SiouxSports.com Forum

And then there were 7 (vote!)

jimdahl

Which remaining names are acceptable  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Which could you live with? (vote more than one)

• Fighting Hawks
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Roughriders
    • Sundogs

Ok, no one else started the poll, I will :)

A lot of the real dogs (spirit, force, pride) were eliminated, but so were a couple of people (explorers, cavalry) except RoughRiders (and perhaps a Nodak, still not sure what that is).

Again, the question is which could you live with? For most people, that may be more than one.

The committee developed criteria that they developed that they wanted the new nickname to have:

• Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s;
  • Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion;
  • Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future; and
  • Be a unifying and rallying symbol.

If you look at the committees own criteria, there is really only one name that fits all of them...ROUGHRIDERS.

• Upvote 4

My guess at what will be ultimately the final 3 to vote on:

Green Hawks   (Consultants pick)

Nodaks   (Pick to appease the "no nickname" crowd)

Sundogs    (Kelley/Russ/PC pick)

There are not enough people on that committee to understand political correctness should not trump sound judgement and logic based on their own criteria set forth from the beginning.

I originally had Roughriders, Cavalry and Explorers as my top 3.  While I would be ecstatic if Ridazzz was chosen, I think I could live with Fighting Hawks and Nodaks as long as the logos were quality.  I'm still torn on North Stars.  I think it would be accepted over time but there would be some backlash at first from Minnesotans.  Sundogs, remaining North Dakota and Green Hawks don't really do it for me although I could eventually live with Green Hawks.

Green Hawks

Nodaks

Sundogs

There are not enough people on that committee to understand political correctness should not trump sound judgement and logic based on their own criteria set forth from the beginning.

I think Roughriders makes the top 3.  It did receive the most votes.  I would guess Roughriders, Sundogs and Nodaks make top 3.  I can't see them keeping North Dakota as an option as that would probably run away with the vote.

• Upvote 1

How in the H E Double Hockey Sticks is North Stars still an option.

What a shyte show.

Sundogs can also instantly go so there we have it down to 5.

Green Hawks can fly into a window so, gone......down to 4.

Roughriders is as original as an SNL skit....gone......to the 3.

North Dakota

Nodak

Fighting Hawks......

Send em up for a vote.....who gives a shyte. I'll never refer to the teams by it.

Myself, my kids, their kids, and their great great grandkids will have enough Fighting Sioux gear to wear long after they're all enslaved by their PC libtard overlords.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

(reposted here, because it probably better applies here)

My take on the Silly Seven, and I see these seven in four categories: 

< adjective > Hawks: This is the standard consultant template. Look at Miami and a host of other schools that have dropped Native related names. It's so pattern and predictable that it's a running joke. And it needs to be dismissed out of hand. 

The Unimaginative: Yes, that's Nodaks and North Dakota. Nothing says unique and creative like using the state name, or better yet, shortening it to a postal code abbreviation. The unimaginative is not worthy of a center of creativity like a university. 

The State Nicknames: Well, that's what Roughriders and North Stars are, state nicknames; except, North Stars is not North Dakota's but is Minnesota's and must be dismissed as such summarily. 

Duckies, Bunnies, Rainbows, and Unicorns; aka The Kumbahyas: Sundogs are light and sunny and rainbows ... just sunshine on ice crystals, ... or are they. Sundogs mean it's cold and going to be colder. If you're from North Dakota sundogs are not something you want to see in January. Or it means something very different and that is a Class A misdemeanor (or is it a Class C felony). 

Run through that list of trite template solutions, the completely unimaginative, and sunshine on ice crystals which also means a crime (sex in public) and what are you left with? 

Minnesota - the Gopher State
Iowa - the Hawkeye State
Nebraska - the Cornhusker State
Kansas - the Jayhawk State

North Dakota - the Roughrider State

The TR Rough Rider Award is the State's highest award. Just ask UND Athletics icons Fido Purpur and Phil Jackson
  • Upvote 3

Green Hawks   (Consultants pick)

Nodaks   (Pick to appease the "no nickname" crowd)

Sundogs    (Kelley/Russ/PC pick)

This would be awful

Comments on the Star Tribune article are already blowing up on the consideration of the use of North Stars. Further proof how stupid it is. Great name, but not for a North Dakota team.

So you are saying that ticking off Gopher fans is a bad idea?  Anything that gets under their skin is a positive, IMHO. :)

Besides, we could use just "Stars" without the directional abjective in front of it and it probably would STILL tick them off! :p

For the record, I voted Roughriders in the poll and I think that is what it will end up being.

So you are saying that ticking off Gopher fans is a bad idea?  Anything that gets under their skin is a positive, IMHO. :)

Besides, we could use just "Stars" without the directional abjective in front of it and it probably would STILL tick them off! :p

For the record, I voted Roughriders in the poll and I think that is what it will end up being.

Hey, if a Central alum can get behind the name Roughriders, than anyone can!!!  :)

• Upvote 1

I don't really want to cheer for Hawks, but I could do it.  Same goes for Sundogs.  But I gag every time I think of cheering for the North Stars.  Loved the pro team, love the name in general, but it's the MINNESOTA (not north dakota) state nickname.  I don't understand why it's even in contention.

North Stars isn't a good plan, but the north star is known as Polaris. Is it a possibility to use that? It doesn't do much for me, but it would get us away from Minnesota's state motto.

Already planning ahead for corporate sponsorship.  Good thinking  ;)

Hey, if we were going to be the "Force of the North",  we just could have been the "Stars of the North".  Sure it's semantics, but it wouldn't actually be North Stars.   O.K. then, Roughriders it is!

(reposted here, because it probably better applies here)

My take on the Silly Seven, and I see these seven in four categories: 

< adjective > Hawks: This is the standard consultant template. Look at Miami and a host of other schools that have dropped Native related names. It's so pattern and predictable that it's a running joke. And it needs to be dismissed out of hand. 

The Unimaginative: Yes, that's Nodaks and North Dakota. Nothing says unique and creative like using the state name, or better yet, shortening it to a postal code abbreviation. The unimaginative is not worthy of a center of creativity like a university. 

The State Nicknames: Well, that's what Roughriders and North Stars are, state nicknames; except, North Stars is not North Dakota's but is Minnesota's and must be dismissed as such summarily. 

Duckies, Bunnies, Rainbows, and Unicorns; aka The Kumbahyas: Sundogs are light and sunny and rainbows ... just sunshine on ice crystals, ... or are they. Sundogs mean it's cold and going to be colder. If you're from North Dakota sundogs are not something you want to see in January. Or it means something very different and that is a Class A misdemeanor (or is it a Class C felony). 

Run through that list of trite template solutions, the completely unimaginative, and sunshine on ice crystals which also means a crime (sex in public) and what are you left with? 

Minnesota - the Gopher State
Iowa - the Hawkeye State
Nebraska - the Cornhusker State
Kansas - the Jayhawk State

North Dakota - the Roughrider State

The TR Rough Rider Award is the State's highest award. Just ask UND Athletics icons Fido Purpur and Phil Jackson

Yeah, then we could lay further claim to the state.  We are already the flagship University, then we would have the state nickname like those others you listed as well.  After all,  nobody refers to North Dakota as the Bison state.