SiouxSports.com Forum

The New Nickname vs. No Nickname Debate Thread

MafiaMan

Everyone has their right to their opinion.  Doesn't mean that every opinion is equally valid.  Concerns that have been brought up about having no nickname are more than just opinions.  They are real issues that need to be brought up.  Concerns with having  no nickname are nothing to be ignored.  They aren't scare tactics.  Just becuase the majority of people want no nickname, doesn't mean that it is the right thing for UND to choose to do.  Names have been dropped from consideration for WAY less than this. 

Whatever, I'm for North Dakota. If that is not cool, then I guess Roughriders and Cavalry, but please please please not Spirit, Pride or other intangibles. Its just embarassing.

First, please don't say "North Dakota". Please say "no nickname", because that's what it is. Semantics? Maybe. But "North Dakota" can not be the nickname as "Dakota" is a tribal name and open to sanction. A blank space (no nickname) is not a tribal name. (It's also not all that marketable, but that's for another day.) 

Secondly, we've heard some theories on why "North Dakota" is on that list. As dagies said, "Because if (Kelley) came out right now and said "I've checked with the NCAA and they said selecting no nickname would satisfy the agreement" there would be such a groundswell that it would destroy the process of selecting an actual nickname." That's one theory. An alternate theory of why no statement would be that by eliminating the no nickname option some quarters would be up in arms that the NCAA is sticking it to UND and forcing UND into something, again. 

Trust me, if we go without a nickname, we won't be called North Dakota or "no nickname".   We all know that Fighting Sioux  will be screamed at every game even more and this disaster will never go away  from us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Everyone has their right to their opinion. Doesn't mean that every opinion is equally valid. Concerns that have been brought up about having no nickname are more than just opinions. They are real issues that need to be brought up. Concerns with having no nickname are nothing to be ignored. They aren't scare tactics. Just becuase the majority of people want no nickname, doesn't mean that it is the right thing for UND to choose to do. Names have been dropped from consideration for WAY less than this.

I don't believe that the majority doesn't want a nickname. I believe it is a very vocal minority.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

The whole process was started and is being dragged out for one reason....to decide on and institute a NEW nickname and not continue just as North Dakota without a nickname. Could I live with just being North Dakota...yes. Will that happen? IMO there is zero chance that is the ultimate result. Think of the outrage from the general public on the waste of time, effort and dollars spent to essentially come up with nothing. I am resigned to the fact that there will be a new nickname ultimately chosen........but one the will cause me to regurgate small amounts of vomit in my mouth every time I hear it.

• Upvote 3

I wonder if anywone on the commitee goes on to siouxsports.com and checks out what people are saying!! :)

They'll probably use the info here, and the online polls to push their own agenda... For example if a few of them want North Stars, they could look at the polls and try to keep a popular name like Roughriders out of the top 3. Or vice versa.

Looking at this site, about 20% of votes cast voted that option.

If 20% is a majority, I need to relearn the definition of 'majority'.

Come on...?

The herald vote is only 25% also, but second place is 15%! Doesn't that make 25% the majority, or has something changed????

A majority is greater than 50%

On this site, Roughriders has the plurality of the vote. A plurality is the most votes, but not a majority of votes.

I believe once the choices narrow, provided they don't involve the least popular ones, we will see a majority rally around one name.

The trend appears to be Roughriders.

A majority is greater than 50%

On this site, Roughriders has the plurality of the vote. A plurality is the most votes, but not a majority of votes.

Ok, I understand this yet another silly argument, but if so many choices are made and 25% of them choices are for North Dakota, and the rest are less than that, that makes it the majority choice......no?

Ok, I understand this yet another silly argument, but if so many choices are made and 25% of them choices are for North Dakota, and the rest are less than that, that makes it the majority choice......no?

Plurality...

Oh, for the love of Sweet Baby Jesus, please tell me you didn't attend UND...

Plurality...

Oh, for the love of Sweet Baby Jesus, please tell me you didn't attend UND...

Ok, I'm willing to bet both of you know exactly what I'm saying, or trying to say! Also that you have a shyt eating grin on your face every time you respond. Majority of THE votes or majority of ALL votes.... Maybe that? Anyway you win, I lose, you're smart I'm dumb!

The majority want a new nickname. The votes are divided up between 14 names.

No nickname is only one vote.

