SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Football Expectations

UND-FB-FAN

In this article outlining the hiring of Brad Berry as Hakstol's replacement, Faison is quoted saying "....best men's hockey program in the country..."

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3747202-live-stream-1-pm-hakstol-leaves-und-coach-flyers-berry-be-named-next-head-coach

So much for being politically correct. I've never once heard Faison say as much as he aspires for UND football to be "one of the top FCS programs in the country". It's quite unfortunate in my opinion; at least set expectations a bit higher for football relative to where they are now from a department standpoint.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I like how in the GF Herald's article outlining the hiring of Brad Berry as Hakstol's replacement, Faison is quoted saying "....best college hockey program in the country..."

So much for being politically correct. I've never once heard Faison say as much as he aspires for UND football to be "one of the top FCS progeams in the country". It's quite unfortunate in my opinion; at least set expectations a bit higher for football relative to where they are now from a department standpoint.

Doesn't mean he won't. Obviously today was focused around hockey and there is already some success to build on. Let just focus on getting UND into the plays before we focus on being the BEST IN THE COUNTRY.

I understand the frustration, but there has to be some understanding as to which program draws from attention from fans and which program draws more income. That being said, I really do want to see UND football get bigger and get better.

Doesn't mean he won't. Obviously today was focused around hockey and there is already some success to build on. Let just focus on getting UND into the plays before we focus on being the BEST IN THE COUNTRY.

I understand the frustration, but there has to be some understanding as to which program draws from attention from fans and which program draws more income. That being said, I really do want to see UND football get bigger and get better.

Your last line is all I'm focusing on. I don't expect UND football to surpass UND hockey in revenue generated anytime soon, if ever, but I want more focus and emphasis on the football program, particularly with expectations from "the top". There's no reason UND football can't be as successful as teams like Northern Iowa and Montana State every season.

Lastly, I will mention that I believe Bubba has UND football going in that direction.

It is "....best men's hockey program in the country..."

Nothing in the prior statement prevents or precludes UND Football from achieving similar status.

True, I just haven't heard Mr.Faison ever say, in the press or at alumni/booster events, that he expects UND football to become one of the best in the country.

I ultimately believe that Bubba has UND doing the things necessary to become one of the best programs in the Big Sky Conference, but I just want a bit more support from UND's athletic department itself.

Your last line is all I'm focusing on. I don't expect UND football to surpass UND hockey in revenue generated anytime soon, if ever, but I want more focus and emphasis on the football program, particularly with expectations from "the top". There's no reason UND football can't be as successful as teams like Northern Iowa and Montana State every season.

Lastly, I will mention that I believe Bubba has UND football going in that direction.

Totally agree with you. Not unreasonable for us to get into a position where we are like Northern Iowa or MTST. I think we would have been much quicker without Mussman. I totally agree that Bubba is on the right track.

As for Faison, he is a businessman. Has to run his business, and prioritize his focuses. Football has gotten more attention, and will continue to get more attention as it becomes more of a competitive factor. Your comments just came across as somewhat bitter. No need, UND football will get there! Definitely a big fan of what Bubba is doing.

Really wish there was a way to get a new stadium on campus. Unfortunately, I have not hit that BIG BIG lotto ticket yet.

In this article outlining the hiring of Brad Berry as Hakstol's replacement, Faison is quoted saying "....best men's hockey program in the country..."

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3747202-live-stream-1-pm-hakstol-leaves-und-coach-flyers-berry-be-named-next-head-coach

So much for being politically correct. I've never once heard Faison say as much as he aspires for UND football to be "one of the top FCS programs in the country". It's quite unfortunate in my opinion; at least set expectations a bit higher for football relative to where they are now from a department standpoint.

I think with the hiring of Bubba and the building of the IPF Faison is doing things for UND football to get on the right track to be a winner, now what has Faison done for UND basketball? From coaching to video boards to getting an updated Big Sky logo it's safe to say Faison is ignoring that sport compared to hockey and football.

• Upvote 1

I'm getting old, but didn't some type of state hiring requirements contribute to why the Bubba hire dragged out so long?  How was the hockey job filled so quickly?

If you fill jobs internally, it doesn't take all that long.  Internal candidates get first crack at openings before anyone on the outside.

