SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote - which of the final fifteen?

jimdahl

The Final Fifteen poll  

153 members have voted

1. 1. What could you live with? (check more than one)

• Blaze
    • Cavalry
    • Explorers
    • Fighting Green
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Force
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Pride
    • Roughriders
    • Spirit
    • Sundogs
    • Thunderhawks

Something to think about - every opposing fanbase,largely composed of young people, will quickly look up the nickname in the urban dictionary for ideas about how to best humiliate UND fans at the game.

Has nobody on the committee considered this in the context of names like ' rough rider' ?

Looks like compliments to me.

I am wondering how narrowed down the list will be before UND presents the options to the NCAA to see if the remaining names will meet the settlement agreement and get approval from the NCAA.  I have yet to read anywhere that says that this is part of the process.  A good question to ask Goehring.  I would really hoope that they do that before "North Dakota" is overwhelming ly voted for and then we are told by the NCAA that is not an option and then we just fall back on he runner up as our new nickname.

Does anyone have the list of criteria that developed by the first committee?

• Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s;
  • Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion;
  • Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future; and
  • Be a unifying and rallying symbol.
  • Upvote 1

Something to think about - every opposing fanbase,largely composed of young people, will quickly look up the nickname in the urban dictionary for ideas about how to best humiliate UND fans at the game.

Has nobody on the committee considered this in the context of names like ' rough rider' ?

This issue isn't even on the table as far as I'm concerned - it's not fan bases that take it to this extreme - it's a few fans with too much time on their hand. Too much political correctness running amok to worry about what might show up on a sign - do they even allow them anymore? 

Seems reasonably well maintained.

What I noticed:

Of the "no nickname" schools (and the "I don't know if they have one" schools) there's only one playing NCAA Division I athletics without a nickname.

You only get one guess as to whom it is.

Don't have time to look, but I believe Slippery Rock uses Rock, and doesn't have another nickname.

What I noticed:

Of the "no nickname" schools (and the "I don't know if they have one" schools) there's only one playing NCAA Division I athletics without a nickname

Don't have time to look, but I believe Slippery Rock uses Rock, and doesn't have another nickname.

Slippery Rock University, located in Slippery Rock, PA, uses The Rock as their official nickname.  They used to use Rockets, but most people called them The Rock so they changed it.  They have a mascot named Rocky, Pride of the Rock.  He is made of rock but looks like a lion.  This mascot was created in 2007.  A former mascot looked like a rock.  Slippery Rock competes in Division II, not Division I.

• Be unique, recognizable, inspiring, and distinctly UND’s;
  • Promote a sense of pride, strength, fierceness, and passion;
  • Be representative of the state and region in a way that honors the traditions and heritage of the past but also looks to the future; and
  • Be a unifying and rallying symbol.

• Be completely inoffensive to all people, animals and insects.
  • Be immediately forgetable so opposing fans can't hurt the feelings of the hypersensitive.
  • Upvote 2

This unfortunately will always be the problem.   It's CAVALRY!!!!    I actually think Cavalry would be a good name for us, but even our own people can't get it right.

Now you know how the Niagra ... NIAGARA ... University Purple Eagles feel. :D 

I'm thinking using the Slippery Rock model, "The Rock", won't work for UND.

I just don't see the NCAA being good with "The Dakota".

If it were used to like that, it would be in reference to the state of North Dakota. Not the Dakota tribe.

UNDs use of "we are North Dakota", irks some of the NDSU people. If we also said" we are Dakota", that would help tick off the South Dakota schools. It's a win-win for UND in both of the Dakotas

I'm more than a little surprised they ditched "Nokota" while keeping Blaze, Force, Pride, and Spirit.  I thought I recalled a statement at the beginning of the process stating they wouldn't consider some abstract idea or weather phenomenon, because people simply don't relate to them or take any pride in them.

Hopefully these people speak up again, and concepts such as these are removed from consideration, or this committee could do some real damage.

John

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

IMO, Most of these 15 names are pretty un-imaginative. In fact, many of them sound like nicknames for middle schools or WNBA basketball teams and frankly that's not an image I'd care to have for our University.

I hope Roughriders, Cavalry, North Stars, and just plain ole North Dakota get serious consideration. The rest-are disposable.

