SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Recruiting

UND Fan

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Weren't offered prior to March of their senior year? Moody just committed before his senior year started and they already have at least 9 offers out to the Class of 2018.

They already have 1 of the 2 spots filled to replace Baldwin and Hooker (Moody) and will likely have the other locked up before the season starts. It is replacing the 4 juniors on scholarship that will be the near impossible task without at least some sort of token extension.

by March I was referring prior to their senior year beginning...also a new coach will have full aau open periods to recruit..this is when players and coaches get down to business. When you get kids with 0-2 other D1 offers junior year contacts are of modest...Moody does not know who is HC will be when he arrives...as Jones has no contract for 17-18

On July 15, 2016 at 6:50 AM, UND1983 said:

Lol...that is what you took from the article?  

You obviously didn't watch UND last year as their offense was actually very structured for once, with some secondary plays off the initial ball screen or weave.   Very few teams were as boring as NDSU last year.  That was small ball at its peak.

No, I didn't see the article. I actually got that from an interview Moody had with Jack Michaels on 740 The Fan. You should listen to it. It is most likely podcast. 

14 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

No, I didn't see the article. I actually got that from an interview Moody had with Jack Michaels on 740 The Fan. You should listen to it. It is most likely podcast. 

You obviously didn't watch UND last year.  

He was probably comparing UNDs style to NDSUin his mind, in which case, yes UND looks like the old Loyola Marymount teams.  

We have 24 offers (some are likely to have been withdrawn while we may not be aware of other offers that have been made) extended to BB players for next season.  At this point, it would appear that we will have 2 scholarships available.  I would think that a recruit may have a concern regarding how highly we think of him (or how much we want him) when we continue to make offers.  I suppose our staff assures the kids we really want that they should not be concerned by so many offers but I would think that most recruits wouldn't feel too special if they were one of 20+ kids we had offered.

I don't want this to start another "bash Jones" thread so let's not do that.  I am just curious about what others think about this recruiting approach.

On 7/15/2016 at 10:55 AM, jdub27 said:

Weren't offered prior to March of their senior year? Moody just committed before his senior year started and they already have at least 9 offers out to the Class of 2018.

They already have 1 of the 2 spots filled to replace Baldwin and Hooker (Moody) and will likely have the other locked up before the season starts. It is replacing the 4 juniors on scholarship that will be the near impossible task without at least some sort of token extension.

by March I was referring prior to their senior year beginning...also a new coach will have full aau open periods to recruit..this is when players and coaches get down to business. When you get kids with 0-2 other D1 offers junior year contacts are of modest...Moody does not know who is HC will be when he arrives...as Jones has no contract for 17-18

UND has one scholarship open for 17/18  season they have like 24 offers out...Jones and his staff are on thin ice as evidenced by the fact none of them are under contract for the 2017/18  season , that kind of puts the kibosh on recruiting. That being said I find it odd that they continue to offer guards ( when they need to shore up front court) and are offering kid with zero competing D1 offers.  Better to be picky with last offer rather than adding another long shot prospect

14 hours ago, hoops44 said:

UND has one scholarship open for 17/18  season they have like 24 offers out...Jones and his staff are on thin ice as evidenced by the fact none of them are under contract for the 2017/18  season , that kind of puts the kibosh on recruiting. That being said I find it odd that they continue to offer guards ( when they need to shore up front court) and are offering kid with zero competing D1 offers.  Better to be picky with last offer rather than adding another long shot prospect

How many calls do you think Jones has made to Reggie Lynch in the last couple of days?

48 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

How many calls do you think Jones has made to Reggie Lynch in the last couple of days?

Now that there wasn't evidence for charges Lynch will end up back in those same "bloody stool and dehydrated urine" colors he had on before.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:43 PM, UND Fan said:

Another offer to what appears to be a pretty talented kid:

SG Matt Beachler, 6'4”, 180, Lowell (Lowell), MI Has offers from CMU, Cornell, DePaul, Kent St, Lehigh, NIU, Oakland Toledo & VCU

Beachler will play at CMU.

On 8/4/2016 at 6:56 AM, hoops44 said:

Aren"t all coaches in South Dakota on one year contracts and can't a coach be fired at will. Not seeing the big deal about being in the "final year" of contract.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

that should wrap up this class for UND...last 3 high schools recruits signed had no competing D1 offers...With FCOA incentive was hoping to see an upgrade here.  

so we are a d1 school with d2 talent and underpaid coaches...doesn't sound good