Not sure why you are bitter about the hockey program.  As far as I can see, the main obstacle for football dominance was Muss and I would point out that he had some vocal supporters on this board until things went south at the very end.  We have Bubba now, and as far as I can see he has been given pretty much free reign.  In addition, we are soon moving into our new indoor practice facility.  UND hockey was the best program in the country before they moved into the New Ralph - hell they won a couple of championships playing in the Barn.  It's up to the football players and coaches to make themselves the best program in the country.  Blaming hockey for their success is just plain silly.  

• Upvote 3

I'm getting old, but didn't some type of state hiring requirements contribute to why the Bubba hire dragged out so long?  How was the hockey job filled so quickly?

fs4l, is correct. It was two completely different scenarios. When you have a program that is rolling on all eight cylinders (albeit no recent natty) and you have a highly, if not overqualified heir apparent, North Dakota law permits you to hire immediately instead of having to wait the 30 days, or whatever, for the external HR process to play out. As for Bubba Schweigert's hiring, as we know, the football program did not have the internal candiate waiting in the wings, thus the need for the long, public hiring process. NDSU was able to do things the quick way with its recent football and basketball transitions because it felt it had the right guys already on staff. 

fs4l, is correct. It was two completely different scenarios. When you have a program that is rolling on all eight cylinders (albeit no recent natty) and you have a highly, if not overqualified heir apparent, North Dakota law permits you to hire immediately instead of having to wait the 30 days, or whatever, for the external HR process to play out. As for Bubba Schweigert's hiring, as we know, the football program did not have the internal candiate waiting in the wings, thus the need for the long, public hiring process. NDSU was able to do things the quick way with its recent football and basketball transitions because it felt it had the right guys already on staff. 

I see.  So the distinction in the law applies to whether or not the candidate is already on staff (state employee).

• Upvote 1

Enough with the inferiority complex! Let Bubba do his thing. Football has it's new training facility that was funded with public $'s. Football is in its position due to one main reason, the hiring of Chris Mussman. Not the fact that Faison says we have the best hockey program in the country. Give it a rest. The basketball team sucks for similar reasons as I understand.

Football has it's new training facility that was funded with public $'s.

Did I miss something?  Athletic buildings can not be funded with public funds, they must be done with private donations.

Clarification: The UND Foundation did bond a portion of what was left to be raised so they could get shovels in the ground, however the funds are guaranteed by the Foundation and repaid by the athletic department.  No public funds there either.

• Upvote 2

Enough with the inferiority complex! Let Bubba do his thing. Football has it's new training facility that was funded with public $'s. Football is in its position due to one main reason, the hiring of Chris Mussman. Not the fact that Faison says we have the best hockey program in the country. Give it a rest. The basketball team sucks for similar reasons as I understand.

I think the SBHE and the Legislature have to give UND permission to build stuff like this, but it is being funded via private donations.

Not sure why you are bitter about the hockey program.  As far as I can see, the main obstacle for football dominance was Muss and I would point out that he had some vocal supporters on this board until things went south at the very end.  We have Bubba now, and as far as I can see he has been given pretty much free reign.  In addition, we are soon moving into our new indoor practice facility.  UND hockey was the best program in the country before they moved into the New Ralph - hell they won a couple of championships playing in the Barn.  It's up to the football players and coaches to make themselves the best program in the country.  Blaming hockey for their success is just plain silly.  

I didn't see it as bitter, just would be nice to have a broader approach to top programs across the board at UND.  I am not blaming hockey.........

From conversations I've had, private funding has to be 100% available on all phases of the indoor facility before construction starts. (public funds???)

The only problem I have with hockey is fans with a superiority complex.

• Upvote 2

I didn't see it as bitter, just would be nice to have a broader approach to top programs across the board at UND.  I am not blaming hockey.........

From conversations I've had, private funding has to be 100% available on all phases of the indoor facility before construction starts. (public funds???)

The only problem I have with hockey is fans with a superiority complex.

You don't think that UND fans would have a superiority complex about football if they did what the Bison are doing.  Fans are just waiting for them to put up championships so they can display that pride factor like many Bison fans.  We can brag all we want about the head to head comparisons with the Bison, but in the end, it is all about the hardware.  

