SiouxSports.com Forum

"New Americans" what do they bring to the table in the region

Redneksioux

I heard the term new Americans used on the news last week after the brawl/house break in/pistol whip/car chase. Never heard this term used before but found it quite hilarious how politically correct everyone must be now adays.

Anyways I'm curious. There's a somali that was just charged in grand forks with starting his apartment on fire and all I am hearing about these new Americans is the crime they are bringing to the region.

Not trying to make this a racist post. I'm curious why more and more of these new Americans keep showing up to the region. Maybe there are some good hard working ones and the few are giving the rest a bad name? Who is helping bring all these new Americans here and in what cases has anyone noticed them being positive for the region?

I heard the term new Americans used on the news last week after the brawl/house break in/pistol whip/car chase. Never heard this term used before but found it quite hilarious how politically correct everyone must be now adays.

Anyways I'm curious. There's a somali that was just charged in grand forks with starting his apartment on fire and all I am hearing about these new Americans is the crime they are bringing to the region.

Not trying to make this a racist post. I'm curious why more and more of these new Americans keep showing up to the region. Maybe there are some good hard working ones and the few are giving the rest a bad name? Who is helping bring all these new Americans here and in what cases has anyone noticed them being positive for the region?

There is an org called Lutheran Social Services who are in cahoots with the govt and get $$$$$$$ to relocate them.

• Upvote 1

Lutheran Social Services makes money off of immigrants, since they get government grants to build the LSS empire and build shiny new headquarters in Fargo. LSS used to be a charity organization, but now it acts like a big business into people trafficking for profit.

Religion is the problem, not race. Islamic peoples like Somalis are butchering people in Kenya and Ethiopia right now in the name of Islam. Somalia has so many rival clans that its ungovernable. Let Saudi and the Gulf State and Iran offer them refuge, as theyll put them in slavery situations. Kenyans, Ethiopians, some Eritreans, Rwandans, Nepalese (Buddhists), Indian (Hindu, Jain, Christian) make so much better Americans because they aren't taught in mosques that America is the Great Satan that needs to be destroyed.

• Upvote 1

So our tax dollars are paying to bring most of the new Americans here. I wonder how much of our tax dollars are being spent on programs for them. I'm sure many of them work in the community and pay taxes but Id like to see some stats that show the revenue of their tax dollars vs the expense of the welfare dollars they receive.

So our tax dollars are paying to bring most of the new Americans here. I wonder how much of our tax dollars are being spent on programs for them. I'm sure many of them work in the community and pay taxes but Id like to see some stats that show the revenue of their tax dollars vs the expense of the welfare dollars they receive.

What marketable skills do you think they bring to the table? Many are housed in Sec 8 housing and are fully indoctrinated in to the welfare system.

What marketable skills do you think they bring to the table? Many are housed in Sec 8 housing and are fully indoctrinated in to the welfare system.

Many of the ones brought into GF often end up in EGF because they now the system pays better in Mimnesota.

They bring "diversity" and that is surely the great panacea.

PS - Until you become a citizen, you're just new, not American.

Never could understand the people who say diversity makes us stronger. Really? ?????

In Minneapolis they have been an excellent source, farm club if you like, for Al-Shabaab and ISIL. Their activities have required the need for additional federal and state/local law enforcement. I guess that's part of what they bring to the table.

In Minneapolis they have been an excellent source, farm club if you like, for Al-Shabaab and ISIL. Their activities have required the need for additional federal and state/local law enforcement. I guess that's part of what they bring to the table.

So why does the federal government keep giving Lutheran social services more and more money to bring these folks over here?

• Upvote 1

Let me be clear, they aren't "new Americans" for the reason I gave above. 

If they want to be "new" something, let's call them what they are: "new immigrants". 

Of course, that makes the rest of us, including Spirit Lake and Standing Rock, the Chippewa, Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara, and the rest of the tribes, "old immigrants*". 

*Humanity began on the African continent. We all wandered here, immigrated, at one point in time or another. 

Let's be clear on this.  Mpls has hardly been an "excellent" source for Al-Shabaab.  That makes it sound like hundreds of boys and men have left to join these organizations and that's just not the case.  Exaggerating the facts does nothing to advance the discussion.

