SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Sports TV Options

siouxfan512

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Anyone have a promo code for nchc.tv?

Price went up to $95 this year for the early bird deal expiring Aug 31st.  I think it's a $5 discount.

This doesn't apply to everyone obviously but I've always paid per game/weekend and never found myself wishing I had paid for the full season package. I go to most every home series though so that could probably tip it over the edge for someone who doesn't/can't attend home games. Just FYI for someone who's deciding whether to jump on the early bird deal.

43 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Anyone have a promo code for nchc.tv?

Price went up to $95 this year for the early bird deal expiring Aug 31st.  I think it's a $5 discount.

I know last year if you emailed them they grandfathered you in with the price from the year before.  I wonder if they'd do that again?  I couldn't find individual school package prices yet.  Not a fan of the pricing increases every single year.

What's the quality of these streaming games, especially the non-UND games?  It would be great to see the Sioux  conference road games as well.  Probably worth the additional $5 to get the Conference Season pass now instead of just the UND pass.

2 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

What's the quality of these streaming games, especially the non-UND games?  It would be great to see the Sioux  conference road games as well.  Probably worth the additional $5 to get the Conference Season pass now instead of just the UND pass.

Short answer... it depends

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Blackheart said:

It feels like the NCHC has been pushing schools to up their streaming quality in the recent seasons. It'd be hard to constantly be at our level as ours are literally broadcast quality. If you are looking to only see the conference games that UND is taking part in (home or away), you can purchase just the UND pass and be good with it. The team-specific pass gets you access to any conference game that team is taking part in home or away...at least that is the way it was in past seasons.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChesterFritz90 said:

It feels like the NCHC has been pushing schools to up their streaming quality in the recent seasons. It'd be hard to constantly be at our level as ours are literally broadcast quality. If you are looking to only see the conference games that UND is taking part in (home or away), you can purchase just the UND pass and be good with it. The team-specific pass gets you access to any conference game that team is taking part in home or away...at least that is the way it was in past seasons.

Good to know, thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Five year extension of Midco deal means limited cable games for years to come.  I get that they do good productions, but I don't like being forced to watch games via live net streaming (and having to pay extra for it).  So, whether or not this is good for fans is definitely questionable.

I really have no problem with the Eversport or NCHC streams. Midco productions are top notch compared to other schools and the streaming quality is generally great.

The one exception was the football game against Idaho state last year. That was a bad stream but they worked the kinks out for all games after that. 

Simple solution is to upgrade your internet package and you should not have any issues. Or if you laptop is 10 years old you might want to invest in something new.

7 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I really have no problem with the Eversport or NCHC streams. Midco productions are top notch compared to other schools and the streaming quality is generally great.

The one exception was the football game against Idaho state last year. That was a bad stream but they worked the kinks out for all games after that. 

Simple solution is to upgrade your internet package and you should not have any issues. Or if you laptop is 10 years old you might want to invest in something new.

That is usually listed as the possible solutions. Upgraded Internet or new pc's may help,  but servers between you and where the stream originates can still cause problems.

The neulion streams, for instance,  came from 1 of 3 servers. Where I used to live,  two of those were very fast,  one was extremely slow,  and caused me problems. The problem was not on my end (copyright Blackheart).

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, sprig said:

That is usually listed as the possible solutions. Upgraded Internet or new pc's may help,  but servers between you and where the stream originates can still cause problems.

The neulion streams, for instance,  came from 1 of 3 servers. Where I used to live,  two of those were very fast,  one was extremely slow,  and caused me problems. The problem was not on my end (copyright Blackheart).

Absolutely, thanks for the server insight. In the past I had some problems with Neulion, but that was when games were streamed directly from the uND website a few years ago. 

55 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Absolutely, thanks for the server insight. In the past I had some problems with Neulion, but that was when games were streamed directly from the uND website a few years ago. 

Those times at UND flipped the switch and turned their servers off, cutting off everyone attempting to watch

Anyone here ever use Roku for live streaming of any other type of event? Just curious as to how well it works and if it is worth the investment over plugging my laptop into the TV. Which works for the most part, but sometimes can be poor quality.

Also, does anyone know what the capabilities are for PS4 or XBox? I believe XBox has a ESPN3 app, but I'm not sure. This would really only be useful for 1 or 2 football games and some of the NCAA Hockey Tourney. Just curious if these machines are capable of more (NCHC.tv or BigSkyTV)

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Anyone here ever use Roku for live streaming of any other type of event? Just curious as to how well it works and if it is worth the investment over plugging my laptop into the TV. Which works for the most part, but sometimes can be poor quality.

Also, does anyone know what the capabilities are for PS4 or XBox? I believe XBox has a ESPN3 app, but I'm not sure. This would really only be useful for 1 or 2 football games and some of the NCAA Hockey Tourney. Just curious if these machines are capable of more (NCHC.tv or BigSkyTV)

Thanks!

Grandkids have been watching lots of stuff with the Hulu and Amazon Prime app on Roku. Works great,  no problems (Century link Internet through dish)

Less hassle than hooking up a notebook every time, but results should be the same

Streams from certain schools have not been as good,  and the schools need to ( and may have already) make them better.  Roku itself can't improve on that. 

The newest roku stick is just $50 and has all apps many use, plus nchc .tv this fall. You have to spend extra to get the roku box that supports 4k UHD