SiouxSports.com Forum

Nothing happened today in Grand Forks

NoiseInsideMyHead

I am pleased to report that there is nothing newsworthy in Grand Forks that would merit any discussion here whatsoever, let alone on the Community forum.

Thank heavens the moderators are here to protect us from commentary, satire, dark humor, and anything else that might arise if, God forbid, there were anything going on in Grand Forks.

If there had been a newsworthy event, this message would be followed by insightful and perhaps even witty discussion and the free flow of ideas.

Since there is nothing going on, might as well lock this thread, too.

Censorship sucks.

being I am the one who locked that thread i'll take a moment to respond. I'm traveling without a computer and my phone typing skills suck so this will be short. Basically, others have made the points for me. Your post had nothing to do with a discussion and was clearly an attempt to take a shot at Grand Forks. It was crass and insensitive at the least, considering the timing and what was known about the situation at the time. Frankly, I thought about hiding the thread so no one would see it (family or friends of tbose involved, etc.) But decided you should be associated with your comments. Not sure that was the best call but that's the call I made and I stand by it. I think we're all ok here with civil discourse and differences of opinion (see the fire Hak stuff end of season). To your point that others get away with some things from time to time...you may be right but that thread you started wasn't in the "gray area" to anyone who looked at it reasonably.
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

sam-jackson_zpsr6xfc4lk.jpg

Yes, let there be discussion about what would possess someone to perform such an act, then what would possess a person to make light of it.  

Discussion of what happened this morning at Walmart in Grand Forks is timely and worthy of a thread in this forum. 

Making light of the situation, when family members probably haven't been notified yet, much less have any idea of the circumstances, is untimely at best. 

Hmm, making light of a bad situation…what a fascinating concept.  I could swear I've seen such witchcraft and wizardry before somewhere.  Where could that have been?  Umm, umm…oh, I don't know.  The entire freaking internet, maybe?  Have either of you even stopped to think about the role this board alone plays in getting people through difficult times?  Do you even take time to read it?  

How about some thoughtful contemplation before you judge?  Any simple dolt could exploit the raw emotions of the situation and vilify someone for 'making light,' but you're simply being intellectually lazy by dismissing the attempt out of hand.

You're seriously comparing people jawing about administrators and committee members to a double murder.

They're public figures open to public scrutiny. 

And they're not murdered. 

I'm sure that makes the individuals under scrutiny, their families, friends, spouses, children, and parents feel loads better when they read the venomous things spouted here on a daily basis.  And how are volunteer nickname committee members -- clearly doing their best with a difficult situation, and with nothing but love for UND -- public figures deserving of such scorn?  Don't overplay your hand here, boys.  Yes, homicide is an ugly thing, but character assassination isn't a whole lot prettier.

Pretty much some of the lowest classless POS thing to start a thred with, and then another thread to complain about it?

If you cant see that this was below a community standards level, I believe the site really would and should be better off to remove you from it.

Butthurt_3_zpsmcp70n4y.jpg

Let's talk about community standards for a second.  Lowest, classless, POS?  What makes your opinion any more valid than mine.  I think what you are really trying to say is that my original post was in poor taste.  Please show me where being in poor taste violates the forum rules:

Don't

•   No personal attacks, defamation, or libel

•   No profanity or obscenity

•   No racial, ethnic, or sexual slurs

•   No threats or harassment

•   No illegal activities

•   No politics or religion

•   No copyright violations. Do not reproduce entire articles, forum posts, or other content you do not own.

•   No thread hijacking or killing. Do not flood threads with repeated or unrelated posts that interfere with the community's ability to have a discussion.

•   No "Troll" posts. Posts whose sole purpose is to taunt or generate anger are not allowed. Such judgments will be made at the sole discretion of the moderating staff.

•   No posing as someone else (e.g. a player, coach, other forum member, or other known person)

•   No revealing private information about others (without their consent or their having already revealed it)

•   No bandwidth hijacking (e.g. do not directly link to external images)

•   No repetitive posts with links to third-party sites (particularly those for which you are employed or have an ownership interest). Advertising pays the bills, so it would harm our advertisers to allow you to reach the community for free.

•   No private, personal, or off-topic conversations. Messages should be of general interest and about the stated forum topic. Use PM or email for messages intended for a single person or small group of people.

