SiouxSports.com Forum

Vote - which of the final fifteen?

jimdahl

The Final Fifteen poll  

153 members have voted

1. 1. What could you live with? (check more than one)

• Blaze
    • Cavalry
    • Explorers
    • Fighting Green
    • Fighting Hawks
    • Force
    • Green Hawks
    • Nodaks
    • North Dakota
    • North Stars
    • Pride
    • Roughriders
    • Spirit
    • Sundogs
    • Thunderhawks

1 North Dakota

2 North Stars - Who cares if it was a prior name we will make it our own, it would catch on for sure. no one cares about that old NHL team. Wild bandwagoners should know

3 Green Hawks - only if we have to- Better come up with a damn cool logo

4 Cavalry - too funny really if you look into the meaning- going from Sioux to Cavalry lmao

5 I might faint if any of the others actually make it, how are those still in play-not a great list

6 pride-blaze-force-spirit-sundogs Can I decommit as a recruit jk

• Upvote 1

IMO there are 14 options......simply being North Dakota at the end of this process has zero chance.

My top 3:

1) Ridas

2) Cavalry

3) Explorers

I immediately excluded anything Fighting &/or Green. I then excluded any name that doesn't end in "s" as those are usually pathetically related to weather, natural occurrences or a emotional feelings.

I could live with one of these 3 with Explorers a distant 3rd.

• Upvote 2

I am surprised they did away with the aviation names.  I thought a couple were interesting.

I've said for years that I think it will wind up being RoughRiders, and I am sticking with that.

I guess my preference amongst the final 15 would probably be Cavalry.

1.  North Dakota - in a landslide - not because I'm a "hockey only" fan (which I am not), but mostly because the rest of the field is so incredibly weak.

2.  Rough Riders  - distant, distant second - it's too bad RRHS felt the need to go with a nickname that had no ties to the city, but was merely alliterative.  To make this clear - it has ties to the state, and UND is a school for the entire state - but not the city, so would be much better for UND than RRHS.

3. Cavalry - mostly because would be poking a middle digit in the eye of the NCAA and all the other PC zealots which are too numerous, nauseating and undeserving to be listed by name.  But does not work with our green and white athletic colors, which should not become yet another victim of this misguided process - and will never be selected due to the very reason I find it attractive.

4.  Explorers - surprised this made it, as it has pretty undeniable connotations to the Lewis & Clark expedition, which of course was the beginning of the end for native domination of the West, therefore will never be allowed by the PC zealots.  I thought "Pathfinders" would have been more unique and marketable, but also likely more undeniably associated with the Lewis & Clark expedition, so odds are that that is why it was axed.  Pathfinders would have been my #2, slightly less distant than Rough Riders.

Any other selection is reason to conclude the fix was in from the beginning, and is strong evidence that we are living in an age of abject stupidity.

I am shocked that this is the best list that this committee could come up with. What a giant waste of time and money! I have always been a supporter of remaining North Dakota, and that choice now rings louder than ever.

The only plausible options on this list are North Dakota, Cavalry and Roughriders. Everything is pretty much a joke. Very surprise the Nokota didn't crack the top 15, or even flickertails.

North Dakota is the only option in my book. Incrediblly weak field for the top 15.

I shouldn't be, but I am. I just can't believe Sun Dogs, Pride, Blaze and Green Hawks are legitimate top 15 candidates.

Not that I was the only Doomsday prepper on the board when this all started, but I was one of the most vocal about what the final choices would be in terms of being PC and completely off the wall.

The only one I am against is leaving it ad North Dakota. We need to move on and as long as we don't have a nickname we won't be

No you're right, Green Hawks or Spirit is way better than what has worked for the last few years. Honestly, staying North Dakota is not about keeping an unofficial name at this point, or not moving on, it is simple the best option out of the sh&%$y list they provided.

Poorly done by the committee as a whole. Wtf is a Green Hawk, and you really believe that Sun Dogs is a better option that North Dakota?!?!?!  WOW

• Upvote 2

"Bridewell said he favored the intangible choices".

Karl said the same thing.

Brace yourselves!

To say I'm surprised by Karl and his approach, thoughts and comments as to this nickname issue is an understatement. I thought he would have been one not to be dragged down the road of the "intangible choices".   

The "academics" love the intangibles because they can then tell you what to think it is.

And when they change their minds, they'll tell you what to think all over again. 

They think we're all mush-headed chumbolones ... like they are. 

• Upvote 2

No you're right, Green Hawks or Spirit is way better than what has worked for the last few years. Honestly, staying North Dakota is not about keeping an unofficial name at this point, or not moving on, it is simple the best option out of the sh&%$y list they provided.

Poorly done by the committee as a whole. Wtf is a Green Hawk, and you really believe that Sun Dogs is a better option that North Dakota?!?!?! WOW

It shouldn't even be an option as its not a nickname. Every other college in the country has a nickname for a very good reason

I wish they would release potential logo designs for the finalists... I am having a hard time imagining a Sundog or Pride logo not being made fun of by opposing fans as being something GLBT related. Unless by Pride we go with some sort of Lion connotation?

• Upvote 3

I wish they would release potential logo designs for the finalists... I am having a hard time imagining a Sundog or Pride logo not being made fun of by opposing fans as being something GLBT related. Unless by Pride we go with some sort of Lion connotation?

Coworker and I just discussed this exact topic. I explained what a sundog is and laughs erupted.