SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Hakstol's Replacement

NoiseInsideMyHead

Some of you are forgetting UND's open records hiring process. Anyone who applies will have their name in the paper right away. This might hurt UND from getting certain candidates to apply. I know that was the case with the football search. 

Anyone who is a current head coach in college will probably be very sceptical of applying unless they think they can get the job based on how it could effect their current job. 

Here are some names for everyone.

Top Choices

Dave Tippett Why don't we steal one back from the NHL? 

Enrico Blasi ( I know this guy doesn't have UND connections but he is a fantastic coach. Not sure if he could be taken from Miami but Faison should give him a call.)

Sandelin

Jackson

Berry

Next Tier

Eades

Blais (Not sure how many years he has left)

Darkhorses

Frank Serratore

Mike Hastings

Gwoz

Mike Eaves

The difference is the hockey job is a consensus top 5 job in the country while the football job is at best a mid level FCS job. Coaches are probably a little bit more willing to throw their name in the hat even if they know it will be reported when it is one of the top jobs. I don't think it will matter anyway as I would guess Berry will be named coach before the end of the week. 

EDIT: Looks like it will be before the end of the day, press conference at 1 and Schloss reporting it will be Berry. 

Here's to hoping Faison doesn't take the quick easy way out.

Will Hakstol tell UND they should hire Berry thus ensuing he gets the job?

Well that was fast...unfortunately.

Good luck Brad Berry.

Bring Back Hakstol.

For all the grumbling about the horrible job Hak (and his staff, by default, since they essentially work for him) has done in big games since he became coach, the best UND can do is to make the quickest decision possible and promote from within?

So did some players just wake up and realize they lost and replaced their head coach while they were sleeping.

That's what it sounds like. A few players have tweeted and said they are shocked by the news. If true what a crappy way to do it with the players.

That's what it sounds like. A few players have tweeted and said they are shocked by the news. If true what a crappy way to do it with the players.

No, you have to keep this tight to the chest. Younger (more immature) players may not realize this but the more mature players will realize this.  All the players love Berry, hopefully Boeser doesn't bounce.

45+ days to hire Bubba...........45 minutes to decide on Berry.   Only at UND.........only w BF.

Leaving timely uncertainty is not good when you have the caliber of recruits and players that we have. They could go elsewhere.

Which players?  I saw a single comment earlier that has since been deleted.  Not sure I believe Buccigross's tweet.

EDIT: And now Buccigross's tweet has been deleted as well.

Short term vs long term success.

Agree 100%. "We gotta keep the recruits" should NOT have been the primary reason to make a knee-jerk panic hire. Brad Berry may very well have been the best candidate for the job, but an interview/selection process would have shown that.

• Upvote 2

Good luck to Hak and to Berry. My hope is this was all set up over the last few days not the last few hours. Brad is a seemless transition that will put the current and future players more at ease, but is it worth it in the long run? Time will tell if this was the right move or not but moves like this are the status quo for UND. We are very inbred when it comes to hiring hockey and football coaches.

Being shocked that he's leaving is not the same as he didn't tell them before it happened.

Agree 100%. "We gotta keep the recruits" should NOT have been the primary reason to make a knee-jerk panic hire. Brad Berry may very well have been the best candidate for the job, but an interview/selection process would have shown that.

I think it may very well be both.

He's a good coach. Being at the NHL level is no joke. We'll find out.

• Upvote 1

if the UND administration has watched the coaching staff for the last few years and knew they had a perfect replacement if Hak every left or God forbid was ever hit by the gobc bus while crossing Columbia, then it's not a big deal, to me, if they didn't go through a protracted search process.

I understand everyone's definition of "perfect replacement" may be different, but to me that would make this quick move understandable.   And from what I've heard Berry is a good choice.

Like with most recruits, while find out how good of a decision it is over time.  But I'm fine with it.

• Upvote 1

45+ days to hire Bubba...........45 minutes to decide on Berry.   Only at UND.........only w BF.

External hire vs. Internal hire.

Different processes. 

Being academia, the internal hire process is more like a "union shop": next fully qualified guy gets the inside lane to the position.