•   No circumventing suspensions (for example, by using alternate accounts or attempting to register for a new account)

•   No misuse or overuse of large images, text styles, emoticons, capitalization, or misspelling. Judgment as to whether the use of elements other than standard text is excessive or with the intent to annoy will be made at the sole discretion of the moderating staff.

•   No deceptive use of multiple usernames.

•   No bumping threads. Do not post in threads for the sole purpose of making them rise to the top of the display. Avoid posting in old threads or responding to old posts without compelling reason.

It's a sense of humor.  It may not be your sense of humor, but since when has that ever mattered.  I'm not asking anyone to laugh or even get the joke, but please respect my rights the same as I do yours.

Sorry, Frozen4sioux, I'm not going anywhere.  (You and the others wouldn't want it any other way.)

I saw no attempt at discussion in the locked thread, or anything that could reasonably be considered commentary.  You could always start another forum for yourself and any others who may disagree...

John

Yeah, funny thing about locked threads.  Hard to have much of a discussion.  (And, for the record, when it was locked shortly after it was started, there were absolutely ZERO down votes -- kind of begs the question why a comment in a 'locked' thread can still be voted up or down.)  Maybe I wanted to simply start the discussion with a topical ice-breaker and included a throwaway graphic for yuks.  Maybe I was interested in seeing how people were reacting to the news.  Heck, maybe I had to step away and take a shower to get ready for work.  Who cares?  Killing the thread was an overreaction, especially when there were so many other options (down votes, criticisms, responses, etc.).

It wasn't the topic, it was how you posted it.  And what you used to post it.  This story is not the proper forum to discuss your dislike of Wal-Mart.

"Dislike of Wal-Mart"?  Now you're just making stuff up.   :)

I wouldn't even waste my breath speaking to him on it...

I just had to point out the obvious to him, since he is too thick-headed to figure it out himself.

Oh, I get it.  Personal attacks on me to teach a lesson about class.  Sorry but I guess I'm just not enlightened like y'all.  

423297_345468868839458_244753448911001_9

I have to say as a long-time visitor to siouxsports.com that I am surprised by the knee-jerk reactions and the thin skin around here.  Think for just a second…(one, Mississippi)…why is it you are so upset?  It must have been all those horrible, cold, and insensitive things I said about the victims, the perpetrator, the survivors and loved ones, Wal-Mart employees, Grand Forks, and gun control, right?  (Six words, people.  Count 'em.  Six.  And a mildly suggestive JPEG.)  Break out the torches and pitchforks!

"Grasping for anything and everything?"  Whether you realize it or not, and like it or not, I'm fighting for all of you.  Hair-trigger moderators confusing taste with "class" and applying dubious standards aren't doing anyone any favors, and the forum suffers.  Nobody on here is hitting a home run every time they post…believe me.

"Take a shot at Grand Forks"?  Under the circumstances, Dagies, I have to question your choice of metaphor…talk about crass, insensitive, and untimely.   ;)  And don't anyone dare to suggest I don't care about this community because you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Oh, and before I forget, the down vote arrow is the red one down and to the right.  In case you forgot.  Since the last time you clicked on this thread.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some baby seals to club.  I'll upload the video here and sell the pelts on eBay.  (I would have preferred to sell them in person at the Wal-Mart on 32nd, but they haven't re-opened yet.)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 13

Hmm, making light of a bad situation…what a fascinating concept. I could swear I've seen such witchcraft and wizardry before somewhere. Where could that have been? Umm, umm…oh, I don't know. The entire freaking internet, maybe? Have either of you even stopped to think about the role this board alone plays in getting people through difficult times? Do you even take time to read it?

How about some thoughtful contemplation before you judge? Any simple dolt could exploit the raw emotions of the situation and vilify someone for 'making light,' but you're simply being intellectually lazy by dismissing the attempt out of hand.

I'm sure that makes the individuals under scrutiny, their families, friends, spouses, children, and parents feel loads better when they read the venomous things spouted here on a daily basis. And how are volunteer nickname committee members -- clearly doing their best with a difficult situation, and with nothing but love for UND -- public figures deserving of such scorn? Don't overplay your hand here, boys. Yes, homicide is an ugly thing, but character assassination isn't a whole lot prettier.

