SiouxSports.com Forum

Online Students?

The Sicatoka

I am currently completing my Masters online through another school. I looked at UND because that is where I got my undergraduate from but in the aviation department online courses are lacking. I think online classes through UND could be greatly expanded if that is a direction the University wants to take.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

I am currently completing my Masters online through another school. I looked at UND because that is where I got my undergraduate from but in the aviation department online courses are lacking. I think online classes through UND could be greatly expanded if that is a direction the University wants to take.

They’d be fools not to just from a business standpoint.

You just have to look at what Arizona State has done to understand the potential. 

“When President Crow took over 15 years ago at ASU, they were receiving 65 percent of their funding from the state of Arizona -- and today they receive 9 percent,” Burgum said. “What (Crow) described ... was that they went from an agency model where, if you’re an agency, you’re like any other agency and you kind of become like a ward of the state. You go to Bismarck, in our case, every two years, and you say, ‘I’ve got these needs,’ but everyone else does too.” ...

Such partnerships are one of the hallmarks of ASU. The Arizona school is one of the largest in the country and started out this academic year with more than 100,000 enrolled students, about 30,000 of whom are online-only. University leaders say their recent growth is on track to meet a 2025 growth target of 125,000 enrolled students.

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/burgum-touts-outside-funding-model-for-universities/article_2a9b1921-17ba-5617-9bea-56e6fda7f3e8.html

One big risk to UND with the online expansion is the potential for the state to stop paying UND for online credits.  There is little/no benefit to the state to subsidize the online education of someone in CA who never sets foot in ND.  UND will eventually need to charge enough to cover all costs.

Just now, UNDBIZ said:

One big risk to UND with the online expansion is the potential for the state to stop paying UND for online credits.  There is little/no benefit to the state to subsidize the online education of someone in CA who never sets foot in ND.  UND will eventually need to charge enough to cover all costs.

Yes, but what are UND's costs compared to schools around the country? 

What does Pearson offer that UND can't do itself?  How many more online students is this deal going to get UND?

Is this worth giving Pearson over 50% of revenues?  What expenses does Pearson have to pay that benefit UND?

Does anybody have experience with how exactly Pearson operates in regard to a deal like this?

Are current programs that are offered online affected by this deal or only new ones?

"The point of teaming up with an OPM like Pearson is largely to take advantage of the company's expertise in marketing and student recruitment. Holm said the company also works with faculty members to work their curricula into digital formats that Pearson has found to work best with online students."

• Upvote 1

Holm said, the education company will take a 62 percent share of revenues generated from the UND courses.

That share drops by 2 percent every two years until the agreement hits the 6-year mark. For the remaining four years of the deal, Pearson's take is set to 56 percent.

That's a lot of money for marketing and student recruitment.