The polls show most people want a new nickname. They just differ what that name should be.

Exactly. Once it narrows down, a clear leader will emerge. I would bet that it will be Roughriders. I wonder if the committee will allow that to happen?

Someone posted here earlier the "experts" advising the committee are pushing the three hawk choices.

So my wild guess is their top three will be one each from three different types of names...

_____Hawks

Abstract concept of choice

Roughriders, Cavalry, or Explorers

If North Dakota makes the cut, who knows......

The majority want a new nickname. The votes are divided up between 14 names.

No nickname is only one vote.

The polls show most people want a new nickname. They just differ what that name should be.

Uhhhh, no - most if not all of the polls allow the selection of more than one option, so there is no way to tell which is each participant's favorite.  Even if only one option was allowed, many may opt for no nickname if their favorite does not make the final list of three, but the no nickname option does.

Uhhhh, no - most if not all of the polls allow the selection of more than one option, so there is no way to tell which is each participant's favorite. Even if only one option was allowed, many may opt for no nickname if their favorite does not make the final list of three, but the no nickname option does.

I would bet that if they pick an abstract thing like "Spirit" a second equally weak candidate and then include a no nickname option in the final three, you'll see no nickname win in a walk.

They would be wise to include a strong nickname candidate like Roughriders to prevent that from happening.

Looking at this site, about 20% of votes cast voted that option.

If 20% is a majority, I need to relearn the definition of 'majority'.

Haha believe me , this forum is a very very very small population. Definitely not representative.

This whole no nickname fiasco is just getting rediculous.  Watever reason you have for no nickname, that's fine.   UND needs a new nickname.  Adopting nothing and continueing like we are now is just a stupid option and should not even be considered.  If you hava problem with that, take your nookie and blankie and go cry home to your mommy.  Wa Wa Wa, we don't like any othe names, Fighting Sioux forever, North Dakota good enough for me, wa wa wa.  Seriously.  Time for everyone to realize that no nickname is the WRONG option moving forward with real consequences down the road.

We are the aggrieved party here - does any sane person (PC zealots are not sane, in case that clarification is needed) really believe the NCAA negotiated in good faith?  Maybe the stubbornness borne from the blood of my Scottish ancestors flowing through me is responsible, but it was the NCAA and their PC zealot allies that picked this fight - if they didn't want it, they shouldn't have picked it.  I fully recognize that I am likely to lose in the end (indeed almost certainly have already lost), but I am not going to yield anything willingly - if the PC bastards want it, I'm going to make them fight for every bit of it, not lay down like some beaten dog - you want to take something from me, you might get it, but I'm going to fight you all the damn way.  This is one (probably the main) reason why I prefer no nickname into perpetuity - even though one will likely be chosen either now or in the future.  I'm not willing to go all the way to a new nickname without a fight.  I think that fight is based on principle and is worth it - and I do not believe going without a nickname causes any harm to UND, its athletes, or its fans - I personally like the new no nickname apparel and have purchased several items.  It's not as appealing as the old Fighting Sioux items, but I prefer it to anything with any other nickname on it and will likely purchase only "UND" items ever again.  New students coming to UND will have to buy something, so they will buy the no nickname items if that is all that is available and if the items were to branded with a new lame name or logo, I do not believe it will benefit sales.  I do not believe fans of UND and its athletics will care less for either if UND were to continue with no nickname.  And at the end of the day, if we are forced at gunpoint to select a new name, I think the current process is converging on an alternative, so this whole process has not been "for nothing", as some contend.  As I say, I believe there is a principle involved, and I believe further that the cost for continuing to fight for that principle is negligible - that being the case, if this process is going too slowly for the NCAA, Bobby Kelley and all the other PC zealots, and that causes them discomfort and makes them unhappy - GOOD - that is entirely what they asked for and I am perfectly willing to provide it.  Some - perhaps many - perhaps even most of you - will think I am being stupid - I don't care what anybody else thinks - I think I am being honorable and no amount of arguing, belittling, cajoling, pleading etc. is ever going to have me think otherwise.

PS - The time to have confronted Kelley was at the time of his response to the "You can take our name but not our pride" sorority sign incident.  At that time he should have been shouted down from all quarters, put in his place and run out of town on a rail.  Instead there was nothing - we should all hang our heads in shame.

• Upvote 2