SiouxSports.com Forum

2016-2017 Recruiting

UND Fan

NDSU offered Dickinson's 6'11' Jordan Meidinger.  I would think/hope that we will do so as well.

I've heard his talent level currently isn't at a D-1 level and he'd be a project player, but haven't seen him firsthand.  On the other hand, you can't teach height like that, especially in-state.  I'd assume he's on the radar.

I've heard his talent level currently isn't at a D-1 level and he'd be a project player, but haven't seen him firsthand. On the other hand, you can't teach height like that, especially in-state. I'd assume he's on the radar.

That "non-DI talent" BS is a main reason why UND basketball is horseshit right now. NDSU has obtained all of its DI accomplishments largely with ND and MN players. You can train and condition players to a higher level of competition. Jones looks all over the country for players not from North Dakota or even Minnesota, and as a result, they don't produce or stick it out. Need players who have a sense of pride to this area and school; otherwise, you won't get 100% effort.

• Upvote 2

That "non-DI talent" BS is a main reason why UND basketball is horseshit right now. NDSU has obtained all of its DI accomplishments largely with ND and MN players. You can train and condition players to a higher level of competition. Jones looks all over the country for players not from North Dakota or even Minnesota, and as a result, they don't produce or stick it out. Need players who have a sense of pride to this area and school; otherwise, you won't get 100% effort.

There's some merit to this. It would seem that our ability to develop local projects has been lacking in recent years, whereas others (not naming names) have cracked the code. The last local project that I can remember remotely developing into an effective contributor at UND was Warroad's 6-11 center Mitch Wilmer, and that took all the way until his senior year.

I get that and agree 100%, though I'd argue that Jones recruits Minnesota more than Saul or Richman have.  I'd also rather have a local kid with height rather than digging through the JuCo ranks which unfortunately has not worked all that well for UND that past few seasons.

My point was more referring to that he spent more time playing JV than Varsity and averaged 2.7 points and 2.3 rebounds while playing under 10 minutes a game for a team that was 9-15.  I get he was only a sophomore but their offer looks to be based on potential, similar to the commit they have from the kid from Fargo. In no way am I saying that he can't won't develop into a player at all, just surprised that NDSU offered this early from what I've heard about him. 

Depending on how scholarships shake out with transfers, etc, it looks like UND will have somewhere between 2-4 available that year.

There's some merit to this. It would seem that our ability to develop local projects has been lacking in recent years, whereas others (not naming names) have cracked the code. The last local project that I can remember remotely developing into an effective contributor at UND was Warroad's 6-11 center Mitch Wilmer, and that took all the way until his senior year.

If not for injury, I think Brekke would be another very good example of developing a local talent, though he probably wasn't quite as much of a project.

Not nearly enough talent in North Dakota to support 2 D1teams.  fact is NDSU  usually has 2 ND kids on scholarship last 3-4 years.... Also NDSU is picking up scholarship players  from high school and prep schools  from Wisc not so much from MN.    

• Upvote 1

The kid from Dickinson was given an opportunity to start this season based on his height and was moved to JV as the year went a long with limited varsity minutes.  While I won't argue about not developing players and missing on some local kids, I would say there has been a refocus on Minnesota and Iowa the last couple years. 

I get that and agree 100%, though I'd argue that Jones recruits Minnesota more than Saul or Richman have.  I'd also rather have a local kid with height rather than digging through the JuCo ranks which unfortunately has not worked all that well for UND that past few seasons.

My point was more referring to that he spent more time playing JV than Varsity and averaged 2.7 points and 2.3 rebounds while playing under 10 minutes a game for a team that was 9-15.  I get he was only a sophomore but their offer looks to be based on potential, similar to the commit they have from the kid from Fargo. In no way am I saying that he can't won't develop into a player at all, just surprised that NDSU offered this early from what I've heard about him. 

Depending on how scholarships shake out with transfers, etc, it looks like UND will have somewhere between 2-4 available that year.

If not for injury, I think Brekke would be another very good example of developing a local talent, though he probably wasn't quite as much of a project.

Yeah, I think you're right... Brekke was more talent than project.  Just had a lot of luck -- the bad kind.

• 4 weeks later...

UND continue to recruit Iowa hard though not real surprising with the ties Jones and Horner have to the state.  Wonder how much of an effect Ahelegbe going to USD will have on Minnesota recruiting overall.

I think the TC/MN recrutiing is fine. You have a bunch of kids from the cities that are recruiting hard for UND. They know the talent down there and realize what UND could be if they get those kids to buy into building this program by staying close to home.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...