SiouxSports.com Forum

279 of 280?

The Sicatoka

I heard about this recently and was stunned by the experience Trail King has had with workers in South Dakota (Mitchell) and North Dakota (Fargo). 

(Trail King) hired 280 production workers last year between his plants here in South Dakota and up in Fargo. Assemblers, painters, welders -- most of them fell into that age group that was born between 1978 and 1997.

The generation he and I raised.

So get this -- of the 280 new hires, only one remained on the job a year later.

"We lost 279 of them," he said. "Mostly because of work ethic issues."

http://www.argusleader.com/story/ourchangingcity/2015/05/05/workforce-development-yakley-trail-king/26913199/

And the follow-up story:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/ourchangingcity/2015/05/06/trail-king-yakley-millenials-workforce/70879616/

Seems to be a bit of truth on both sides here.  If 279 of 280 people you hired are quitting, there is something wrong with your company.  Period.  

On the other hand, like Edway said above, the people that he is hiring for these positions are probably not used to working hard on a production line.  

Any manager that says baloney to workplace issues when 279 out of 280 people quit, obviously he has his head up his narcissistic butt.

Millenialials want a workplace that is joyful and fun, above all. They won't tolerate slave drivers. If they know management is behind them, they will mostly work their butts off.

• Upvote 4

Looks like yakley needs to wake up and see that he very well could be the issue. Haven't even read the update from the ex employee who says its a bad place to work but when you only keep 1 employee of 280 hires over a year and blame it on the "entitlement generation" instead of looking at other factors, maybe your attitude as the CEO is the problem. Sounds like this dufus has a sense of entitlement to find good employees he can treat as slaves. He sounds like a failure to me. Wonder what this loser is paid?

• Upvote 1

Read the update. This idiot yakley has no business running any company.

Note to self....if I ever am desperate for a job, choose Burger King over trail king.

Here's some more reading if you need further confirmation of how much of a waste of space yakley is. How this guy keeps his job is beyond me!

http://madvilletimes.com/2013/02/citizen-ceo-butt-heads-on-obama-corporate-welfare/

I do find it interesting that the CEO took some of it on himself, at least the entitlement parenting he believes is the issue.

I ran the numbers in the story. With quarterly profit sharing you're over $14. If you have a referral that puts it over $15. And that assumes no OT at any point.

I do find it interesting that the CEO took some of it on himself, at least the entitlement parenting he believes is the issue.

I ran the numbers in the story. With quarterly profit sharing you're over $14. If you have a referral that puts it over $15. And that assumes no OT at any point.

It sounds like they tried to bring in a bunch of transient workers.  Transient workers tend to be.... transient, especially with an oil boom going on 8 hours away.  $15/hour doesn't cover gfhockey's Tuesday afternoon bar tab.

• Upvote 2

It sounds like they tried to bring in a bunch of transient workers.  Transient workers tend to be.... transient, especially with an oil boom going on 8 hours away.  $15/hour doesn't cover gfhockey's Tuesday afternoon bar tab.

Even with his volume discount? 

• Upvote 1

I've never met the guy in the article, so I can't comment on him.

$15 an hour, for someone with no advanced schooling, is a pretty good wage in the Fargo area.  I don't work for Trail King, but see a lot of applications of their former workers.  What you may not fully understand if you're not in this particular job market, is that we are now reduced to hiring the unemployable.  The stories I could tell you about cheating on drug tests (if they even show up for them), the no-call, no-shows, the people who can't stay off their cell phones and wander off every couple of minutes from their stations...  I could go on for hours.  I was interviewing 5 people for an opening last week, and 2 didn't even bother to show up to the interview.  Background checks now include "Was it one of the bad felonies?" as a conversation point within the company.

The manufacturing industry is ugly for hiring right now.

• 1 month later...

Any manager that says baloney to workplace issues when 279 out of 280 people quit, obviously he has his head up his narcissistic butt.

Millenialials want a workplace that is joyful and fun, above all. They won't tolerate slave drivers. If they know management is behind them, they will mostly work their butts off.

Seriously?  Would bouncey houses in the parking lot or free ice cream and sprinkles at break do the trick?  Put your big boy pants on.  Trail King's job is to provide a safe work environment and write a paycheck that won't bounce.  With the new plant, we aren't talking some dank, wet and unsafe factory.  Probably have climate control and all the ergonomic advantages there are.  Haven't heard of them bouncing paychecks, so that is probably okay.

My guess, is that with an attention span of about 45 seconds for some millenials and transients, the boredom of a manufacturing job was just too much to bear.  Did TK let them have their technology devices at their work station?  Probably not, for safety reasons.  That would be a big turnoff for some workers.

Nobody tells a millenial what to do so I am guessing that the first supervisor that tells them what needs to be done is a slave driver so supervisor=slave driver.

How many of the 279 are now on some kind of public assistance because they don't know how to do a good job in the workplace?

Us millennials are doing just fine thank you.

We dont care to be modern day slaves to keep up with the Joneses like past generations.

We'd rather live in a tiny house earning less with more free time (the most important thing any of us have) than accumulating debt that forces us to keep 9-5 jobs the rest of our lives.

Knowing that one spends more time with coworkers than they do family members, we look for more than just "good pay."

Look around: There's someone else competiting to hire us just a click away.

Seriously? Would bouncey houses in the parking lot or free ice cream and sprinkles at break do the trick? Put your big boy pants on. Trail King's job is to provide a safe work environment and write a paycheck that won't bounce. With the new plant, we aren't talking some dank, wet and unsafe factory. Probably have climate control and all the ergonomic advantages there are. Haven't heard of them bouncing paychecks, so that is probably okay.

My guess, is that with an attention span of about 45 seconds for some millenials and transients, the boredom of a manufacturing job was just too much to bear. Did TK let them have their technology devices at their work station? Probably not, for safety reasons. That would be a big turnoff for some workers.

Nobody tells a millenial what to do so I am guessing that the first supervisor that tells them what needs to be done is a slave driver so supervisor=slave driver.

How many of the 279 are now on some kind of public assistance because they don't know how to do a good job in the workplace?

So trail King was offering 15/hour. I still don't believe that's a wage you can raise a family on but I guess before we can truly point fingers here we need to look at the entire compensation package including health benefits. Many employers are spending over $1000 dollars a month per employee now a days. Is trail King?

I still think trail King stinks in this one. Retaining one out of 280 employees should have had the big wigs taking a look in the mirror or at their management. Instead of blasting ex employees they should be looking at what they can do different or better. This would be the best step in making sure those future checks don't bounce. Continuing to go public and pointing fingers at a lazy generation won't do the company any good.

Seriously? Would bouncey houses in the parking lot or free ice cream and sprinkles at break do the trick? Put your big boy pants on. Trail King's job is to provide a safe work environment and write a paycheck that won't bounce. With the new plant, we aren't talking some dank, wet and unsafe factory. Probably have climate control and all the ergonomic advantages there are. Haven't heard of them bouncing paychecks, so that is probably okay.

Come work at Trail King: You won't lose an arm and your checks will actually turn into cash!

I thought that was the selling points of the 60s?

Ps..."We have heat and air conditioning!" Lol