SiouxSports.com Forum

Title Nine: Our Prong is Bigger Than Your Prong

Hammersmith

Not sure what misconceptions there is about having the 8th worst women's participation rate out of 347 Division 1 schools.  But I guess they add the caveat "NDSU Offers a wide variety of athletic opportunities for its students at the varsity, club, intramural and recreational levels. NDSU diligently monitors its students’ athletic interests so its athletic offerings can continue to meet its students’ needs."

Weird they feel the need to preemptively defend it...

Not sure what misconceptions there is about having the 8th worst women's participation rate out of 347 Division 1 schools.  But I guess they add the caveat "NDSU Offers a wide variety of athletic opportunities for its students at the varsity, club, intramural and recreational levels. NDSU diligently monitors its students’ athletic interests so its athletic offerings can continue to meet its students’ needs."

Weird they feel the need to preemptively defend it...

Whats weird is your need to try and find fault where their isnt any.  What ever puffs your cheeto. :whistling::)

NDSU has the 8th worst ratio in all of Division (347 schools).

Two of the seven worse than NDSU? Virginia Military Institute (VMI) and The Citadel. Both were all male schools not that long ago.

I guess I just don't understand how NDSU's surveys don't find interest in womens tennis and womens hockey. NDSU's club teams do fairly well in those.

I guess I also don't understand why a public land grant would want (be proud of?) a ratio that looks more like 1975 than 2015.

NDSU has the 8th worst ratio in all of Division (347 schools).

Two of the seven worse than NDSU? Virginia Military Institute (VMI) and The Citadel. Both were all male schools not that long ago.

I guess I just don't understand how NDSU's surveys don't find interest in womens tennis and womens hockey. NDSU's club teams do fairly well in those.

I guess I also don't understand why a public land grant would want (be proud of?) a ratio that looks more like 1975 than 2015.

As someone who has taken 5 of those surveys, it asks what level of competition you are interested in competing in.

Maybe the girls are interested in playing at the club level rather than varsity. No idea. That'd be a question for NDSU.

As someone who has taken 5 of those surveys, it asks what level of competition you are interested in competing in.

Maybe the girls are interested in playing at the club level rather than varsity. No idea. That'd be a question for NDSU.

How are the questions asked? There are some details that could be left out or not discussed that make staying at the club level equally appealing.

Whats weird is your need to try and find fault where their isnt any.  What ever puffs your cheeto. :whistling::)

Then why the preemptive defense?  I haven't seen any other school put out a disclaimer like that. I know they use different prongs, but the U of M is getting investigated and their participation rate for women far exceeds NDSU.  Are you saying a ratio of 2.2 opportunities for men for every 1 opportunity for women is something to be proud of?

Yes, I'm sure scholarships and not having to pay for their own equipment and travel is something they definitely would not be interested in.

Then why the preemptive defense?  I haven't seen any other school put out a disclaimer like that. I know they use different prongs, but the U of M is getting investigated and their participation rate for women far exceeds NDSU.  Are you saying a ratio of 2.2 opportunities for men for every 1 opportunity for women is something to be proud of?

Yes, I'm sure scholarships and not having to pay for their own equipment and travel is something they definitely would not be interested in.

What we're proud of is the overall excellence of all our women's programs.  If you're satisfied with a lot of programs which are mediocre at best and not really supported by the athletic dept because they lack funding fine.  

What we're proud of is the overall excellence of all our women's programs.  If you're satisfied with a lot of programs which are mediocre at best and not really supported by the athletic dept because they lack funding fine.  

Title IX is about opportunities, something NDSU feels no need to offer at a proportionate rate for women.  But whatever helps you actually avoid the issue.  129 women vs. 282 men.  Participation rank of 340 out of 347 Division 1 schools.  Those are facts.

What we're proud of is the overall excellence of all our women's programs. If you're satisfied with a lot of programs which are mediocre at best and not really supported by the athletic dept because they lack funding fine.

Mediocre at the DI level verses excellence at the club level is different, if you didn't know that why not drop women's basketball and volleyball to the club level since those programs are horrid at NDSU.

Mediocre at the DI level verses excellence at the club level is different, if you didn't know that why not drop women's basketball and volleyball to the club level since those programs are horrid at NDSU.

Darell, Darell, Darell  ???:whistling:

How are the questions asked? There are some details that could be left out or not discussed that make staying at the club level equally appealing.

Select which of the following sports you participate in or would participate in?

At what level would you be interested in participating?

-intramural

-club

-varsity

Questions similar to that

Select which of the following sports you participate in or would participate in?

-intramural

-club

-varsity

So no mention of scholorships, no pay to play, competing in conference tournaments?  Plus, the survey is asking people who likely wouldn't play at the D1 level.  If they were truely given an option to compete varsity vs. club and all other things were equal,  including playing time, which do you think they would pick?

There are likely other holes that could be put in that survey if someone had the interest in poking hard enough.

-intramural

-club

-varsity

Is this really how they do it?  If someone truly believed they were capable of playing D1 in ___ sport, I doubt they'd be paying to go to ndsu and play intramurals.  If no varsity women's sports were offered at ndsu, I'm guessing the surveys would then show litte/no interest in varsity softball/basketball/etc. because those interested are going to school and playing elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Is there anything you enjoy doing that you don't want to take to the next level? You like playing with your car? OMG U TOTALLY DESERVE AND WANT TO BE A MECHANIC.

You like to play video games online? YOU CAN TOTALLY TAKE THAT TO THE NEXT LEVEL AND GO PRO.

That's my take on it.

So no mention of scholorships, no pay to play, competing in conference tournaments? Plus, the survey is asking people who likely wouldn't play at the D1 level. If they were truely given an option to compete varsity vs. club and all other things were equal, including playing time, which do you think they would pick?

There are likely other holes that could be put in that survey if someone had the interest in poking hard enough.

I didnt pay much attention while doing the survey. It may mention that other stuff. Can't recall. I'll take a look and see if I can get my hands on it when I get home from work today.

I have a couple questions about the surveys:

1)  How many surveys are handed out, and to whom are they given to?

2a & 2b)  How many students who responded "Varsity" as their preferred level of competition would it take to require NDSU's Athletic Department to support that sport at the varsity level?  If eight female students responded to the survey wishing they offered varsity tennis (which would be enough to field a team), at this point wouldn't NDSU be required to add the sport, even if the overall percentage of students who responded the same was quite low?

I have a couple questions about the surveys:

1) How many surveys are handed out, and to whom are they given to?

2a & 2b) How many students who responded "Varsity" as their preferred level of competition would it take to require NDSU's Athletic Department to support that sport at the varsity level? If eight female students responded to the survey wishing they offered varsity tennis (which would be enough to field a team), at this point wouldn't NDSU be required to add the sport, even if the overall percentage of students who responded the same was quite low?

1. Survey goes to everyone.

2. No idea