Let's talk about community standards for a second. Lowest, classless, POS? What makes your opinion any more valid than mine. I think what you are really trying to say is that my original post was in poor taste. Please show me where being in poor taste violates the forum rules:

It's a sense of humor. It may not be your sense of humor, but since when has that ever mattered. I'm not asking anyone to laugh or even get the joke, but please respect my rights the same as I do yours.

Sorry, Frozen4sioux, I'm not going anywhere. (You and the others wouldn't want it any other way.)

Yeah, funny thing about locked threads. Hard to have much of a discussion. (And, for the record, when it was locked shortly after it was started, there were absolutely ZERO down votes -- kind of begs the question why a comment in a 'locked' thread can still be voted up or down.) Maybe I wanted to simply start the discussion with a topical ice-breaker and included a throwaway graphic for yuks. Maybe I was interested in seeing how people were reacting to the news. Heck, maybe I had to step away and take a shower to get ready for work. Who cares? Killing the thread was an overreaction, especially when there were so many other options (down votes, criticisms, responses, etc.).

"Dislike of Wal-Mart"? Now you're just making stuff up. :)

Oh, I get it. Personal attacks on me to teach a lesson about class. Sorry but I guess I'm just not enlightened like y'all.

I have to say as a long-time visitor to siouxsports.com that I am surprised by the knee-jerk reactions and the thin skin around here. Think for just a second…(one, Mississippi)…why is it you are so upset? It must have been all those horrible, cold, and insensitive things I said about the victims, the perpetrator, the survivors and loved ones, Wal-Mart employees, Grand Forks, and gun control, right? (Six words, people. Count 'em. Six. And a mildly suggestive JPEG.) Break out the torches and pitchforks!

"Grasping for anything and everything?" Whether you realize it or not, and like it or not, I'm fighting for all of you. Hair-trigger moderators confusing taste with "class" and applying dubious standards aren't doing anyone any favors, and the forum suffers. Nobody on here is hitting a home run every time they post…believe me.

"Take a shot at Grand Forks"? Under the circumstances, Dagies, I have to question your choice of metaphor…talk about crass, insensitive, and untimely. ;) And don't anyone dare to suggest I don't care about this community because you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Oh, and before I forget, the down vote arrow is the red one down and to the right. In case you forgot. Since the last time you clicked on this thread.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some baby seals to club. I'll upload the video here and sell the pelts on eBay. (I would have preferred to sell them in person at the Wal-Mart on 32nd, but they haven't re-opened yet.)

Dude, just admit it. You made an ill timed joke less than 6 hrs after it happened. Take your licks like a man and just apologize. You look like an idiot trying to justify what you wrote. You probably wouldn't have been blasted about the "joke" if you didn't post it so soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hmm, making light of a bad situation…what a fascinating concept.  I could swear I've seen such witchcraft and wizardry before somewhere.  Where could that have been?  Umm, umm…oh, I don't know.  The entire freaking internet, maybe?  Have either of you even stopped to think about the role this board alone plays in getting people through difficult times?  Do you even take time to read it?  

How about some thoughtful contemplation before you judge?  Any simple dolt could exploit the raw emotions of the situation and vilify someone for 'making light,' but you're simply being intellectually lazy by dismissing the attempt out of hand.

I'm sure that makes the individuals under scrutiny, their families, friends, spouses, children, and parents feel loads better when they read the venomous things spouted here on a daily basis.  And how are volunteer nickname committee members -- clearly doing their best with a difficult situation, and with nothing but love for UND -- public figures deserving of such scorn?  Don't overplay your hand here, boys.  Yes, homicide is an ugly thing, but character assassination isn't a whole lot prettier.

Let's talk about community standards for a second.  Lowest, classless, POS?  What makes your opinion any more valid than mine.  I think what you are really trying to say is that my original post was in poor taste.  Please show me where being in poor taste violates the forum rules:

It's a sense of humor.  It may not be your sense of humor, but since when has that ever mattered.  I'm not asking anyone to laugh or even get the joke, but please respect my rights the same as I do yours.

Sorry, Frozen4sioux, I'm not going anywhere.  (You and the others wouldn't want it any other way.)

Yeah, funny thing about locked threads.  Hard to have much of a discussion.  (And, for the record, when it was locked shortly after it was started, there were absolutely ZERO down votes -- kind of begs the question why a comment in a 'locked' thread can still be voted up or down.)  Maybe I wanted to simply start the discussion with a topical ice-breaker and included a throwaway graphic for yuks.  Maybe I was interested in seeing how people were reacting to the news.  Heck, maybe I had to step away and take a shower to get ready for work.  Who cares?  Killing the thread was an overreaction, especially when there were so many other options (down votes, criticisms, responses, etc.).

