SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Sports TV Options

siouxfan512

30 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

People forget that long ago Tim Hennessy was the noob. So was Hammer, Sweeney, Jack Michaels, Ed Schultz, ... and on and on ... 

Except for Ed, I respect all of those guys, I think they do a great job and are very professional. 

• Upvote 3

Anyone know if MidcoSN is on DirectTV? My father in law said he was switching to DirectTV because it's cheaper and the guy at AT&T told him he can still get und hockey games. I think the guy at AT&T is wrong, but maybe I am. Anyone know for sure?

14 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Anyone know if MidcoSN is on DirectTV? My father in law said he was switching to DirectTV because it's cheaper and the guy at AT&T told him he can still get und hockey games. I think the guy at AT&T is wrong, but maybe I am. Anyone know for sure?

As of now, no MidcoSN is not on DirecTV.  It's highly unlikely they ever will be.  Some UND hockey games can be picked up on Fox College Sports, which airs on DTV. We're still waiting to see how many games MIdco will make available to FCS.

If it's the same as last year, I say we blame the new hockey announcer some more :p

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, KoolGuy2K said:

Don't switch to Directv if you want to watch UND athletics.  Trust me.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Still waiting for an update on whether or not NCHC.tv will be made available through Roku.

The conference is meeting with Neulion soon to discuss any changes to the platform for this coming school year.

3 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

A roku channel would be a huge step forward. Roku is built into many of the tcl tv's which are extremely affordable and I can stream Netflix with lte data flawlessly on mine!

Love my Roku.  And I travel a lot for work so it's great to use at a hotel as well.  Would like to see Big Sky create a roku app as well.

On 7/6/2016 at 10:08 AM, KoolGuy2K said:

The guy at AT&T is not wrong, but he isn't completely right. I work for the company. Midco has majority coverage for UND hockey games, and as said before, CBSSN (which DirecTV does offer) carries a few games here and there. NCHC.tv is a good side subscription for all UND games. That two year price lock with DTV is rad. Pretty much the best reason to jump ship from the expensive Midco cable.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SiouxSherm94 said:

The guy at AT&T is not wrong, but he isn't completely right. I work for the company. Midco has majority coverage for UND hockey games, and as said before, CBSSN (which DirecTV does offer) carries a few games here and there. NCHC.tv is a good side subscription for all UND games. That two year price lock with DTV is rad. Pretty much the best reason to jump ship from the expensive Midco cable.

If you don't mind not having WDAZ/WDAY because of a never-ending contract dispute.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Both can easily be had with an inexpensive antenna.

Although I could not scan in the wday/z mux in south forks with an indoor antenna.  Would have to go to attic or maybe on the roof. Course I just had the best indoor best buy had and never tried something like a db8.

47 minutes ago, sprig said:

Although I could not scan in the wday/z mux in south forks with an indoor antenna.  Would have to go to attic or maybe on the roof. Course I just had the best indoor best buy had and never tried something like a db8.

Yeah it may not be possible with an indoor antenna any more. I lost wday on my setup about a year ago but it hasn't been a big deal because wdaz has come in flawlessly. Prior to a solid antenna I seemed to have the best luck picking up the vhf channels with the old fashioned rabbit ears style antenna with the circle in the middle(cheapest one at wal-mart/Kmart). Remember many of the indoor antennas sold now are uhf only so won't pick up kvrr or wdaz.

42 minutes ago, sprig said:

Does anyone use century link Internet in grand forks?  Is it fast enough for streaming (hockey,  football,  Netflix,  etc)

I don't have century link, but streaming videos in todays standards doesn't require much bandwidth (1.5 mbps for HD...higher is obviously better) vs what the average high speed is (5 mpbs which is about standard cell phone) on LTE (most cell phones) nowadays..

If it claims high speed, I'm sure it'll be fine. All depends on how many people want to watch videos at the same time of course. Midcos highspeed (xstream is about $40 a month for 75 Mbps) have people asking "why would I need that much speed?"...Century link should say how much Mbps and in my opinion you'd want about 5 mbps for each person if you both want to stream HD vids. 

.....short answer is I use a wireless mobile hotspot for my high speed internet through Sprint and have no problem streaming UND Sports & Netflix....so I couldn't imagine a wired "high speed" internet being any less bandwidth than that (but then again, I've tested my mobile hotspot vs some people high speed land lines wifi and mine wins ;)....but all depends on distance (and walls) from the router....speedtest.net is your friend (and "wifi extenders"). 

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I found a tv at Sam's Club that had ROKU built right into it. That could help with NCHC.TV if they go that route. 

Help me understand why ROKU is better than Chromecast?

Roku is a chromecast with apps built into the device? In case those days I want use a up, down, left, right, NES style controller to type words to watch videos?

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Can't u make your current tv a roku tv for about $50?

Yes,  and if you don't need the 4k ultra support,  the $50 stick is the one to get. Or get the older model stick (slower processor but works just as well) for less, 30 at Walmart. Which then makes all your tv's Roku since you can move it from one to another.

55 minutes ago, sprig said:

Yes,  and if you don't need the 4k ultra support,  the $50 stick is the one to get. Or get the older model stick (slower processor but works just as well) for less, 30 at Walmart. Which then makes all your tv's Roku since you can move it from one to another.

The built in roku on the tcl' is pretty sweet. You hit the home button on the remote and you have all channel viewing options right there in front of you. Using my phone as a hotspot that had given me mediocre results watching nchc tv streams roku channels flawlessly. A 40" roku tcl at Amazon is $250 and weighs about10 lbs! You can open apps on your phone and stream directly to your teams use your phone as the remote as well. I've found the small remote is all I need.

not sure how this compares with the plug n play roku's but the built i like the built in. Plus tcl is the top selling tv in China. Just doesn't have brand recognition here...yet.