2015-2016 NHL Season

iluvdebbies

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Given these odds, who's a good buy?   Who's the worst buy?

(Posted by Sioux Rube on the 14-15 thread:)

Here’s all 30 teams early odds for the 2015-16 season:

Chicago Blackhawks 7/1
New York Rangers 8/1
Anaheim Ducks 10/1
St. Louis Blues 12/1
Tampa Bay Lightning 12/1
Los Angeles Kings 14/1
Minnesota Wild 14/1
Montreal Canadiens 14/1
Pittsburgh Penguins 14/1
Boston Bruins 16/1
Nashville Predators 16/1
Washington Capitals 18/1
New York Islanders 22/1
Winnipeg Jets 25/1
Columbus Blue Jackets 33/1
Detroit Red Wings 33/1
Edmonton Oilers 33/1
Calgary Flames 40/1
San Jose Sharks 40/1
Vancouver Canucks 40/1
Ottawa Senators 50/1
Colorado Avalanche 66/1
Dallas Stars 66/1
New Jersey Devils 66/1
Philadelphia Flyers 66/1
Toronto Maple Leafs 66/1
Florida Panthers 75/1
Buffalo Sabres 100/1
Carolina Hurricanes 100/1
Arizona Coyotes 100/1

Given these odds, who's a good buy?   Who's the worst buy?

(Posted by Sioux Rube on the 14-15 thread:)

Here’s all 30 teams early odds for the 2015-16 season:

Chicago Blackhawks 7/1

New York Rangers 8/1

Anaheim Ducks 10/1

St. Louis Blues 12/1

Tampa Bay Lightning 12/1

Los Angeles Kings 14/1

Minnesota Wild 14/1

Montreal Canadiens 14/1

Pittsburgh Penguins 14/1

Boston Bruins 16/1

Nashville Predators 16/1

Washington Capitals 18/1

New York Islanders 22/1

Winnipeg Jets 25/1

Columbus Blue Jackets 33/1

Detroit Red Wings 33/1

Edmonton Oilers 33/1

Calgary Flames 40/1

San Jose Sharks 40/1

Vancouver Canucks 40/1

Ottawa Senators 50/1

Colorado Avalanche 66/1

Dallas Stars 66/1

New Jersey Devils 66/1

Philadelphia Flyers 66/1

Toronto Maple Leafs 66/1

Florida Panthers 75/1

Buffalo Sabres 100/1

Carolina Hurricanes 100/1

Arizona Coyotes 100/1

Take my advice and jump all over the Bruins at 16/1!

• Downvote 1

I don't get the Kings odds, either...

I really don't have a problem with that number for LAK. Part of it is the money thrown at them by gambling LA fans on the weekend excursion to Vegas. Part of it is that they are one year removed from a Cup and still have those core guys. They had a lot go wrong last season (Voynoy, slow start, Mike Richards, and at season's end we find an issue with Stoll) but if they can figure out their defense over the summer, they'll be back. 

Chris VandeVelde was shopping at the new Hornbacher's in Moorhead during their gand opening yesterday.................I see Hak already has someone grocery shopping for him.  But with $10M in your pocket on can afford that I guess.

Calling it now:  Bucci picks the Eichel-Sabres FTW at $100/1

Nightmare scenario:

Bucci goes to NBCSN to call NHL Eastern finals between the Buffalo Eichel-Sabres (yes, they'll be renamed by January :D ) and the Philly Flyers. 

My $2 for 66/1 on Philly ... gone. 

Then Bucci replaces Doc in calling the 2016 Cup Finals: Eichel-Sabres v. Edmonton McOilers

I really don't have a problem with that number for LAK. Part of it is the money thrown at them by gambling LA fans on the weekend excursion to Vegas. Part of it is that they are one year removed from a Cup and still have those core guys. They had a lot go wrong last season (Voynoy, slow start, Mike Richards, and at season's end we find an issue with Stoll) but if they can figure out their defense over the summer, they'll be back. 

I totally see what you're saying, but every team has things go wrong every season - it's how they overcome those issues that matters.  I have to wonder if the Kings aging of that core is catching up?  In the cup year, they should have been knocked out in the first round (seriously!).  Good on them for sticking together and getting hot, but if they had lost game 4, 5, 6, or 7 and been eliminated in round one and then missed the playoffs last year, as they did, they'd be getting Toronto odds...

I totally see what you're saying, but every team has things go wrong every season - it's how they overcome those issues that matters.  I have to wonder if the Kings aging of that core is catching up?  In the cup year, they should have been knocked out in the first round (seriously!).  Good on them for sticking together and getting hot, but if they had lost game 4, 5, 6, or 7 and been eliminated in round one and then missed the playoffs last year, as they did, they'd be getting Toronto odds...

I think you might be exaggerating on them having odds similar to Toronto had they lost in the first round. LA missed the playoffs by a couple of points and Toronto had one of the 5 worst records in the NHL. I believe LA had one of the worst records in shootouts this year and most statistical analysis of shootouts say that they all basically come down to luck. There is little correlation in shootout records and team talent. If LA had managed to be an average shootout team they would have been in the playoffs this year. Also they didn't just have things go wrong, they have two players facing possible felony charges, with one of them facing possible deportation. Those are hardly normal things going wrong during the season.

And they really aren't that old of a team. Their best players are Kopitar (27 y.o.), Carter (30 y.o.), Doughty (25 y.o.), Toffoli (23 y.o.), and Quick (29 y.o.). Their oldest player was 33 this year. 

Toronto on the other hand has had the 4th worst record, 8th worst record, made playoffs, 5th worst record, and 9th worst record over the past 5 years.

They may have slightly higher odds than they deserve. But I feel like they should be in the same category as the Capitals, Bruins, and Penguins.

You wouldn't like my bedtime stories. They all involve the Blackhawks skating rings around the Red Wings.

Funny how people forget the time span from about 1994 thru 2009 when most hockey fans in Chicago followed the Red Wings...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1