"Dislike of Wal-Mart"?  Now you're just making stuff up.   :)

Oh, I get it.  Personal attacks on me to teach a lesson about class.  Sorry but I guess I'm just not enlightened like y'all.  

I have to say as a long-time visitor to siouxsports.com that I am surprised by the knee-jerk reactions and the thin skin around here.  Think for just a second…(one, Mississippi)…why is it you are so upset?  It must have been all those horrible, cold, and insensitive things I said about the victims, the perpetrator, the survivors and loved ones, Wal-Mart employees, Grand Forks, and gun control, right?  (Six words, people.  Count 'em.  Six.  And a mildly suggestive JPEG.)  Break out the torches and pitchforks!

"Grasping for anything and everything?"  Whether you realize it or not, and like it or not, I'm fighting for all of you.  Hair-trigger moderators confusing taste with "class" and applying dubious standards aren't doing anyone any favors, and the forum suffers.  Nobody on here is hitting a home run every time they post…believe me.

"Take a shot at Grand Forks"?  Under the circumstances, Dagies, I have to question your choice of metaphor…talk about crass, insensitive, and untimely.   ;)  And don't anyone dare to suggest I don't care about this community because you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Oh, and before I forget, the down vote arrow is the red one down and to the right.  In case you forgot.  Since the last time you clicked on this thread.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some baby seals to club.  I'll upload the video here and sell the pelts on eBay.  (I would have preferred to sell them in person at the Wal-Mart on 32nd, but they haven't re-opened yet.)

I don't see what you're complaining about. You created a topic about a shooting at the Grand Forks Walmart and your first post was a joke, a joke of poor taste. You didn't even mention anything about the shooting, and if there wasn't any information about the shooting at the time you could have just said "there was a shooing at the Grand Forks Walmart." But no, you decided that a joke was appropriate. If I was one of the moderators on here I would have just suspended you for a week like they do to gfhockey from time to time.

Wow, just wow.  I think the Noise Inside Your Head is clouding any rational judgement.  I thought maybe your silence was due to shame from sitting back and taking a look at the whole situation, and then you come back with that retort.  

Hmm, making light of a bad situation…what a fascinating concept. I could swear I've seen such witchcraft and wizardry before somewhere. Where could that have been? Umm, umm…oh, I don't know. The entire freaking internet, maybe? Have either of you even stopped to think about the role this board alone plays in getting people through difficult times? Do you even take time to read it?

How about some thoughtful contemplation before you judge? Any simple dolt could exploit the raw emotions of the situation and vilify someone for 'making light,' but you're simply being intellectually lazy by dismissing the attempt out of hand.

I'm sure that makes the individuals under scrutiny, their families, friends, spouses, children, and parents feel loads better when they read the venomous things spouted here on a daily basis. And how are volunteer nickname committee members -- clearly doing their best with a difficult situation, and with nothing but love for UND -- public figures deserving of such scorn? Don't overplay your hand here, boys. Yes, homicide is an ugly thing, but character assassination isn't a whole lot prettier.

Let's talk about community standards for a second. Lowest, classless, POS? What makes your opinion any more valid than mine. I think what you are really trying to say is that my original post was in poor taste. Please show me where being in poor taste violates the forum rules:

It's a sense of humor. It may not be your sense of humor, but since when has that ever mattered. I'm not asking anyone to laugh or even get the joke, but please respect my rights the same as I do yours.

Sorry, Frozen4sioux, I'm not going anywhere. (You and the others wouldn't want it any other way.)

Yeah, funny thing about locked threads. Hard to have much of a discussion. (And, for the record, when it was locked shortly after it was started, there were absolutely ZERO down votes -- kind of begs the question why a comment in a 'locked' thread can still be voted up or down.) Maybe I wanted to simply start the discussion with a topical ice-breaker and included a throwaway graphic for yuks. Maybe I was interested in seeing how people were reacting to the news. Heck, maybe I had to step away and take a shower to get ready for work. Who cares? Killing the thread was an overreaction, especially when there were so many other options (down votes, criticisms, responses, etc.).