You don't think that UND fans would have a superiority complex about football if they did what the Bison are doing.  Fans are just waiting for them to put up championships so they can display that pride factor like many Bison fans.  We can brag all we want about the head to head comparisons with the Bison, but in the end, it is all about the hardware.  

I think pride is different than having a complex about success on the field or even in business or your personal life.  Point is, you can have pride without being an arrogant prick.

Not sure why you are bitter about the hockey program. As far as I can see, the main obstacle for football dominance was Muss and I would point out that he had some vocal supporters on this board until things went south at the very end. We have Bubba now, and as far as I can see he has been given pretty much free reign. In addition, we are soon moving into our new indoor practice facility. UND hockey was the best program in the country before they moved into the New Ralph - hell they won a couple of championships playing in the Barn. It's up to the football players and coaches to make themselves the best program in the country. Blaming hockey for their success is just plain silly.

My comments were not bitter towards the hockey program; not quite sure how you came to that conclusion. My issue, although minor, is with UND's administration, which emphasizes hockey to the point where they forget about football and basketball. Have you looked at the BSC rankings and records for UND? Have you looked at the attendance of UND football and basketball recently? They are not acceptable.

I couldn't agree more that Bubba is the perfect head coach for UND and that the High Performance Center will help things in recruiting and preparation; however, that does not preclude the fact that Faison tends to overlook football and that is what bothers me.

Here's to a great 2015 football season! Go UND!

Exactly! You prove my point! If Faison was committed to UND football and basketball, he would make the necessary changes rather than sit on losing seasons. The argument can be made that Mussman should have been fired a year or two earlier; that is, if Faison had not extended Mussman for no established, confident reason at all. Also, why does Brian Jones still have his job then, if he is the core reason for UND MBB's mediocrity? All of this is because Faison values the hockey program, and all the other, lesser revenue-generating programs are on cruise control with very little thought or ingenuity involved from the top.

Bubba is the best thing to happen to UND football in quite some time, mainly because he will lead the program with solid expectations and hard work, which ultimately will get UND football to where it should be (like I mentioned earlier; a team that consistently wins at the FCS level, like Montana State or Northern Iowa). Faison just seems indifferent on the whole football/basketball thing, which is discouraging.

Or better yet, Mussman should never had been hired in the first place. That is why I lost interest in the football program during his regime. This has been my problem with the ADs office for some time. They never went out of their comfort zone to hire an "outsider". Saying that, I am happy that they hired Berry. Hiring him at this juncture of the hockey program is a no-brainer. Conversely, Mussman's hiring was a joke. A friend of mine who played during the early 90's asked me why I quit following the football team during Muss' second or third season. My response was.......as soon as UND starts taking football seriously, I would once again take UND football seriously. That didn't happen until a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, the damage was done and Bubba will need a year or two more to clean the Muss that was left for him.

Hockey will always be the #1 sport at UND as long as it is successful. It is just the way it is, mostly because of its tradition of being an elite program. It also doesn't hurt that GF is a hockey town. However, when football becomes relevant again, people will rally around them. The good news is Bubba seems to be on the right track.

• Upvote 1

Exactly! You prove my point! If Faison was committed to UND football and basketball, he would make the necessary changes rather than sit on losing seasons. The argument can be made that Mussman should have been fired a year or two earlier; that is, if Faison had not extended Mussman for no established, confident reason at all. Also, why does Brian Jones still have his job then, if he is the core reason for UND MBB's mediocrity? All of this is because Faison values the hockey program, and all the other, lesser revenue-generating programs are on cruise control with very little thought or ingenuity involved from the top.

Bubba is the best thing to happen to UND football in quite some time, mainly because he will lead the program with solid expectations and hard work, which ultimately will get UND football to where it should be (like I mentioned earlier; a team that consistently wins at the FCS level, like Montana State or Northern Iowa). Faison just seems indifferent on the whole football/basketball thing, which is discouraging.

I would argue that Roger Thomas was the Athletic Director that hurt UND football the most by using the wait and see approach, rather than being proactive like NDSU.  We had gone ahead of them in football, now look at where the programs are at.