SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kelley Announces Retirement.

Let'sGoHawks!

the timing is interesting since I got this email yesterday:

Recently, a group of UND faculty conducted an opinion survey intended to measure perceptions regarding the President, the Provost, and the Deans.  Three of the four faculty members who developed and initiated the survey—Jim Whitehead, Tom Petros, Kim Kenville and Jim Higgins—shared the results of the survey with me in a meeting last Friday and indicated they plan to make the results publicly available soon.  We wanted everyone to be aware of this.

We will closely review the survey results and will thoughtfully consider how best to move forward.  We also want to fully involve the entire campus community, and, as many of our faculty and students are away, this will be a priority item as the new academic year begins.

Maybe he wanted to beat the "Fire Kelly" thread. 

• Downvote 1

Yeah, now KIAC (Kelley) will have zero accountability when he selects the final name. (Which is Spirit... btw)

I don't know if you have inside info or not, but it appears at least one committee member agrees with you. I sure hope it isn't spirit, pride or some variation of hawk.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3762985-und-committee-cuts-nickname-idea-list-more-half

I don't know if you have inside info or not, but it appears at least one committee member agree with you. I sure hope it isn't spirit, pride or some variation of hawk.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/3762985-und-committee-cuts-nickname-idea-list-more-half

Fire Karl!

.....and anyone who is still on board with Fighting Green.

I don't know if you have inside info or not, but it appears at least one committee member agrees with you. I sure hope it isn't spirit, pride or some variation of hawk.

I have just pieced together a lot of info, pieces of info, noticed some keys he has pointed to in many many many speeches. 》》》》 The total Spirit Campaign??? 《《《

I hate it but I have a gut feeling that it has been decided all along and this is a massive horse and pony show.

Arrogant Intellectuals tend to believe they can make an unpopular choice acceptable; if they can dupe the simple folk into thinking they came to the decision themselves, all along knowing what they were going to do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Personally, believe some big potential donors didn't care for Kelley.

Where is the shiny new School of Business or more athletic upgrades by donors? None of them have materialized in Kelley's regime, only big state budget items or corporate donations.

Just to play devil's advocate, how you do you explain the $330 million or so raised from the Spirit campaign?
  • Upvote 2

Just to play devil's advocate, how you do you explain the $330 million or so raised from the Spirit campaign?

Kupchella was behind a major portion of it during the quiet (before officially announced and kicked off) phase.

Kupchella was behind a major portion of it during the quiet (before officially announced and kicked off) phase.

Good point. And I'm sure there are people who did alter their donations because of Kelley though there are also people who are big fans of him and his wife.

What fruits did Kelley bring to the table, other than career bureaucratic elitist types?

Just because someone pledges, doesn't mean they can't delay it to suit their tastes.

Good point. And I'm sure there are people who did alter their donations because of Kelley though there are also people who are big fans of him and his wife.

25% of people liked Kelley. The majority didn't or were at least ambivalent.

Marcia should have been a bigger face of his term. At least people sensed sincerity with her. Kelley did not come across as genuine.

Last time there was a guy who wanted to get in the race for UND president, but didn't due to ND open recorded laws. I believe he had just become president at Shippensburg. I wonder if he has an escape clause from UNI, if the UND position were to open.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ruud

North Dakota guy and UND alum.

He'll be 63 in January with 2.5 years at UNI. It would be a promotion, but he'd have to work at least five years to change the culture.

North Dakota is a whole different state economically compared to when he left. Curious if he'd take it now.

Hagerott has a chance to put in his own team and actually captain the SBoHE.

Ranking UND presidents of my lifetime (best to not so much):

1. Clifford - in a runaway

2. Kupchella - the man who dared question political correctness and the NCAA

3. Starcher - the Yankton Chief

4. Baker

5. Kelley 

I'll play.................

1. Clifford -  in a runaway
  2. Kelley - Raised a buttload of cash, built great facilities, visible at sporting events, gave the Summit the finger and got us into the Big Sky
  3. Starcher
  4. Baker
  5. Kupchella - Worst of my lifetime and it not close.  He seemed to hate athletics and acted like they were a nuisance.  He stood up for the nickname once, prior to that one time he tried harder than any President to get rid of it.  He set back UND athletics at least a decade by delaying the DI move.
  • Upvote 3

Yup. I'll give Kelley this: 

He could've picked a name July 1 and said, "I'm out August 1." Instead, he rides it the fall semester.

I believe Kelley and/or any UND President is/was required to give a minimum 90 days notice prior to resignation.  So technically he could not have done that.

I believe Kelley and/or any UND President is/was required to give a minimum 90 days notice prior to resignation.  So technically he could not have done that.

OK, so he could've picked something off the committee list last week (June 1) and said, "Ciao!" on September 1. Better? ;)