ten creates would easily help pay for a lot of that money over the years.  IIRC, the Big Ten has the most revenue of any P5 conference despite other conferences being typically a bit stronger in most sports these days.

... into areas that generate more media revenue for the conference ... 

Exactly. They are already getting their money out of the Dakotas. Midcontinent already carries the BTN. (Not sure about Cable One.) There is nothing to gain (for the B1G) by adding anything from the Dakotas. 

To figure out who the B1G is after next, cross-reference the lists of largest media markets and public AAU member schools. Find the ones that abut current B1G states and there's your winners. Recent examples? Rutgers (aka NJ State University) + NYC media market; Maryland + Balt/Wash media market. 

Oklahoma could get in even though it's not AAU, but it's an exception because it's football is good for ratings and its academics is arguably better than Nebraska in population and fan base.

I don't think you know what hypothetical means?

I remember years ago when the mayor of nashville or some official said that if nashville wanted an nfl team lets stop talking and get it done...

What i was saying on here was let's say that we get a new govenor or the current one goes on record as saying that he/she wants to get und into the big10 conference.  Let's say that und's new president has the same vision for und.  I agree with siouxvolley that it would take billions and decades. But if und and the state of north dakota had a plan to upgrade athletics/buildings/faculty/ and our endowment up to par with other flagship institutions of the big10 over a 20 year plan let's do it and see what happens.

We have a once in a lifetime opportunity to do something with all this oil revenue and taking UND and the state of nd to a new level of excellence in athletics/education/research shouldn't be something we shouldn't be scared of at least trying...

I know a lot of ndac people wouldn't be behind this for obvious reasons but if one school from north dakota was going to try this it would be the one with:

a law school

a medical school

a business school

an aerospace school

ralph engelstad arena

2 d1 hockey programs

• Upvote 1

I remember years ago when the mayor of nashville or some official said that if nashville wanted an nfl team lets stop talking and get it done...

What i was saying on here was let's say that we get a new govenor or the current one goes on record as saying that he/she wants to get und into the big10 conference. Let's say that und's new president has the same vision for und. I agree with siouxvolley that it would take billions and decades. But if und and the state of north dakota had a plan to upgrade athletics/buildings/faculty/ and our endowment up to par with other flagship institutions of the big10 over a 20 year plan let's do it and see what happens.

We have a once in a lifetime opportunity to do something with all this oil revenue and taking UND and the state of nd to a new level of excellence in athletics/education/research shouldn't be something we shouldn't be scared of at least trying...

I know a lot of ndac people wouldn't be behind this for obvious reasons but if one school from north dakota was going to try this it would be the one with:

a law school

a medical school

a business school

an aerospace school

ralph engelstad arena

2 d1 hockey programs

Use the money for something better. No one from North Dakota is going to the B1G.

Use the money for something better. No one from North Dakota is going to the B1G.

and that something would be???

prisons

psa telling me every two minutes telling the dangers of binge drinking

giving it to out of state interests to buy our land, "manage" it, and then sell it back years later for a nice profit

a bigger presidents house for the ndac

prisons

giving it to out of state interests to buy our land, "manage" it, and then sell it back years later for a nice profit

Lutheran Social Services. hide.gif

• Upvote 2

prisons

Could just save the money.

100 million entrance fee

Just wondering?

So Going to one of the Power conferences is not an easy task to say the least.  Sure UND could do all the things you listed above.  But, the most importatnt requirement that you didn't list is the BIG10 actually wanting UND and inviting them into the conference.  A lot of money could be spent with no gaurantee of the BIG or any power conference wanting to extend an invitation.

Sure, you can think big.  But, the Big10 is not going to invite any Dakota school.  An UND is not going to raise and spend up 3/4 of a billion dollars on a slim chance to join a conference. 

(Don't we always make fun of Bison fans talking about joining the BIG 12 in all sports??) :)

So Going to one of the Power conferences is not an easy task to say the least.  Sure UND could do all the things you listed above.  But, the most importatnt requirement that you didn't list is the BIG10 actually wanting UND and inviting them into the conference.  A lot of money could be spent with no gaurantee of the BIG or any power conference wanting to extend an invitation.

Sure, you can think big.  But, the Big10 is not going to invite any Dakota school.  An UND is not going to raise and spend up 3/4 of a billion dollars on a slim chance to join a conference. 

(Don't we always make fun of Bison fans talking about joining the BIG 12 in all sports??) :)

all of the above things could and maybe should be long term goals for und....wanting to raise the endowment from 200m to 1b in twenty years is a bad thing???

nebraska- 1.5b

iowa-1.2b

north dakota- 200m

lets close the gap regardless of big10 aspirations....

the only thing that you would want to hold out on would a fb stadium until you have an invite in hand

I'll preface my answer to the question by saying the Big Ten will never offer any ND school without very significant change.  The B1G is trying to expand its footprint into areas that generate more media revenue for the conference, particularly out east.  North Dakota, despite having UND and NDSU, largely follows the Big Ten from a power conference standpoint already, so has little to gain by expanding conference membership here, especially without a large population base.

With that said, if UND was ever offered the opportunity, take it.  No doubt about it.  The revenue that the Big Ten creates would easily help pay for a lot of that money over the years.  IIRC, the Big Ten has the most revenue of any P5 conference despite other conferences being typically a bit stronger in most sports these days.

Bingo.

Don't think it will ever happen, however remember the old axiom: "if you're not moving forward, you're going backward."

Agreed. But goals that are at least somewhat attainable would be a good starting point.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...