Regarding "NoDaks" I think we can already agree on the jokes that will be hurled at UND players and fans alike on road trips. Replace the letter "a" with an "i" and there we'll have our new "unofficial" nickname as given by opposing fans to be posted on fan boards, in cheers at opposing barns, etc.

I'm pretty disappointed in how this has evolved. I thought UND, in this nickname search process, would have learned from the mistakes of previous institutions who've been in a similar situation (Marquette).

• Upvote 4

What I noticed:

Of the "no nickname" schools (and the "I don't know if they have one" schools) there's only one playing NCAA Division I athletics without a nickname.

It's not like the Stanford Cardinal or the Harvard Crimson is an imaginative name. There is also the big green. I don't think those can really be called a mascot. I don't have problem with adopting a lame color or thing such as spirit so we can just call the team North Dakota.

If we don't select North Dakota , Calvary, rough riders , or the north stars I really don't think the new name will take hold with the fans.

What the hell is a sundog anyways?

• Upvote 2

It's not like the Stanford Cardinal or the Harvard Crimson is an imaginative name. There is also the big green. I don't think those can really be called a mascot. I don't have problem with adopting a lame color or thing such as spirit so we can just call the team North Dakota.

If we don't select North Dakota , Calvary, rough riders , or the north stars I really don't think the new name will take hold with the fans.

It will take time, but could gain traction in a few years.  We're now out of athletes who wore Sioux logos...

What the hell is a sundog anyways?

A piece of a rainbow from ice crystals instead of water vapor in the air.  AKA the perfect logo if Pride is chosen.

Thought this was interesting the herald is running a poll kind of like ss and 3-4 names lead by a wide margin. North Dakota Roughriders North Stars and Calvary only on the ss one. I would think ss and gfherald readers are a big portion of the UND fan base. Hope all those big market research dollars pick up on that. Give the people the choices they want the most to vote on not some higher ed force fed crap like Sundogs spirit or green hawks.

Based on that this should be the final three to vote. If you wanted just two Roughriders and North Dakota are 1-2 in both polls.

North Dakota

Roughriders

North Stars

Only question would be whether just ND should even be considered. I'll stay away from that as I just thought this was worth pointing out. I don't want to be just ND but it's pretty obvious to me there are 3-4 favorites of fans with 2 top favorites. I'd rather the committee give people what they want to vote on than pride spirit and sundogs. I'll take my market research paycheck now UND.

The only school I know of that doesn't have a nickname other than UND is a small, private women's college in Virginia named Hollins University.  They have about 800 students and compete in DIII.  Not exactly a great role model for a DI school to follow.

Even the University of Phoenix has a mascot....just North Dakota isn't even an option and this committee should be thrown out along with Pride, Spirit, Sundogs, sh*t....the whole list!

Tim Miller tweeted the other day that no one yet has asked if just "North Dakota" is an option.  Seriously??  You are a sports reporter for the Herald?!!  YOU ask the question.  To Kelley, Goehring, Faison, whoever!!  The question needs to be asked if UND officials and the committee have asked the NCAA if being just "North Dakota" with no nickname is allowed.  IMO it directly violates the settlement agreement.  I have yet to year Goehring or anyone in the nickname committee say "We checked with the NCAA and they said being just North Dakota is fine."  YOu would think that at some point before a vote, UND submits all the names left and asks the NCAA if the names are permissable. 

Am I being to logical here?!!

• Upvote 1

Tim Miller tweeted the other day that no one yet has asked if just "North Dakota" is an option.  Seriously??  You are a sports reporter for the Herald?!!  YOU ask the question.  To Kelley, Goehring, Faison, whoever!!  The question needs to be asked if UND officials and the committee have asked the NCAA if being just "North Dakota" with no nickname is allowed.  IMO it directly violates the settlement agreement.  I have yet to year Goehring or anyone in the nickname committee say "We checked with the NCAA and they said being just North Dakota is fine."  YOu would think that at some point before a vote, UND submits all the names left and asks the NCAA if the names are permissable. 

Am I being to logical here?!!

Logic left the room when a "yes" vote came forth for Artic Blaze, Blizzard Dogs, Storm, Wings and Big Green (just to name a few) to comprise the 64 finalists.  You are asking that some actual thought procees that would include reasoning would need to take place in your scenario above..........won't happen!

• Upvote 1