"Dislike of Wal-Mart"? Now you're just making stuff up. :)

Oh, I get it. Personal attacks on me to teach a lesson about class. Sorry but I guess I'm just not enlightened like y'all.

I have to say as a long-time visitor to siouxsports.com that I am surprised by the knee-jerk reactions and the thin skin around here. Think for just a second…(one, Mississippi)…why is it you are so upset? It must have been all those horrible, cold, and insensitive things I said about the victims, the perpetrator, the survivors and loved ones, Wal-Mart employees, Grand Forks, and gun control, right? (Six words, people. Count 'em. Six. And a mildly suggestive JPEG.) Break out the torches and pitchforks!

"Grasping for anything and everything?" Whether you realize it or not, and like it or not, I'm fighting for all of you. Hair-trigger moderators confusing taste with "class" and applying dubious standards aren't doing anyone any favors, and the forum suffers. Nobody on here is hitting a home run every time they post…believe me.

"Take a shot at Grand Forks"? Under the circumstances, Dagies, I have to question your choice of metaphor…talk about crass, insensitive, and untimely. ;) And don't anyone dare to suggest I don't care about this community because you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Oh, and before I forget, the down vote arrow is the red one down and to the right. In case you forgot. Since the last time you clicked on this thread.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some baby seals to club. I'll upload the video here and sell the pelts on eBay. (I would have preferred to sell them in person at the Wal-Mart on 32nd, but they haven't re-opened yet.)

Haha.

Is there a difference between being "offended" and "calling out an internet d-bag for being an internet d-bag"? If there's not, then yes, I'm very, very offended.

No one said you were breaking the forum rules. Pretty sure that's the last thing on anyone's mind after the junk you posted. You broke the rules of being a human.

If this tickles your fancy, go for it, bub. But, don't bring that garbage to a public forum and expect not to be lambasted for it.

SMH... Making light of this situation is just a putrid, sickening portrayal of humankind.

NoiseInsideMyHead, all you have to do is read the reactions to your post/comments to understand why that thread was locked. The responses on this thread overwhelmingly clarify that reasonable people felt your post was out of line. You complain that your thread was unfairly locked because making light of a bad situation happens all over the internet. Maybe, but there is a lot of horrible stuff that is communicated on the internet. This forum may not be perfectly moderated but there's no reason the worst of the internet must be propagated here.

Well there's this in the forum rules:

•   No "Troll" posts. Posts whose sole purpose is to taunt or generate anger are not allowed. Such judgments will be made at the sole discretion of the moderating staff.

And judging by the reactions in this thread, it appears to have generated anger without contributing much else. 

• Upvote 1

The shooters mom:

"My son didn’t pull up at Wal-Mart and shoot people. No way. Sorry,” Ross said. “I don’t believe it. It doesn’t make sense. There has to be something to it, someone else involved.”

This isn't an uncommon reaction.  It is really hard for parents, especially mothers, to accept that their child could do something like this.  It is usually proven to the parents with proof, video in this case.  Hopefully, she will see all affected by this tragedy and be able to move out of denial and start the healing process.

Walmart's are heavily monitored with security cameras inside and out. Will GFPD be releasing that footage at some point? 

Would they release that to general public there? I could see releasing photos leading up to incident, this is common.  Not knowing the graphic nature of the scene, hard to speculate on the release of video.  As stated above, I wouldn't be surprised if the PD offered to confirm with gunman's mother/father, and lawyer.

The news ran a story a couple of days ago where they talked to the woman who was shot in Walmart in GF.

She said the gunman said a word before every shot. But she can't remember the word? A traumatic event like that, most folks will hear that word in their mind forever.

I guess I wonder what the word was. I have my guess at the word(s).

The news ran a story a couple of days ago where they talked to the woman who was shot in Walmart in GF.

She said the gunman said a word before every shot. But she can't remember the word? A traumatic event like that, most folks will hear that word in their mind forever.

I guess I wonder what the word was. I have my guess at the word(s).

Die? What's your guess? Kind of creepy really...

Actually, the brain reacts to trauma in unusual ways - almost as a protective self-defense. It's very possible the witness cannot recall what was said.

• 3 weeks later...

So, where is (as Paul Harvey used to say) "the rest of the story" on this one?

We have detail after detail about the South Carolina killer of nine.

How is it we don't have more information about a US Government employee, a USAF airman, who commits double homocide?

• Upvote 1