President Kelley Announces Retirement.

Let'sGoHawks!

Ranking UND presidents of my lifetime (best to not so much):

1. Clifford - in a runaway

2. Kupchella - the man who dared question political correctness and the NCAA

3. Starcher - the Yankton Chief

4. Baker

5. Kelley 

I don't recall Baker or Kupchella doing this as much as President Foxhole.  I didn't always agree with Baker or Kupchella, but for the most part they owned their decisions and defended them.

They did just as much if not more. The UND PR machine back then is the same one that exists now.  

• Upvote 1

Quickly?  This thing couldn't drag out any longer if they tried (though I'm by no means tempting them to get it a whirl).  What exactly is it that you want him to stick around and deal with?  Once the new nickname is in place, there isn't a whole lot more that he will be able to do.  He (nor the new president) will not change any minds that refused to be changed.  Cowardly would be to leave in the middle of the process, which he very easily could have done and with how big of a joke it has become, most people wouldn't have blamed him. 

Man you're good at taking words and spinning them. I no way was I referring to the entire process. "Quickly" in this case, refers to the time following the change of the name to when he's leaving. I want him to stay long enough to answer people's questions about the new name. He's got no accountability here.

We're beating a dead horse. You think it's the right time, I don't. I think it's cowardly, you don't. Oh well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ranking UND presidents of my lifetime (best to not so much):

1. Clifford - in a runaway

2. Kupchella - the man who dared question political correctness and the NCAA

3. Starcher - the Yankton Chief

4. Baker

5. Kelley 

I was at UND when Clifford was president.  You hear the phrase a "player's coach" often...well he was a "student's president". 

Kelley hates students........along with fluffy bunnies, rainbows and RP grinders! (Well the RP reference might be a little bit of an exaggeration)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

They did just as much if not more. The UND PR machine back then is the same one that exists now.  

Seems when anything came up, I remember Kupchella being the "Out of town and unavailable for comment" type.

• Upvote 2

Man you're good at taking words and spinning them. I no way was I referring to the entire process. "Quickly" in this case, refers to the time following the change of the name to when he's leaving. I want him to stay long enough to answer people's questions about the new name. He's got no accountability here.

We're beating a dead horse. You think it's the right time, I don't. I think it's cowardly, you don't. Oh well.

What questions?  He'll be here for the fall semester, guessing any questions people have, they can have answered in that time frame.

What questions?  He'll be here for the fall semester, guessing any questions people have, they can have answered in that time frame.

Yup. I'll give Kelley this: 

He could've picked a name July 1 and said, "I'm out August 1." Instead, he rides it the fall semester.

And accordingly, the new president will never have said the forbidden (by the NCAA) words.

I still say Kelley (older, near retirement age) was brought in to retire the old and start the new. Seems the case. 

On and on and on and on. Yup, you're right. You win this argument of opinions. Can we be done now? Good lord.

hes right! what questions will need be answered?

"How do you spell the new nickname?"

"!@#$ I dono, Kelley left us too soon!"

Lol really? I needed to clarify I meant the selection process and not the actual nickname?

I'd dare argue there's as large (larger?) portion of the fan base that is suffering "nickname fatigue" and they just want a remedy and to actually have the focus be on the players and teams for the first time since 2005. (2000? The mid 1990s? The 1980s? The early 1970s?) 

And I'm definitely in that. I'm all done with it, too. Fair enough. Cut bait is fine, I just don't like the lack of accountability that I see him slithering away from.

Lol really? I needed to clarify I meant the selection process and not the actual nickname?

And I'm definitely in that. I'm all done with it, too. Fair enough. Cut bait is fine, I just don't like the lack of accountability that I see him slithering away from.

Thats fine, but why would there be questions about the selection process?  ONce a name is picked, no amount of pissing and moaning is going to lead to a redo, even if the opponents don't like the process.

I really don't understand the cannibalism that surrounds this university. Fire Kelley, Fire Mussman, Fire Jones, Fire Hakstol, Fire Faison, Fire DiLorenzo, Fire the faculty that take an opposing stand on the nickname, get the nickname thing over with, but don't make a real decision. Why anyone would want to take any position with this university is beyond my understanding, but thank God there are people who will try. What was the last "Fire -------" movement that came out of NDSU? For some reason they seem satisfied with their leadership and allow them to make decisions that have led to great success. It's difficult to lead when you have to be constantly looking over your shoulder to see who is coming after you.

Only three left and none of them are very spectacular at what they do........
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thats fine, but why would there be questions about the selection process? ONce a name is picked, no amount of pissing and moaning is going to lead to a redo, even if the opponents don't like the process.

Does that mean there still won't be questions? No. You're going to tell me that you won't have any questions whatsoever on how this all went down after it's done? Just close your eyes and let it happen? Go for it, but I know most won't feel that way. There will be questions and Kelley should be the one to answer them.

Does that mean there still won't be questions? No. You're going to tell me that you won't have any questions whatsoever on how this all went down after it's done? Just close your eyes and let it happen? Go for it, but I know most won't feel that way. There will be questions and Kelley should be the one to answer them.

I'm not sure what part there is confusion about.  Every step of the process has been publicly explained as far as I can tell.  The only thing that I'm currently unsure of is the exact details on how the final vote will be held, but I'm guessing they are still working through that and it will be explained, just like everything else has, before it is done.

I'm not sure what part there is confusion about. Every step of the process has been publicly explained as far as I can tell. The only thing that I'm currently unsure of is the exact details on how the final vote will be held, but I'm guessing they are still working through that and it will be explained, just like everything else has, before it is done.

Ok

I was at UND when Clifford was president.  You hear the phrase a "player's coach" often...well he was a "student's president". 

Have to agree.  Tom would sometimes buy us drinks at Whitey's or Frenchy's and tell all sorts of great stories. 

Unfortunately, I doubt we'd find another like him, buit I wouldn't mind seeing retired military step into the role.  Most academics are nowhere close to being a "student's president".

It truly is good news.

I've always wanted to get my masters, (don't need it just want it for personal accomplishment reasons).

But I swore I would not A) Increase my champions club giving and B) Pay one cent in tuition until KIAC is gone.

Looks like it's time to take a look at some spring '16 classes.