There have been some, yes (but we're probably talking in the neighborhood of a dozen or so), and I join with you in expressing concern regarding anyone who benefits from living here and who decides to go fight for one of those groups.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/immigration/item/20209-thousands-of-somalis-in-minn-spark-fears-of-al-shabaab-terrorists

Despite these assurances, a “perfect storm” of factors has made residents of the Twin Cities apprehensive. These include the fact that the video specifically mentioned the Mall of America, the fact that the threat was made by a Somalia-based terrorist group with a history of deadly violence, and the presence of a large community of Somali refugees in Minnesota.

A 2006 AP report cited statistics from Barbara Ronningen of the Minnesota State Demographic Center, who noted that in 2004, the total number of Somali refugees living in Minnesota was estimated to be 25,000, but (as of 2006) it could have been as high as 30,000. A 2011 Census Bureau estimate raised the number of people of Somali ancestry in the state to more than 32,000.

In response to the fears and to assuage them, a group of Somali Americans went to the Mall of America for lunch on February 24 as a display of confidence that the mall was safe and to make a public statement that they were opposed to the terrorists that have generated concerns about all Somalis. 

WCCO-TV, the Minneapolis CBS affiliate, spoke with Jabril Afyare, the president of Somali Citizens Elite, who sat and ate at the mall while on his lunch break from IBM. “[The terrorists] cannot drive a wedge between the Somali-Americans and the brothers and sisters in our country,” Afyare said. “This is our country.”

WCCO reported that Afyare said that al-Shabaab is seeking to gain publicity by sowing mistrust between Minnesotans and local Somalis, as well as inside the Somali community itself. “I’ve been here 30 years, and I couldn’t just sit here idle and watch this,” Afyare said. “This has to stop, and it’s time we talk the talk and walk the walk.”

“The majority, 99-100 percent of the Somali-Americans, are really peace-loving, civilized and part of this great country,” Afyare continued.

Members of the Somali-American group said they came to stand against al-Shabaab and to stand up for their hometown mall.

By making a public display against terrorists who share their ethnic background, these Minnesota Somalis have set an example worthy of emulation. Their proactive technique to disassociate themselves from the terrorists who have damaged their good names might be successfully employed by other groups faced with the same problem.

You've got a few dozen men out of a community of a few tens of thousands who are wack-jobs and go fight for these terrorist groups.  But that should tarnish a whole community who really do love being here.

Let's be clear on this.  Mpls has hardly been an "excellent" source for Al-Shabaab.  That makes it sound like hundreds of boys and men have left to join these organizations and that's just not the case.  Exaggerating the facts does nothing to advance the discussion.

There have been some, yes (but we're probably talking in the neighborhood of a dozen or so), and I join with you in expressing concern regarding anyone who benefits from living here and who decides to go fight for one of those groups.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/immigration/item/20209-thousands-of-somalis-in-minn-spark-fears-of-al-shabaab-terrorists

You've got a few dozen men out of a community of a few tens of thousands who are wack-jobs and go fight for these terrorist groups.  But that should tarnish a whole community who really do love being here.

Which says nothing of our own native-born "terrorists" who shoot up their own neighborhoods and each other on a daily basis in various cities, and with little protest from their respective "communities". 

Find me a state that has produced more "home grown" terrorists that have tried or are enabling ISIS and the like than MN.

Which says nothing of our own native-born "terrorists" who shoot up their own neighborhoods and each other on a daily basis in various cities, and with little protest from their respective "communities".

agreed

Find me a state that has produced more "home grown" terrorists that have tried or are enabling ISIS and the like than MN.

to be fair MN has 1/3 of the Somali immigrants that live in the US so you would expect 1/3 of the those that choose to join ISIS from the US would be from MN.  whether that number is 3 or 300

• Upvote 1

Many of the ones brought into GF often end up in EGF because they now the system pays better in Mimnesota.

Not true.  While number in EGF has grown it is no where near what GF gets.  There isn't enough apartment housing in EGF.

One thing to also remember is that some of these families are very large.  Think 6-8 kids and then add in other relatives.  I've heard of some living on both sides of the river until enough apartments open.  Also some are waiting for other family members to arrive.

There is a lot of culture issues and assimilation that needs to happen, but hasn't that been the case for most groups that have been the new Americans?